nerve damage | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-26-2004, 08:33 AM
nerve damage

I had abdominal hyst in Jan. Still have numbness - have changed doctors and am now being treated for nerve damage with neurontin. I would like to talk to others who have had similar problems. Also what kinds of exercises are best for toning the abs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2004, 08:09 PM
nerve damage

Hi (((Joyce)))) I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time

I'm sure others will drop by real soon with some insight on how to cope with nerve damage.

Where toning ab muscles are concerned, you really need to get back to it very slowly, in order not to cause damage. At 4 months post-op, you are still in recovery mode and you really should check with your doctor first.

However, to get you started, here's a link to a program that was put together specifically for women who are recovering from hysterectomies: the creator of this program is an alumni hostess and fitness trainer... and, of course, she's had a hyst
Unread 07-26-2004, 09:05 PM
nerve damage

Joycel,
I had my TAH/BSO 1 year ago July 31st. I also suffered with an open incision 6 days post-op. 2months later and another 4 inches cut over the original cut.
I saw a second opinion and he told me I had extensive nerve damage and I need to go to a neurologist. I haven't seen one et , but was also told to see a urologist due to bladder complications from surgery.
Whew...not fun
So how is this medicine working for you? What exactly is the med?
I just did a google search on this drug. Very interesting. Did you research this drug?
How long have you been on it and have you felt a difference?
I look foward to being pain free one day. Until then...
Good luck and I hope this works for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2004, 10:29 PM
nerve damage

you know the incision from my endo surgery in 2001 is still numb as all get out. can't feel a thing there. sometimes it itches and no matter how much I scratch it, I can't feel it. I just figured it was natural since they sliced and diced me. I would be interested in knowing if that can be solved.....

Kelli
Unread 07-27-2004, 07:48 PM
nerve damage

Ooops: I just realized I forgot to post the link to the fitness page Here it is: Histeritaville Fitness
Unread 07-28-2004, 04:28 PM
nerve damage

Joyce,
Unfortunately I've been diagnosed with nerve damage. Even went so far as to have parts of the damaged nerves removed, but my problems continue. I do think my problems stem from more than just nerve damage though. I also have alot of stomach problems.

I've heard that Neurontin can help with nerve damage. It can take some time and I've heard that you may need to gradually up the doseage until you find the right dose for you.

I'm currently doing accupuncture treatments and that seems to have helped me the most. I am nowhere near cured, but it is helping some. I still have many bad days, but I get a few good days thrown in there.

Unread 07-30-2004, 11:48 PM
nerve damage

Hi Joyce,

I,too, am taking Neurontin for Nerve Damage. I've been taking it for a month now but have not seen much improvement for pain. How long have you been taking it and has it helped? My doc told me to exercise in water first and gradually work up to the gym.

Anyway, hang in there and let me know if I can answer any other specific questions.

April
Unread 07-31-2004, 04:25 AM
nerve damage

I was taking Neurontin for back pain which my g.p. thought might be from nerve damage. It didn't really seem to help at all. One bad side effect of it is tremors, so watch out for that. Luckily after my hyst, we discovered that all of that back pain was from the endo that was covering the ligaments and nerves behind my uterus. The endo and pain are gone!
Unread 07-31-2004, 04:36 AM
nerve damage

I take neurontin for neuropathy and am also being tested for MS. I take my neurontin along with elavil which my neurologist says works best together.
I still have pain but I also know that pain is A LOT worse if I forget to take my neurontin! (And I have). I have a lot less pain when I take it.
I started out on 300MG 3 times a day and have upped it by 100MG implements each week. I now take 600MG 2 times a day and 1000MG at night. I started out with 10MG of elavil at night and now take 70MG each night.
So, it may not be perfect for relieving the pain but, it does help me.
Unread 08-01-2004, 01:00 AM
nerve damage

Hi Joyce,

I'm sorry you are going through this. I have a lot of nerve damage from my TAH/BSO and I take Neurontin which helps me a great deal. The pain is never gone but I am a light weight and take a very small dose. With the Neurontin I am able to walk, without it, I stumble and trip (my foot drops).

There are parts of me that has NO feeling and parts of me that are in constant pain. All from the surgery. I would be happy to talk to you about this anytime.

Big hugs to you,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register