Delayed childbirth can be good | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Delayed childbirth can be good Delayed childbirth can be good

Unread 07-26-2004, 04:49 PM
Delayed childbirth can be good

Another article from www.ObGynworld.com
It seems that late childbirth may reduce chances of ovarian cancer. I know that birth control pill use also reduces the chances. I'd be interested in knowing if our sisters who have ovarian cancer had late pregnancies and/or used bc pills for an extended period of time. I had two children when I was over 35 and used the pill for 6 years in my 20's. I'm hoping those things offer me some protection, but who know? I had NO risk factors for cervical cancer but I got it anyway!

>>>>Why it is good to delay childbearing
The association between pregnancy and disease is reinforced in a study by US researchers, who claim delaying childbirth until the late reproductive years reduces a woman's risk of developing ovarian cancer.

Results showed that women who had their only child after age 35 years were half as likely to develop the cancer than nulliparous women. Earlier births provided progressively less protection, while multiple births provided more.

The study authors, led by Malcolm Pike from University of Southern California in Los Angeles, USA, speculate that the association might be mediated by the elevated levels of progesterone that accompany pregnancy, as these have been shown to inhibit ovarian tumor cell growth. <<<<

Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2004, 04:58 PM

Interesting! I had my only child at 33, but had always heard that late childbearing (or being an "elderly primapara" in ob/gyn parlance) increased the risk for cancer--breast cancer, I believe. This new study is certainly good news!
Unread 07-26-2004, 05:52 PM

Hi Janie

I have this too about delayed childbirth. But I can't quite understand the physiology behind it.
Decreasing times of ovulation: late onset of menses, birth control pills causing ovulation to cease, early onset of menopause.....
make sense to me, but I can't figure this latest bit of info.
Pregnancy causes ovulation to cease, does the timing really matter?

I had my children at age 26 and 31.
Used birth control for quite awhile in my 20's.

oxox karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2004, 06:22 PM

I used birth control for only about 6 months after I was married. I have two sons and I was 26 and 30 when I had them.

I was under the impression that if you never had any children at all your chances of ovarian cancer were higher. OH well!!

Rosalie
Unread 07-26-2004, 07:24 PM

Yes, having children at any age is beneficial for the same reason that birth control pills are beneficial and breast feeding too. ALL of those things shut down ovulation. From what I have read the fewer cylces of ovulation, the better.

I have no idea why having your last child after 35 would be helpful too, (as opposed to a younger age). From the study it seems having kids earlier helps, but not as much as having them later. It makes little sense to me. Intuitively it seems like it would be the other way around. But apparently not.

When I took the pill, many years ago, I worried about it because we heard so many screwy rumors about it causing cancers. I was never clear about which cancers, but ovarian seemed the most likely, but I was even more afraid of pregnancy so I took the pill for years and years.

When I had my kids late, I worried about that too as someone said that not having kids until late might cause ovarian cancer.
Sheeze, all that worrying and I had it all backwards. The pills AND the pregnancies, both decreased my chances.
Who knew?
<shrugs>
Janie
Unread 07-26-2004, 08:06 PM
delayed childbearing

Interesting article! I had my first child at 23 and my second at 27, nursed both of them, and took the pill for around three years, and at 31, I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I thought it was so strange that I had done all of the things listed to avoid ovca, but wound up with it anyway. I guess the researchers are always finding something that is opposite what the other articles have said.

Hugs,

Twisted Sister
Unread 07-26-2004, 08:47 PM

Twisted,
You are the opposite of everything! Ovarian cancer is supposed to be more likely as we age and have more ovulation cycles. You were young, and with babies, breast feeding and the pill, you wouldn't have very many cycles.
Go figure! It stinks at any age.
Hugs,
Janie
Unread 07-27-2004, 07:08 PM
interesting

Interesting study. My two paternal aunts had/have ovarian cancer.

My first aunt never had children (although she tried) and did not spend much time if any on the birth control pill....she had a hysterectomy in her early 40s but they left her ovaries....bang, 8 years later she got ovarian cancer and fought it with everything she had. Sadly, she passed away just before her 50th birthday.

My second aunt also never had children (although she tried too) and as far as I know never spent time taking the birth control pill. At 45, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and she beat it. At 52 she was diagnosed with ovarian. She is 60 now and still fighting it every step of the way. She was and is a tremendous support for me.

Given that ovarian cancer is a risk to our family, being that my aunts never had children and didn't take the pill was a major risk factor for them. My sister will be 34 this year....and I always felt that she should hurry up and have kids to minimize her risk of ovca...now some good news for her that she's possibly doing the right thing -- assuming that she does have them someday!

Thanks for the information Janie.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register