meaning of "clearn margin"? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

meaning of "clearn margin"? meaning of "clearn margin"?

Unread 07-28-2004, 07:05 AM
meaning of "clearn margin"?

My first Lase Cone in May came back with Possitive margins. So I went for a LEEP last week, and yesterday I was told that the pathology report came back with clear margins. So, I assume this is a better result than last time. But, how realiable it is? And what exactly it means?

Thank you!!

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2004, 07:23 AM

"Clear margins" are words all of us want to hear on our pathology report. What that means is that on the pathology slides, the lesion was visible and was surrounded by healthy tissue. The thought is, then, that all of the abnormal cells were removed. That appears to be true in the majority of cases. However, (and not to rain on your parade) there is such a phenomenon as "skip lesions" meaning that there can be several lesions scattered throughout the region, rather than just one big lesion. Sometimes they can see evidence of this on the pathology, sometimes not. My understanding of this is that it's not necessarily common, but that it does appear to happen more frequently with adenocarcinoma than with squamous cell carcinoma. It's an excellent question to ask your doctor, and regardless of the reply, you will still need to be closely followed to monitor for any evidence that abnormal cells are trying to proliferate again.

In the meantime, I would be cautiously optimistic. I consider it to be very good news, but it is difficult to know with 100% certainty what it means.

I'm celebrating for you!

Unread 07-28-2004, 07:51 AM

Jeanine,
Thank you for the words. You are indeed a wonderful person. How are you feeling? I read a thread you posted about a week or two ago. Hopefully things got taken care of already......

I am back on my decision making boat again. Although I bet majority of the women who would probably just wait and do close follow-ups. I however on the other hand still worry so much. I guess I did too many research. Glandular cells are unpredictable!

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2004, 08:00 AM

Just because women take the wait and watch approach, it doesn't mean that they aren't worried. It means that they've come to terms with the fact that sometimes there aren't any clear answers and they've decided to accept the medical advice provided by their gyn's or gyn/onc's. Many people think the internet is a dangerous thing because you can acquire so much information about a condition and you can read about all the exceptions to the rule. Just remember that anything you read about should be discussed with your doctor who can help you determine it's application to your situation.

I know you are in a difficult spot right now. Remember to breathe deeply. It's true that these conditions can turn cancerous quickly, but those are the exception rather than the rule. You have time to sit and think about this and decide what's best. And it does get easier to watch and wait as more time passes and you have good PAP results.

Thanks for asking about me. I did have my procedure and am in the healing stages. I'm up and about for a couple of hours at a time now.

Keeping you in my thoughts and 'ers.

Unread 07-28-2004, 09:25 AM

I had a LEEP in January for CINIII. When I got the path report back it said that all the margins were clear, so we thought that they had gotten everything. When I went for my three-month follow-up I wasn't that concerned and neither was my gyn since the margins were clear, etc. but then my PAP came back abnormal again. After she did the colposcopy she couldn't see many abnormal areas at all, but she did biopsies on the tiny spot she thought looked weird and also all around to make sure. I did have CINII in one of the areas. I had another LEEP last week to get rid of that. I just got my path report back from this one and they said WIDELY clear margins. My doctor said she has never seen that before, so it must mean that it got everything. But, I think Jeanine's advice of cautiously optimistic is good. Clear margins are definitely what you want to hear, and a lot of people are not as fortunate to get that result, but with this disease I know that I am always expecting the worst. I guess I just do it to prepare myself. I am happy with my results, but I know when I go back for my next follow-up in Sept I will be very nervous. The thing that really worries me is if this was left over from the first time or if it is a new spot? I would definitely prefer if it was left over, because if a new spot grew this time there is no telling if that will keep happening, you know? I am 27 and want to have children (don't have any yet), so I just worry that this will keep recurring and I will have to get more surgeries. We just have to be as informed as possible and involved with our own health care. Congrats on your results and make sure to keep all your follow-ups. Take care!
Unread 07-28-2004, 10:17 AM

GOOD NEWS JEANINE! HANG IN THERE!
Thanks for hanging with us through-out your recovery

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeanine
Thanks for asking about me. I did have my procedure and am in the healing stages. I'm up and about for a couple of hours at a time now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register