No Relief from Pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Relief from Pain No Relief from Pain

Unread 07-27-2004, 06:01 PM
No Relief from Pain

I have been prescribed everything from Ibuprofen, Annoprox, to Celebrex for pain. I was given Tylenol 3 last month as was able to take it in the evening, but could not take it during the day. I does help, however.

I went in for an appointment today to get a refill on the Tylenol OR any other non-narcotic precription to help me. The doctor prescribed Celebrex and I have taken twice the dosage to only have my pain increased. She gave me a presciption for Tylenol, but was very reluctant. I felt as though she thought I was a "junkie" or something. I told my husband that the doctor does not seem to understand how much pain I am in (multiple fiboids, enlarged uterus, Hysterectomy scheduled for 9/8/04).

I am getting so depressed and starting to wallow in self-pity because I am so miserable and tired of being in pain.

I told the Dr. today that I need medicine that will take away my pain AND allow me to function during the day so that I can go to work. I have to work.

Help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2004, 06:35 PM
No Relief from Pain

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. I too just posted about the pain that just wont go away.

I was given motrin 800 and celebrex and they never touched my pain. I kept telling my Doctor also that I had to work too.

But I could not deal with this pain and I let him know yesterday that I couldnt take it anymore. So he prescribed me percocet, which let me tell you, i was able to sleep last night. Today the pain came really bad at work, and I split the pill in half. It dulled my pain, and I was still able to function.

You and you alone have to tell your doctor how much pain you are in, and that you need something. Do not feel bad for asking, and do not let them get to you like that. If the tylenol's work, than by all means ask for it.

Just my humble opinion. I went to long in pain, and I know how you feel.

Tasha
Unread 07-27-2004, 06:52 PM
No Relief from Pain

I have been taking tylenol #3 for pain,(migraine and horrible cramping) I have found that if I take i with a meal in the a.m. I am able to function and it holds my pain to a point that if I follow up with 600 motrin it is enough. I usually will take a 1/2 of tylenol 3 later in the day. I feel like a total addict and I wonder what I will take for pain post op as tylenol 3 is usually what they prescribe and I am taking that now....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2004, 07:08 PM
No Relief from Pain

I am so sorry you are suffering so much Shesa... your surgery is still quite a ways off...

I've been in horrible pain since Memorial Day. Have had to take Vicodin off & on, but even just a half of the lowest dose makes me drowsy and vague. My surgery is this Friday and I am soooo ready.

If you find something like Motrin or Extra strength Tylenol that helps, take it and stay ahead of the pain. Once it kicks in, it's so hard to get it to quiet down.

A lot of us were going to try to get a lot done before surgery, but I've had to make peace with the fact that I had to be satisfied just getting to work!

Don't overdo!!
Hang it there... it will be over eventually!
Lisa
Unread 07-27-2004, 10:37 PM
No Relief from Pain

Boy, can I relate to how you feel.

((((hugs)))))

I am a stay at home mom with three young children and I need to be very "with it" mentally. But for the very exact same reason, I also need to be at least somewhat pain free/or managed, KWIM?

I take Darvocet. And, like you, I feel that every time I go to refill, I'm made to feel like I'm an addict. It is horribly frustrating and even though it's not productive there is a part of me that really really reeeeeeeeeeeeally wonders; if a man were having penile pain and were seeing a male dr. would the same thing be an issue?

I think not!

(((hugs)))

Hang in there. That's all we can do I guess, and be persistent. I try to tell myself everytime I feel myself getting frustrated, that the dr. is working for *me* not the other way around!
Unread 07-29-2004, 12:37 PM
No Relief from Pain

i know how you feel. i have been on vicodin for two months now and my biggest fear is that whatever they give me after won't work. unfortunately, i have a very strong tolerance to pain pills.
i hope something will work. i am sure your doctor will make sure you are comfortable.
Unread 07-29-2004, 12:51 PM
No Relief from Pain

Tasha, my doctor doesnt want me to take any ibprohen at all and it is the only thing that works, I cant even bend over without pain, but Advil makes for more bleeding and thats all I have done for three weeks, 45 more days to go.... Denna
Unread 07-29-2004, 01:08 PM
No Relief from Pain

Oh, wow, this all sounds _so_ familiar! I went from bad cramps (800 mg ibuprofen every 4 hours on the dot or else!) to a weird steady pain like a leftover cramp that the ibuprofen just doesn't touch. I was waking up every night and not being able to get back to sleep because it hurt so much. My doctor prescribed percocet, which at least let me sleep - but I feel so weird the way I have to plan to take the stuff! (I don't dare take it in the daytime because it really knocks me out - though I may try a half tablet tomorrow is things get bad again.) If I have to be at work at 7:15 AM, then I can only take one pill right before bed; if I can go in at 9 AM, then I can take a pill at 9 PM and another at 2:30 - 3 AM when I wake up hurting. And so on.... (Can't wait for Sunday when I can sleep in!) I do end up feeling like an addict.

I had an ultrasound yesterday - the poor tech left bruises, because I was so sore I kept clenching my stomach muscles, not on purpose - so I'm hoping they'll have some kind of answer soon as to what's causing this and what my options are.

It's a relief to know that other people are dealing with the same issues - but I wish none of us were!

M.
Unread 07-29-2004, 01:11 PM
No Relief from Pain

I have found that Toradol works better than anything else for my pain.(and I've tried everything!) It is specifically for pain with inflammation. You just can't take it on an empty stomach. Maybe you could see what your doctor thinks about that medicine? Hope it helps!
Unread 07-29-2004, 08:41 PM
No Relief from Pain

s Shesa!! I feel your pain (literally)! I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about the severe pain I've been in. I have multiple cysts on both ovaries and my uterus tilts backwards causing terrible back pain. It has gotten to the point that I am in constant pain now. I've tried all the OTC pain meds (Advil, Motrin, Tylenol...)The doctor has prescribed Darvocet (that didn't touch it either. Now I'm taking Vicidon ES (7.5 mg the strongest). When I first started taking it I felt like a zombie...I couldn't take it at work. (I'm a corrections officer at a jail). I certainly couldn't take care of inmates half stoned lol!! But now I've taken it for soooo long I have built up somewhat of a tolerance to it I guess. I can take it and function completely (which is scary)!! I still don't have a date set for my hysterectomy because my state (Virginia) requires a 30 day waiting period if you don't have children...and I don't. I'm scheduled for a lap. Aug. 11th which will be the "final" "hoop" to jump through for insurance and then I can start my 30 day waiting period!! It's crazy!! All the while I'm popping pills like an addict!! Not really; but you know what I mean...I feel like one every time I carry my new prescription in to the pharmacy. I'm almost embarrassed ! And I hate to ask the gyn. for the script too...I'm scared he'll think I'm a junkie! Oh well...Whatever it takes to get us through this I guess. You're not in this alone - I'm right there with you girl (probably a lot of the other sisters are too)!! BUT THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL!!!!!
(If I can just find my way out of the meds. fog lol)!!

~Christy~

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register