6 days and wondering | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days and wondering 6 days and wondering

Unread 12-05-2000, 01:51 PM
6 days and wondering

I am scheduled for surgery 12/12 due to heavy bleeding
and nothing has worked relieve it. This is my first
post -- I have just been reading...and worrying and
wondering

Have read that c-sections are worse as far as recovery
time...is that true?

Wondering how many have scarring that was discovered
during surgery from past c-sections?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2000, 02:25 PM
6 days and wondering

Hi LadyRen,

Welcome. Keep reading and asking questions. You can search posts, too - just click on the little globe-with-magnifying-glass that's in the uppper-right part of the page.

I bumped one thread about c-sections vs. hysts to the top of the list. I saw another one recently, but can't find it now - try searching. I have no experience with either, and I'd guess it depends a lot on which kind of hyst you have. Do you know yet? But everything I've heard says an abdonimal hyst (TAH) is harder than a cesaerian. Hard to believe, since c-sections seem so brutal and dramatic compared to a few snips and some stiches, but everybody says so. I hope someone with actual experience will fill in the details.
Unread 12-05-2000, 05:41 PM
6 days and wondering

I had a TAH, and have never had a c-section (no kids), but everyone I have talked to said an abdominal hysterectomy is MUCH more difficult to recovery from than a c-section. Much longer recovery time. Good luck and please stay in touch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2000, 05:48 PM
6 days and wondering

Ladyren-
First of all let me start by saying welcome to the site.
Second, I have had 3 c-sections and one hysterectomy. Let me assure you c-section is a cake walk compared to a hysterectomy. Recovery time is long with a hyster, up to 6 months or longer to fully recover. And with a hyster, they are taking major organs out, with a c-section they are just taking baby, which was supposed to come out anyway.
As for adheasions, or scar tissue, because I had 3 sections, I could not get a vaginal hyster. I needed total abdominal. There was scar tissue there but it wasn't too bad. Naturally if you have had c-sections there is going to be scarring there, for any surgery you get adheasions. If it would have been really bad, Dr. told me they would remove some of it.
Unread 12-05-2000, 06:22 PM
6 days and wondering

I have had both c-section and TAH. Hyst took longer to recover from and have a longer scar (14 staples with c-section and 25 with hyst). The hyst took more out of me but I did not have a new baby to take care of at the time and I had help from my Mother. Make sure you don't over do it the first three to four weeks, that is very important in determining how long it will take you to recover. By the 7th week I was feeling pretty good and had most of my energy back. I feel better now that I ever have, my TAH was 2/7/00. Good Luck! Christina
Unread 12-05-2000, 08:40 PM
WELCOME!!!

Hi Ladyren...

I, too, was never able to have children, so I don't know about the c-section, BUT, I can tell you, that I started feeling pretty good about three weeks after surgery, and a little after six weeks, I started feeling great.

I had a TAH 09/13/00, to remove a rather large (almost soccer ball sized) fibroid, and I too had been bleeding pretty good. My tumor was so large that I had to have a vertical incision, not the bikini cut.

I only know one thing that I can't say enough...however long, 3,4,5,6 weeks, whatever it takes to recover, it is worth it! No more bleeding, no more pain...

It has been three months now since my surgery, and, unless I glance at the beautiful scar running down my stomach, I truly forget that I even had it done!

Good luck to you...my thoughts and prayers will be with you!
Cindy
Unread 12-06-2000, 06:38 AM
6 days and wondering

Thank you for your replies!!!!!

TAH to be done 12/12, unsure about ovaries. How did you
feel as relates to gas, etc. after the operation. Did
you find that walking around and eating fruits and vegs
helped the most? What did the nurses do and/or suggest?

I was pretty uncomfortable with my last c-section and from
what I am hearing this will be worse.

Thanks again.
Unread 12-06-2000, 07:27 AM
gas pains

Hi,
I think I left fingernail marks on the toilet tissue with the pains! They were the worst! But it doesnt last long! Be sure you take a stool softner and drink plenty of water, no soda the bubbles make worse! Some women take GasX, I had it here but did not take it. Didnt have time! Walk, walk and then walk some more that helps alot. Hope this helps!!

Hugs!
Unread 12-06-2000, 07:36 AM
6 days and wondering

Ah, yes, the :gas pains...it was definately not pretty! I took colace (stool softener) and phazyme (for gas) and just kind of kept taking them until I felt I was out of reach of the pains. I started off with the max dosage on the colace until the first BM, then like one a day for a couple of weeks. The gas pains didn't last but a week or two, and not constant, but, once those are gone it gets much easier.

I started walking in the hospital just as soon as they would let me, and walked, and walked and walked. The nurses said that that definately helps.

Also...just read this last night...go to the home page at Hystersisters, and look in the section "princesses tell their stories", the go to the story that is titled something like "this one will make you ROFL"...it's priceless! Then if you need more funnies on how to get out of the hospital fast, read my story, dated 10/02/00, about my guaranteed way to get out of the hospital fast.

Hope those stories bring a smile to your face and that your recovery is fast and easy...thoughts and prayers:

Cinifini - Cindy
Unread 12-06-2000, 07:59 AM
6 days and wondering

Hi Ladyren :-)
I had a TAH/BSO on Nov28th. I had 3 C-Sections and I found the hysterectomy as far as pain to be far lesser compared to my C-Sections, but then again I believe that it varies from person to person. Just have a good positive outlook and don't go into surgery thinking the worst. Don't wait until the pain is so bad that you can't stand it to ask for pain medicine. It will hurt to turn cough and deep breathe, but do it anyway! Splint your incision with a pillow or a stuffed animal and walk when you can, but don't exhaust yourself and listen to your body. As far as the gas problem,
I listened to one of the ladies here that told me to drink beverages that are non-carbonated and not ice cold. ABSOLUTELY NO STRAWS!!!! take only small sips, but drink plenty. The only thing I drank was water and juice. Eat foods that are not gasey. I did this and had very little problem with gas and again I think that this varies from person to person. Not everyones body reacts the same way to things. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and just hang in there and stay POSITIVE! Get lotsa help and rest.

Lana TAH/BSO (I am also a registered nurse in the Operating Room):-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register