Yes or No? Do I? or Don't I? Confused!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Yes or No? Do I? or Don't I? Confused!!!!! Yes or No? Do I? or Don't I? Confused!!!!!

Unread 07-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Yes or No? Do I? or Don't I? Confused!!!!!

I am going to see my Doc tomorrow for my 6 week post-op check up and I am going to discuss HRT at length with him. He is wanting me to try the estriadol vaginal ring.

I just want some opinions and comments from all of you Hystersisters out there.

I was on the Climara patch since the day of surgery. About 2 - 3 weeks ago I quit using it. It wouldn't stay on and it irritated my skin. Soooooo I figured I would see how it would go with out using HRT. So far NO problems......none what-so-ever. Nothing.

I'll be 40 in two months. I had my surgery due to fibroids, ovarian cysts, heavy and long term bleeding, and anemia. Nothing else showed up in the pathology report.

DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE HORMONES? - What are some of the problems that might show up years down the road if you don't use hormones? - What kind of problems can show up tomorrow or next week?

And.....do you take just estrogen? Do you need to take other hormones if you are not having any problems?

Thought I had a handle on this...but since I am symptom free, I am now sort of confused. - I have several library books that I just started to read. Some pro and some con HRT......GEEEEZZ.........

It REALLY is a jungle out there! s, Trina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2004, 11:47 PM

Hi Trina

You don't have to take hormones. Lots of us do because without them the symptoms would be unpleasant. Of course on the wrong HRT the symptoms aren't pleasant, either, but that's another story!

Here's an article from the Hormone Article List called HRT? No HRT? How to Decide that you might find helpful.

Generally getting balanced with estrogen first is a good way to go and then add in progesterone and/or testosterone if needed. Here's a list of the symptoms of too much/too little of estrogen and progesterone.

There are many more articles available to read from the Hormone Article List. It can help you understand the role hormones play in our well-being and may help you decide if HRT is right for you or not.

Happy reading!

s
Unread 07-29-2004, 05:43 AM

HI

In my opinion it is a must to use supplements such as calcium and a good multi-vitamin weather you use HRT or not. After a hysterectomy we have a much higher chance of bone loss and other health issues such as heart desease. There is a list of neccessary supplements you can find in the resources.

You may be one of the lucky women who do not need HRT, however I did want to let you know that we do have a supply of estrogen in our abdominal fat and sometimes it might take awhile for our body to use this up.

I did not use HRT right away and did not experience any real problems until about a year after my surgery and wham......I was hit hard. I think it is harder to find balance after you go down to zero hormones. But not impossible.

I guess what I am trying to say is go ahead and talk with your doctor about his reccommended HRT options and then you can make a personal decision on your HRT choice. You can always start it down the road if you start feeling symptoms.

take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 10:28 AM

Oh Sisters, Thank you so much for your advice and replies!!!!
Many s to you!

I saw my Doc earlier. I've been totally released. - Everything looks good! Yippee!

I am going to try the Femring. It seems like a good choice and my Doc highly recommended it. We had talked about it before I had the surgery. He seems very enthusiastic about it! So that makes me feel a lot better!

Thank You! Trina
Unread 07-29-2004, 11:43 AM

If you are doing well - don't take anything! Estrogens are risky chemicals and should only be taken by those who need them. Studies show that they do not protect from osteoporosis or heart attack. Many docs aren't up to date on those findings though.
Unread 07-30-2004, 01:13 PM

I agree, no hormones unless you can't stand it, when I took hormones it made me feel like I was young again and PMSing YUCK, I just take a hot flashe here and there, they wont kill you....you get used to them, kinda nice in the winter... Denna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register