recovery time for AH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recovery time for AH? recovery time for AH?

Unread 07-26-2004, 01:03 PM
recovery time for AH?

Hi Ladies, I'm scheduled for surgery on August 5 for AH. Still not sure if I will keep my ovaries, but we'll see!
I'm supposed to start a new job on the 1st of Sept. but I'm not sure if I will be up to it. Seven years ago I had a myomectomy with a bikini cut and went back to work after 3 weeks. I'm in good shape and healthy. 46 yrs old. So, will I be ready to go back to work on the 1st? I've read lots of horror stories on this site. Anyone with some positive thoughts on recovery?

I too have a 16 week uterus due to fibroids and suffer migraines almost every month with my period. Lately I'm really feeling the effects of these aliens - really tired and bloated and clothes beginning to be too small for my prego look.

I'll be very glad to get this all over with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2004, 01:22 PM
recovery time for AH?

I'm looking forward to some stuff that doesn't look like maternity wear, too! Of course, I have a few (ahem!) pounds to lose -- but it will really help not to have the pregnant belly that can't be sucked in no matter what. Honestly -- I look like a Hotentot woman from the side (remember those Nat'l Geographic articles? Yikes!).

I haven't had my surgery yet, but it just seems to me that a Sept. 1 start date might be a tad ambitious. I don't think you should try to RUSH recovery like that. October 1 would probably not be a problem. But you want to be at your BEST for starting the new job, right?

I'm having my surgery 9/20 and I'm telling my workplace they won't see me until Nov. 1 at the earliest. Now of course I'm the boss so I can pretty much stay out as long as I want.....and I have a work computer and phone at home, so I can communicate that way.

For what it's worth, if you were coming to work for me, I'd want you to start your job at 100% strength, not 60% strength. Just my opinion, of course.

My best to you.
Unread 07-26-2004, 01:22 PM
recovery time for AH?

Hi,

The initial recovery period from a TAH is 6 to 8 weeks. It's not recommended that you return to work sooner than that, as your body needs time to heal.

Unlike a myomectomy, you will have literallly hundreds of internal sutures, an organ removed, ligaments cut and stretched and sutured, not to mention a vaginal cuff and an outer incision which will have to heal.

If at all possible, try to give yourself more time. This is major surgery, and you only get one chance at a good recovery. I know you wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize your future health after going through all of this.

Best wishes and lots of s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2004, 01:25 PM
recovery time for AH?

A vaginal cuff???? What's that?????
Unread 07-27-2004, 03:34 PM
recovery time for AH?

Hi Patty,

If you have a total hysterectomy and your cervix is removed, the vagina is stitched together on the end where the cervix was to form a cuff, kind of like pinching a toilet tissue roller together on one end and sewing it shut. This prevents anything on the inside from falling out, and anything on the outside from getting in.

s,

Lisa
Unread 07-27-2004, 04:33 PM
recovery time for AH?

Alex- I returned to work after two weeks and can tell you in all honesty that anything over 4 hours a day is too much. You don't mention if your job requires a lot of physical labor, or if the job is full time.

I'm into week 4 now and am working 4 hours a day, every other day when possible so that I have a day off in between to recuperate. I have a hard time concentrating much past 4 hours and I get a bit of swelly belly. I put ice on my incision area as soon as I get home, drink some juice, and put my feet up for 20 minutes and seem to bounce right back (so far). Every day it gets a little easier.

Good luck.
Unread 07-28-2004, 06:56 AM
recovery time for AH?

Wow -- two weeks and you were back to work???

I certainly don't plan on anything that ambitious. My dr. said 6 weeks off work, no ifs, ands, or buts.

And I have a completely sit-down job. But of course, that can actually be harder sometimes -- sitting still, that is.
Unread 07-28-2004, 10:19 AM
recovery time for AH?

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm still hoping to go back to work part time anyway after 4 weeks. I think I will be pretty bored and crazy after 4 weeks and will really need the diversion.

But who knows? I won't know anything til after surgery and just see how it goes.

At least I will be recuperating in August so I can sit in on our terrace in the sun a few hours a day.
Unread 07-28-2004, 10:43 AM
What about driving?

Hi everyone! I am still putting myself together because of what I just read about the vaginal cuff! Let's better think of something else...
My doctor told me that I will be semi-resting in bed for a week, I will be having a TAH Aug. 20. That week I won't be able to go downstairs. She said that after that week I could slowly start my daily activities, and that 6 weeks after surgery I could do everything. I forgot to ask about driving, but maybe some of you can tell me from experience.
Thanks!
anitabonita
Unread 07-28-2004, 03:26 PM
recovery time for AH?

Driving depends on your pain meds and how far you're going. I could drive after two weeks but because I had to go 15 miles to work and knew I'd be tired I had my dh drive me. If you know you're going somewhere where you'll get tired out I'd wait and have someone else drive - that's just my opinion tho'

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register