how quickly to develop from In Situ to Invasive? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how quickly to develop from In Situ to Invasive? how quickly to develop from In Situ to Invasive?

Unread 07-26-2004, 10:44 AM
how quickly to develop from In Situ to Invasive?

Is there an average number of years? My Doctor just told me it is hard to say. And, close follow-up is very important......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2004, 11:18 AM

I'd like to know that too. I have adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma...both in situ (stage zero).

I heard that they are slow growing, but adenocarcinoma is a little unpredictable. I'd like to know what others have heard!

Sherlyn
Unread 07-26-2004, 11:33 AM
In Situ

I had ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) / breast cancer. With breast cancer, once it's know to be there -- it is removed and treated. Minimally, a lumpectomy is done. Then depending on size of tumor, margins, and aggressiveness of tumor, additional treatment may be done. I had lumpectomy, 33 radiation treatments, and am on Tamoxifen for five years.

In my case, the tumor first showed in mammo as a suspicious microcalcification cluster in October '97. Doctor reccomended incisional biopsy. I did not want that. I got on the internet and found a new biopsy procedure (at the time) -- stereotactic core biopsy. That was done with negative results, but results from that type procedure aren't always definitive (false negative). I went with the results though and just had mammos done semi-annually for the next five years. Then the cluster showing on the mammo changed. Biopsy! A new biopsy procedure, Mammotome, was done with DCIS results. Pathology of the tumor showed that for a DCIS tumor it was on the large side. I'm guessing if I'd gotten DCIS results after first biopsy and had lumpectomy then, that the tumor would have been smaller and possibly I would not have needed radiation then.

Mary D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2004, 01:46 PM

I only had squamous CIS so I'm not sure about the adenocarcinoma (I believe it is more aggressive). They think that it takes around 10 years from CIS to go to invasive cervical cancer. They base this number on the average ages of the women being diagnosed with CIS versus the average age of women being diagnosed with cervical cancer. The problem with using averages is that it can vary substantially from person to person. That is why you need to carefully monitor any time you've had a CIS diagnosis in your cervix. Unless they missed my dysplasia in a previous pap, I went from a history of completely normal paps to CIS in 11 months (and this was without being newly exposed to HPV). So, I think for some women the progression can be very quick. I'm not sure but I think breast DCIS is a pretty different beast and much more serious than at least squamous cell cervical CIS.
Unread 07-26-2004, 02:26 PM

I don't want to scare anyone and I am definitely not typical. I had 30 years of normal pap smears and 2 pap smears within 4 months of my first symptoms of cervical cancer. It was diagnosed 10 months after my last pap smear, squamous cell stage 1B2, and a very large tumor, 6cm. SOOOO, cervical cancer can progress very, very, quickly.

My advice is, Do not wait for treatment. Just do it!

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 07-27-2004, 06:53 AM

Wow.... So many replies. Thank you all. Yes, get treated asap. I have had 2 cone biopsies and I am not willing to get a third one. I think I will request an Hysterectomy. I hope there aren't many side effects...

Kim
Unread 07-27-2004, 07:05 PM

When I went in for my LEEP, my gyn thought I had glandular cell in-situ or less (dysplasia), but the pathology came back invasive adenocarcinoma. So for me, the time from in-situ to invasive was less than a week. Go figure. Adenocarcinoma (glandular) is unpredictable.
Unread 07-27-2004, 07:14 PM
in a heartbeat

I went from low grade abnormalities, to "unable to exclude high grade abnormalities" to cancer in less than 5 months. My gyn/onc said that it doesn't normally behave this way but that doesn't mean that it can't. I was told too that since adenocarcinoma (glandular cervical) is less common, they don't have the same statistical information and it appears to be more unpredictable.
Please consult a gyn/onc.
Unread 07-28-2004, 07:02 AM

I consulted 2 GYN Oncologists since April. Both didn't recommend Hysterectomy. I had two Pathology reports, all showed Adenocarsinoma In Situ, not invasive...... I just can't tell how unpredictable this desease is......
Unread 07-28-2004, 07:34 AM

It's a tough position to be in. This is a somewhat unpredicatable condition. Try to keep in mind that approximately 90% of women are considered to be cured after their treatment with a LEEP or cone. Those are terrific numbers! Obviously we would all like to hear that 100% are cured, but we know that that's not the case. And knowing that, it's easier to remember how important it is to keep those follow-up schedules and to take good care of ourselves by eating right, taking our multivitamin, getting plenty of rest, minimizing our stress. The human body is a miraculous thing and is designed to heal itself in the majority of circumstances.

Now, if you've had 2 gyn/onc's say no hysterectomy, well, that's pretty good information right there. However, if you aren't totally comfortable with that, then try to find one more who is not associated with either of the first two. You need to be comfortable with whatever decision is made. And while it's difficult for us to say "OK, no further treatment" and then not worry about it, it's important that you find a comfort level and accept it. Worrying is stressful and stress impedes our bodies' abilities to take care themselves. It's normal and natural to worry (we've all done it and I'm as guilty as any), but it's not particularly helpful. We affectionately call that cancerhead and it does get better as the years go by.

Good luck! I hope you are able to find a decision that is comfortable for you.

and 'ers

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register