8 months and still not right | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 months and still not right 8 months and still not right

Unread 07-26-2004, 06:22 AM
8 months and still not right

Ok sisters - I'm back next week will be 8 months post hys - my right leg is still numb. I've been away due to work and family commitments. My family is great they have been very patient with me .. work sux! they are laying off and making extremely difficult demands on us remaining employees .. 3 weeks ago i was back at the dr with extreme pain - he diagnosed fibromyalgia and 1 week after that i broke out with shingles. they are in the back of my head down my neck and my shoulder. The anti-viral meds helped but the pain is still intense - i've been home now for 2 weeks and not sure how that's going to go over with my job .. dr says i'm too stressed and too young for shingles - my body is trying to warn me... i need my sister's help! i don't want to take antidepressants - could this be a hormonal related effect or am i just in denial....thanks for your help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Antidepressant

JerseyG:

Did your doctor recommend anti-depressants? If so, what are you concerns about taking them?

My doc first recommended that I might want to try an antidepressant a couple of years ago and that was because of the PMS symptoms I complained about. DH said I wasn't really that bad and did not think it was worth it. Fast forward a couple of years, post hyst and continuing pain and the antidepressant suggestion came up again. This time I figured might as well give it a go.

I am on 25mg of zoloft daily [for many months now] and I feel better than I have in years. I still have some cyclical pain, but the zoloft has helped me manage my stress level better (stressors are still there but my reaction to them is better). Managing my stress better has lessened the frequency of the pain.

In retrospect, I wish I had listened and tried the antidepressants the first time. I felt stigmatized by the suggestion that I might need to be medicated. I am thankful now that I was able to set that aside and just try it.

An antidepressant might not be the answer for you, but I just wanted to let you know that sometimes they can be quite helpful and that you might want to read up on the particular medicine your doctor has suggested. Make sure you have been completely open and honest about all of your symptoms and that you clearly state what your treatment goals are. That will help your doctor tremendously.

Hope you are feeling better soon, whatever you decide.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register