Last Chemo, now what? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last Chemo, now what? Last Chemo, now what?

Unread 07-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Last Chemo, now what?

Hello Sisters,

Yesterday I had my 6th treatment of Carbo-Taxol. Part of me feels like cheering, but part of me wonders "What next?".

I have to go for a CT scan on my abdomen and pelvic area on the 12th August. I'm a bit nervous about that. I haven't had anything come through as yet about my next check-up appointment. Maybe they'll wait till I have the results of the scan.

My Chemo was supposed to be precautionary after my TAH and removal of my ovaries due to Ovarian cancer; just in case any cells got away. My CA125 didn't show up high even in the beginning when I first found the swelling in my stomach, so the doctors can't go by that to detect any problem. I'm now hoping that my happiness of finally getting through Chemo will not be dashed by the results of my CT Scan. What worries me a bit is that I seem to be very prone to water infections in the period between my Chemo treatments.

Can anyone tell me how long this terrible tiredness lasts after finishing the 6 treatments? I get exhausted just walking down to my daughters and back and that is with a rest when I get there. (It's only about a 7 minute walk.)

Also, can anyone tell me how long it takes for your hair to grow back to a length for just a short hair style (not crew cut) and for me to leave my head scarf off without looking too bereft of hair?

I know this is long, but I get more sensible advice off this site than any others. Others experiences are not only uplifting, but really helpful and I do appreciate it.

Lots of s and ers for you all.

Tubs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Last Chemo, now what?

Hi Tubs

Congrats to you for finishing your chemo regimen!!!!!!!!

I can't help with your questions as I am only 1 week out from my first chemo session. I will be interested to see what responses you get.

Keep us posted on your CT scan results.....again, celebrate the last chemo session !!!!!!!!!
Unread 07-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Last Chemo, now what?

Congradulation on finishing your chemo. I do not have any of the answers for you as far as hair. My chemo regime was much lighter than yours and cant really tell you how soon you will bounce back. It took me about a good month to feel back to normal after my chemo and radiation. Many different people react many different way in how soon they get back to "normal".

BTW good luck on your CT scan on the 12th, may it be "unremarkable" (that is what they say when they dont see anything unusual).

Best of luck and God Bless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Last Chemo, now what?

Hi (((Tubs))) Just want to say I am happy you have finished your chemo sessions. Celebrations : are in order! Hope your upcoming CT scan goes very well and shows all is well. Please let us know the how you are doing.
s and blessings, peggiesue
Unread 07-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Last Chemo, now what?

Hi Tubs....I was where you are 2 months ago. I was so glad to be off chemo but scared none the less. I am on maintenance chemo now for 4 more months. I started feeling ALOT better 4 weeks after my last chemo treatment. I guess my body was waiting for more chemo. LOL. My hair has in the last 3 weeks gotten thick enough that I don't wear a hat or anything at work. I'm actually thinking about getting it colored. My hair was brown before but grew back in black with alot of white in it. LOL. I hope this helps.

Bertha
Unread 07-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Last Chemo, now what?

Congratulations, Tubs!

Hope you are feeling 'back to normal' (can you remember what that was? ) very soon, and that your scan shows nothing but GOOD NEWS!
Unread 07-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Last Chemo, now what?

s Tubs

Congrats on finishing six rounds of taxol and carboplatin.
The general rule of thumb is that complete recovery will take as long as the entire treatment itself lasted. I must say though that I felt completely normal much sooner than that. Some of the recovery will depend upon your age and general health.
Eyebrows and lashes make the first return appearance.
Hair takes longer. I know you aren't interested in a crewcut, but that is what I had two months after completing chemo.
And amazingly enough, when it happens you will appreciate it.
I thought I looked kinda styling with my crew.
Most likely you will be on the three month checkup plan.
Even with your ca 125 not being a good marker.
You will be surprised how normally you learn to live during these three month cycles. Of course the old anxiety will return at check up time.
Best wishes to you.

karenann
Unread 07-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Last Chemo, now what?

Way to go Tubs. Just wanted to offer my congrats on your last chemo. I still have at least one to go, so can't answer your questions about hair or tiredness but wish you the very best on your CT scan.
Many blessings.
Unread 07-31-2004, 02:31 AM
Last Chemo, now what?

Congratulations of finishing 6 Chemos!!!
That must feel good. I still have 3 to go, and look forward to that milestone.
I will be praying for you, that there is nothing to be seen on the CAT. Blessings!
-Sue
Unread 07-31-2004, 06:35 PM
Last Chemo, now what?

Congrats, Tubs!

I was where you are 2 months ago. In 6 weeks your hair will be coming in like gangbusters. Unfortunately it will be the hair you like least. I have the crew cut now. Still to short to see any "curl"
But thank goodness there is more dark than gray! I'm hoping to shed the scarf next month. We'll see.

You'll feel better in a few weeks. Your skin will look better, everything. As soon as your body realises it's not getting zapped.
I had my second-look lap. on July 13th. I wanted to try to get out of the chemo funk before I had to deal with an operation funk.
BTW, I took bandanas with me to the hospital but I didn't wear them. I kind of felt proud of my baldish head, don't ask me why.
I don't know. The Drs never found my other ovary.

Good luck!
Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register