Very Frustrated, Very Nervous, Need to Vent :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very Frustrated, Very Nervous, Need to Vent :( Very Frustrated, Very Nervous, Need to Vent :(

Unread 07-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Very Frustrated, Very Nervous, Need to Vent :(

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with endometrial (uterine) cancer back on July 8. I wasn't able to get an appointment to see a gyn/onoclogist until the July 20. I was hoping to be in the hospital by next week but there's a HUGE hold up!

I have type II diabetes that was diagnosed a few weekes before my cancer diagnoses and am still in the process of getting *it* under control. My GP is not comfortable with clearing me for surgery so she has referred me to an endocronologist (to stabilize the diabetes) and an internist (since I am on and will be on a veritable cocktail of drugs)

What has be so frustrated is that I can't get in to see them until August 19! That means that I might not be cleared for surgery for another 2 weeks after that, WAHHHHH!!!

I'm so afraid of this STUFF inside of me and I'm so anxious for them to get it out. I'm scared that it's goingto spread while I sit at home twiddling my thumbs waiting or my Drs appointments.

As if this isn't stressfull enough, I was downsized some time ago and am now a full time student and my husband is a free lancer so we do not have health insurance so I have to fill out a ton of paperwork telling people how poor we are just so I can get services. I know intellectually that this is nothing to be ashamed of but it's still tough.

I'm afraid if the cancer doesn't kill me the stress of everything will. I just want this to be over.

If you made it this far, thank you, thank you , thank you! I just need other women who understand what's happening to vent to.

I wish I could say I feel better now but I guess it'll take time......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2004, 03:42 PM

Hello Everdean

I am so sorry you are going thru all of this right now.....waiting really can be the worst part......i only had to wait an extra week to have my surgery done by a gyn/onc, but went thru the same fears and thoughts as you are going thru right now.....

Have you asked to be put on cancellation lists ???? Just a thought......Hopefully this will be over for you and you will have a great diagnosis after surgery !!! Keep us posted please....
Unread 07-27-2004, 03:43 PM

Hello,

I read your posting and just wanted to reach out to you. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time and have so much on your plate.

Try to take it one step at a time...though I know that must be difficult. And, don't forget to take time out to do things for yourself, things you enjoy.

Hang in there...and I am sending you great big s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Possible help

Everdean, The Patient Advocate Foundation may be of some help to you now or in the future.

www.patientadvocate.org

They can be of help with insurance, employment, and credit (debt) problems. Take a look at their web site. I did contact them when I thought I was going to have a problem with my health insurer. (Whew! I didn't.)

Good luck! Hope you're able to get the surgery done soon. Waiting and waiting and waiting is soooo hard.

Mary D.
Unread 07-27-2004, 04:12 PM

Hi,
The waiting is always the hardest. First of all...uterine cancer is generally a slower progressing cancer than others...and even if things look to you as bleak..they aren't. God bless you that you have t deal with all of the filing that you are poor and need this crap...no one should have to deal with that or any insurance problems while they have to battle cancer. But, know that you are strong and that you deserve all the medical help that this country has to offer.
Love, Sally
Unread 07-27-2004, 05:05 PM
What a scary spot to be in!

The wait is indeed the worst. It's frustrating and scary on its own without the concerns of no health insurance atop it. Deep breaths and one step at a time. Do get on a cancelation list and keep coming here for support.
Unread 07-27-2004, 07:22 PM

I don't have any info. for you. Just wanted to give you a BIG HUG!!! Sorry, you're going through all of this and hope they get it straightened out soon so they can do surgery.

I know how scary all of this can be. I was pretty much thrown into the big "C" thing and now onto radiation soon. It's a big scary mess out here.

Big hugs and relaxing thoughts sent your way!
Deanna
Unread 07-27-2004, 08:16 PM

Hi Everdean,

I know what youare going through. I also dont have insurance and I will be going to surgery in 1 week. I have been trying to fight with social workers for any kind of help. I am 19 and my job doesnt offer insurance and I had a written note from my doctor saying that I needed emergency surgery(I have a large complex mass) two social workers said that I didnt apply to any of the emergency assistance programs because they are not designed for United States citizens. It is hard to be ill and to not know what is happening and then you have to fight with theese people to get any kind of medical help. The social worker also told me that since the docotr wrote the note that I needed emergency surgery that I should go ahead and pay for it out of my pocket!!! I am only 19 and I dont even make that much I mean I still live with my mom. I will have to stay in the hospital for 3 days plus the surgery plus medicine plus my doctor visits before and after plus my ultrasound and my blood tests I would be looking at 20-30 thousand dollars if not more, I would be in debt for my entire life. I finally caught a break there is a program here in Minnesota that if you are hospitalized they will cover everything during your time at the hospital and you pay a deductable of $1,000.00 unfortunately I will still be financially responsible for my ultrasound,medicine,blood test, and any doctor visits before and after surgery(It still better than paying $30,000) I know at times I felt like giving up I was tired with fighting with people who dont care what happens to you. It was like I couldnt get any help they were just going to leave me for dead. At one point I called the hospital and spoke to my doctors nurse and told her I wouldnt be able to afford surgery and I asked her what would happen if I dont have surgery she told me that the mass could rupture my organs, cause infection, or destroy my fallopin tube. I cried and cried. I dont think anyone should have to go through this I feel deaply for you. You deserve medical help dont give up. Also I know how it feels to have delayed treatment I need emergency surgery and I have to wait two weeks and if I wanted my doctor to do it I would of had to wait a month and a half. But if my mass pops or ruptures my bowel I will get surgery right away. Sometimes it doesnt make sense but you have to keep trying. Its a long road but you need to keep walking. I will pray for you to get financial help for your bills and to get help for your health. I am so sorry that you are in this situation and I hope everything pans out and ask social workers or someone with the state what sort of emergency medical assistance. In Minnesota they offer state health insurance ours takes one month to process so I couldnt wait for that, if your state has a insurance program see how long it would take to process and see if you could do that.

Good luck,
Solstice
Unread 07-28-2004, 08:52 AM

Hi (((Everdean))) I am sorry for all the delays and know the waiting is very hard. While the surgery delay is very frustrating, it is important that your doctors discovered the diabetes and are getting it under control before your operation and possible chemo/radiation treatments, etc. Have you discussed your need to see an endocronologist with your gyn/onc? S/he might be able to call the endocronologist to move up your appointment there? Also, perhaps the gyn/onc at least can set up a temporary surgery date. Please share your concerns about delaying the surgery with your gyn/onc. Fyi, my gyn/onc told me before my surgery last summer that if I had major vacation plans, etc. a month or two delay would not be a problem because endometrial cancer generally grows slowly.
Please let us know how you are doing. I will keep you in prayer.
s and blessings, peggiesue
Unread 07-28-2004, 09:21 AM
So familiar

First, you've come to the right place. I too am type II and was diagnosed with endo ca. I was scheduled for surgery after the dx and had to wait 6 weeks. The waiting is the worst part. As far as the dx. did you get a uterine biopsy and find out what grade it was? Mine was 1 and my doctor reassured me that it is slow growing and the wait would not make any difference. Course, that doesn't mean beans when it's you having to wait and your imagination is runny crazy.

As for the diabetes... It all was ok with me. I'm on the meds, pretty high doses and they were very good about monitoring in the hospital. I was put on insulin in the hospital and that made me uneasy thinking about that, but it was nothing. Since you can't eat much before and after surgery, they make sure to keep an eye on bg levels. If it falls under a certain range you get to slide, if it goes over, you get a bit of insulin. I did not have any problems.

It's not a cake walk this surgery but once you wake up in the recovery room the relief is enormous. Then, whatever has to be done is progress. Hang in. It's tough waiting, but eventually, it will be over. Good luck. Push the doc's for speeding up the processes. I think they just don't understand how tough it is to wait.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register