Baby after LEEP? Daughter having problems with labor (pregnancy/labor discussed) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Baby after LEEP? Daughter having problems with labor (pregnancy/labor discussed) Baby after LEEP? Daughter having problems with labor (pregnancy/labor discussed)

Unread 07-27-2004, 06:11 PM
has anyone had baby after LEEP? Daughter having problems.

Hi Girls,
My daughter has been in labor since Sunday night, she had a leep in '00 for mild displasia, they are telling her that because of scar tissue, the cervix isn't dialating. She has been checked into the hospital 3 times so far, but they send her home because she still isn't dialating, spelling that wrong, but too tired to care.
They told her it would probably just rip (cervix that is), seems to me that if she had good insurance, they would be keeping her in the hospital, but that is a momma talking.
How many days are they going to let her go? This is her 3rd child, but first since the leep. She even had bloody discharge this morning (wow, only place I can say that).
Just want to know if anyone can let me know what to expect on this birth.
Thanks and take care,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2004, 09:00 PM
Baby after LEEP? Daughter having problems with labor (pregnancy/labor discussed)

(((Pam))) So sorry to hear your daughter is having difficulties with this labor/delivery situation. I had a cone biopsy after my first baby, and they were actually more concerned that I would not be able to sustain any subsequent pregnancies because the cervix would likely be too weak. However, several babies later, I was not having any problems carrying a baby to term.

I also did not have any problems dilating, but I know that that is one of the less common side effects. Scar tissue can be unpredictable at best. However, if she had her bloody show this morning, then I'm guessing her cervix is working on dilating. At some point they will decide that she is truly in labor and will admit her (once her contractions are 4 minutes apart or less for at least a couple of hours). They may even try to augment her labor to try to intensify it and see if they can coerce her cervix to dilate. If they are not successful within a reasonable period of time, they will move to a C-section.

I did have one pregnancy where I had intermittent labor for about 3 days. My contractions would get to 5 minutes and stay there for about 4 hours and then they would quit for a few hours. It was maddening!

In the meantime, your daughter should make sure that the baby is continuing to move. If she is ever in question about that, she should report immediately to the ER.

I will be keeping DD and baby in my 'ers.

Unread 07-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Baby after LEEP? Daughter having problems with labor (pregnancy/labor discussed)

I too would encourage her to keep very close count of babies movments each hour. I think the minimum is 4 per 1/2 hour. I had laser surgery on the cervix, then the 5FU cream, many biopsy's and successfully delivered 4 children. If she has had her bloody show this means delivery is on it's way. Has her water broken yet? I would be concerned with the babies maconieum(sp?) depending on if she is full term or not.

Will keep her in my prayers.

Blessings to you,

Wildflowers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2004, 10:28 PM

All I can offer is s and ers
Unread 07-27-2004, 11:42 PM

Hi Pam, I hope that as you read this you have already held your new healthy grand baby and that the delivery was uneventful. just eanted to comment on the "keep sending her home" question. i understand this is actually common practive until the mom is found to be in active labor. The term active labor is actually a medical term, and means very specific things. For example, the cervix has to dialate X amount in Y time; hospitals also rarely keep laboring patients unless they are at least 4 centimeters dialated. This is not for cost reasons (though I am sure decreased cost is a plus), but for the mom's comfort. When the cervix is not that dialated, delivery is not immenent, and both mom and baby tend to fare better in their owm homes. Mom can walk around to help out the situation, have family around, eat whatever she wants, etc. Hope this helps, Judy
Unread 07-28-2004, 12:54 AM

I too went to the hospital three times before I was admitted. I wasn't in real labor. Even when I was admitted, it took lots of walking to get things going well. It was pretty fast once got going for real!

If your daughter had the bloody discharge, her cervix is dialating and she's on her way! Most women deliver within 24 hours of that happening.

Congrats on the new grandchild! How wonderful!

Janie
Unread 07-28-2004, 04:06 PM

Hi
I had my last daughter after a cone biopsy and had no trouble either except it seemed like I was in labor for weeks! I had a cerclage in after the surgery and when they took it out at 36 weeks I was 3 1/2 cm.2 weeks later I was up to 4 and then 5 and they STILL wouldn't admit me.Finally they let me in because I live so far away and my baby was not passing the non stress test.and they actually called it inducing because they broke my water, even though i was 5 cm. dilated! I'm not sure why either, but labor went fine and I had a healthy baby girl.Hopefully you have a little grandbaby by now too.
Amy
Unread 07-28-2004, 06:15 PM

Pam, I was a Labor room nurse and know all to well that these things happen. How often are her contractions? Do they stop? Is she very uncomfortable? If she is not dilating and her contractions stop then she is probably not in real active labor as of yet. If the heartbeat is strong and between 120 and 160 then there is nothing to worry about until a more active labor begins. How many weeks is she? Is she over due? As someone else said they may wait awhile to see if her contractions are strong enough or help her along with medication to bring on labor when the time is right. The worst thing that could happen is she would need a C-section but that would be a last resort. She is better off at home for now. I wish her much luck and pray this doesn't drag on too long..........

Emily
Unread 07-28-2004, 06:40 PM

I had cryosurgery between my first and second babies and I dialated just fine. The doctors can always see my scar when they look at my cervix. I am not sure how bay your daughter's procedure was, but they just need to give her some time or maybe start her on pit. I was induced with my second and everything was a breeze.

BTW - I never really had mild displaysia - Dr. ran an insurance scam with state insurance, rushed to do colpo and cryo and pap had only come back abnormal one time and it had been taken 3 weeks after the birth of my first baby. Same doctor did the same thing to my sister who was also on state insurance. We were both 19 and just too stupid to know the difference. We trusted our doctors.

Sorry - I vented there at the end. Just pay attention to the top post.
Unread 07-29-2004, 06:26 AM

Still no baby! But the contractions did stop Tuesday night, so my daughter is in a little better mood. When she finally got to see her doctor, he did give her something. Her due date isn't till Aug. 20, so they really didn't want her going into active labor this soon. Contractions were down to 4 minutes each time she went to hospital, but as we know, she was the only one who could gage how strong they were and she has always been, umm, lets just say a..., nope can't use that word either.... I got it , she's a whimp.
What had me so scared was what they had told her about her cervix, they made it sound like the kid would just fall out as she was walking down the street. I feel so much better now that you girls have shared that you didn't have that happen.
I have told her every thing you have said and it made her feel better too.
Thanks girls, you are the greatest.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register