Completely stupid about all this.. HELP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Completely stupid about all this.. HELP! Completely stupid about all this.. HELP!

Unread 07-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Completely stupid about all this.. HELP!

Hi all.... I have been posting on this site for a long time, but just recently found out that the path reports found cervical cancer. Since they removed the cervix, I assumed that it was all gone... I have had HPV for atleast 8 years and it went untreated for the first three. The only reason I can pinpoint about when I got it, is becuase my DD was born with it. I am 4 1/2 weeks post op, and already have developed a small bump in my vagina. I see my doc on August 4th, but I was hoping someone could shed some light on this. Is there a posibility with the hpv could have caused the cervical cancer to spread? They said that the cancer was only detected by microscope. I still have to have a pap done quarterly, but very nervous about the bump. They found it yesterday during another pelvic due to excessive pain and possible yeast infection. (come to find out, I passed one of my kidney stones) Any advise or input would be more than welcome! Thank you and please forgive my stupidity in all of this... Diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2004, 08:00 PM

Anyone????
Unread 07-27-2004, 08:15 PM

Hi
DaisyRae...I'm sorry for all you are going thru

Unfortunately, I dont' have an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers....I hope everything goes well for you! (and I'm sure someone much more knowledgable than I will be along shortly with information for you!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2004, 08:25 PM

Hi DaisyRae:

Sorry I too don't have any info on this matter but wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and know that some of the other ladies will be along with lots of info.

Please let us know how all goes on your subsequent visits and I'm wishing you good results.

Sending you lots of s
Unread 07-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi Daisy

I've got another cancer so I'm not up on cervical, but...you are NOT stupid! Not at all! You're like most of the rest of us--hit by the news and starting to learn. It's a big learning curve, but one thing I can assure you--you are NOT stupid. We have a number of cervical cancer survivors here and they can be specific. Hysters is a good site and the women who share your diagnosis can get you started on learning. It's hard, it's scary and all the unknowns and what ifs get pretty confusing at times. When you go one step at a time you'll get to the knowledge you need.
Unread 07-27-2004, 08:32 PM

Thank you all for your support... I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!!! Thank you for not thinking I am stupid.. I felt so prepared for surgery, and learned alot in the past four and a half weeks about hematoma's, kidney stones, etc... but was completely blindsighted by this whole thing.. I am sure most women feel that way.. I knew that the odds of the path report showing cervical cancer were pretty good, but I never dreamed I would have another lump in my vagina, especially this soon after surgery! Atleast I know I dont have to do this alone... Single mom here, and its not like I can talk about this with the kiddos!~ Thanks again.. Diana
Unread 07-27-2004, 08:44 PM

(((Diana))) Welcome to Cancer Concerns! So sorry to hear that they found cervical cancer, but happy to hear that it was found at such an early stage. Microscopic cervical cancer (if all of it was only microscopic) is generally determined to be stage 1a, and treatment for that is a hysterectomy. Have you seen a gynecologic oncologist? They are the experts when it comes to female cancers, and they know all the current treatment and surgical techniques. It might be nice for you to discuss your case with a gyn/onc just to determine that no additional intervention is required at this time.

HPV is a very tricky virus. There really is no treatment for it. Right now, all they can do is remove abnormal cells as they show up. Many times, the immune system will fight this off, and so most women never have any symptoms of an HPV infection. The other tricky thing about this particular virus is that it can hide for a very long time. Women are known to carry this virus 30+ years sometimes before it ever manifests itself.

I'm curious--you said your daughter was born with HPV. What signs did she have? It is extremely rare for a baby to show any signs of this, and if they do, it tends to be in the vocal cords or in the eyes. Just curious, if you don't mind sharing that information.

Now as far as the bump in your vagina. You didn't specify where it's at, but keep in mind that it could be caused by lots of things that are not in the least related to cancer. It's not uncommon for a cyst to develop in some locations. Also, if it's near the vaginal cuff, it could be a stitch that became imbedded and is inflamed. So try not to jump to the cancer thought quite yet. Vaginal cancer is very rare. It would also be highly unusual for a microscopic cervical cancer to have metastisized. I'm happy to hear that your doctor is aware of this bump. Make sure to follow up on it.

Glad to hear that you will be having quarterly PAP's. Unfortunately, once you have HPV it can stay with you forever, so it's very important that you have those regular check-ups so that you can make sure it's not trying to make a come-back. Try to maximize your immune function to minimize the chances that it will recur. Eat well. Take a multivitamin (folic acid may play a role in protecting our cells against HPV). Get plenty of rest. Exercise moderately. Pray/meditate/do yoga. All of these things are believed to boost your immune system.

Good luck, Diana. I hope the bump turns out to be nothing to worry about, and I wish you a happy, health-filled future.

Oh--stupid and not knowledgeable are two totally different things. I'd say your'e pretty smart to realize that you need to learn more about your situation and seek out information so that you can make intelligent health decisions.
Unread 07-27-2004, 08:57 PM
VERY PERSONAL!!!!!!!!!!

Jeanine, Hi and thank you for your post... First off, one of the family practice docs found the bump in my vagina, and he said it wasn't near the stitches, and said I should definatly get it checked out. I see my obgyn on the 4th and he will refer me to an obgyn/onc in PA becuase I am moving there in less than four weeks... Hope it is nothing, but I am thinking it is just the HPV, as there is no end to that virus.. lives in your spine forever...

I had no idea that there was even such a think as vaginal cancer... I believe that the cervical cancer is all gone, and was fortunate enough to not really have to deal with it.. They found it in pathology, after my hyst.. so I never even knew I had it.. I was just curious about what kind of damage hpv can do to the vagina after a hyst... I have received several different forms of treatment for it... What can they do now? Leep?

Thank you again for your advise and response.. Diana
PM you the rest of the info
Unread 07-27-2004, 09:18 PM

(((Diana)))

Keeping in mind that HPV takes many different forms, I suppose it is possible that your bump is a condyloma, although I would think they would have been able to diagnose that by visual inspection. Condyloma (or what we all think of as genital warts) is typically caused by HPV-11 which has a very low-risk for cancer activity. Other types of HPV (such as 16 and 18) are the high-risk types for cervical cancer and dysplasia. These types of HPV are generally only detected when a PAP comes back as abnormal. It is responsible for changes at the cellular level, so there isn't any kind of external sign (like a condyloma) until it is so advanced that a tumor starts to grow.

If for some reason they determine that this bump is suspicious, it can be removed by wide excision (they remove the bump and some of the healthy tissue surrounding it), or it can be removed by laser if it's in a small area. That is a decision to be made by your gyn/onc since s/he will have the best information on treatment techniques. If there is more widespread involvement, then there is a vaginal chemo that can be done, though I have heard it is an extremely uncomfortable treatment.

As far as HPV living on in your system, this particular virus does not reside in the spine. It infects cells and then goes about changing the cell's DNA makeup so that as it splits off to form new cells, the new cells have the modified and abnormal DNA structure. For some reason, the body does not recognize the altered DNA as being a foreign invader, and thus the cell is not killed off as it's supposed to be. There are other viruses such as the herpes simplex virus and the herpes zoster virus (responsible for shingles) that reside in the spinal nerves and when activated move down the spinal nerve and aggravate a response in the cells, but HPV does not follow that pathway.

Keep us posted on what you learn. You will be in my 'ers.

Unread 07-27-2004, 09:51 PM

Hi again.. You are very informed about hpv... way more than I ever was.. My obgyn is the one who told me that my hpv would live in my spine forever. Not sure what strand that is... But, never had any warts other than on my cervix before... so, not sure what this is now... Not sexually active at all, infact, sex, what is that??!! So, who knows...

You said: There are other viruses such as the herpes simplex virus and the herpes zoster virus (responsible for shingles)
I have had shingles twice in my stomach and side... is this the same thing???? Diana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register