Adeno/Endo Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adeno/Endo Questions Adeno/Endo Questions

Unread 07-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Adeno/Endo Questions

Hello Sisters:

Those of you who read my other thread know that I am soon to have exploratory lap surgery and hysteroscopy. Already had a CT Scan, colonoscopy, Ultrasound and the usual poking around in there from the dr. He thinks I may have adenomyosis....

I have so many questions...can you ladies help?

1. This started about a month ago. I had a bad pain in my side for three days that felt like side stitches that sent me to my fam. dr. Does this adeno or endo stuff start like a "bang" like that? I always had the usual horrible periods but was OK in between. Since then I have pain, bloating, burping, etc. everyday? How did yours start? Could you pinpoint when?

2. Ok, who of you out there has had the lap explor. surgery and what can you tell to expect? Will I be rolling around the bed in pain as my sister did when she got her tubes tied? Blood sister, that is! How long is recovery? Doc said three days...but he's a man.....

3. I'm going on vacation next week. Is there anything I can take to get rid of this pain and uncomfortable feeling? Better yet, anything I can take to get this off my mind???? Margaritas maybe? Seriously, though...is there some medication I can ask the doc for?

4. Anyone kinda nauseated with this? Like you don't know what to eat or if you should eat?

5. Anyone have the diarreah all the time? I've had it for about a year now. Colonoscopy was fine. Wonder what's up with that?

I could go on and on.... But I won't. I truly appreciate all responses and would welcome your experiences.

Hugs from Tootser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Adeno/Endo Questions

Lots of Q's here & everybodys a bit diff.

My pain had been a gradual build up untill the last year, then it went for intensity as well as longevity You may be one of the different kind (like my niece, no pain, Bang! passing out pain)

Take you sis I never had that kind of pain with my tubal & I was back to work after a week (4 days in hosp, week off)

With the colonoscopy & the diarrhoea thing, it 'could' be Endo affecting your bowls. I only get it occasionally but have been told I have Endo there.

The hysteroscopy was when they finaly dx me with Endo again. I was in hosp for 4 days, off work a week (but everyone recovers at thier own pace) It was nothing realy I had a bit of gas from the Lap, a bit uncomfortable & tired but nothing more than that. I had lots more trouble with my D&C. I went in with AF & thought I would come out without her, boy was I mistaken I bled for 10 days straight, then a week later back she came.

I have the lack of hunger thing & I do get bloated during AF visits.

Will your fam Dr prescribe a pain med for you? This might help whilst on hols (but don't recomend margaritas with most kind of pain meds )

Enjoy your hols, relax, come back relaxed & ready to face anything.
Unread 07-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Adeno/Endo Questions

Tootser,
The diagnostic laparoscopy is normally an outpatient surgery.
At the same time, I also had a D&C(scraping on the uterine lining) which is not so different from a hyteroscopy(examining the uterine lining with a scope) except that there is very minimal, if any, dilation of the cervix with a hysteroscope and very minimal, if any tissue removal(which means less cramping for you).
I seriously woke up from the entire ordeal in not much more pain than I was in previously. (Pain was not my first thought when I awoke!!) If you were having roll around pain, it would definitely be your first thought. I actually awoke while still in the surgery suite. They were still pulling tubes and things off me and cleaning up. I looked at my doc and said...So, what did ya find? She jumped 3 ft. I think I startled her!! She said...Honey, I found some scar tissue, we will talk about this later. I said NOoooo, I want to talk about this now!!!! We didn't but I wouldn't have remembered too much of the conversation later anyway. You will be a little wooozy from the anesthesia and later on things will seem like a blur.
They give ya great narcotics afterwards if you need them. Wish I had some of those during most of my periods!! I was at the outpatient surgery center for approximately 3 hours...1 hr prep...1 hr surgery...1 hr recovery. That's the great thing about outpatient surgery centers though...hospitals can be quite slow! I came home, watched a little TV, got on the computer...it was no worse than having my period!! Seriously! Had the surgery on a Friday and they said back to work on Monday if I wanted. I was, however, fairly zapped that first week...a lot of naps. A little gastric distress which was helped by GasX and walking. A tad sore in the abdomen like sore muscle aches. In 2 weeks you should feel completely back to normal(unfortunately normal isn't so great for you right now, huh?) All in all, I would have to say the entire experience went a lot smoother than I had ever imagined. The incisions look like tiny little scratches...I had 2. Thank God for laparoscopes!!
And yes the endo can be affecting your bowels...I had bouts of diarrhea for a week, then a week of constipation, back to diarrhea. It is a common symptom of endometriosis and/or adenomyosis. With your bowels in an uproar all the time, your entire digestive tract will be grouchy, which could explain the burping, belching, bloat, nausea, and gassiness.
I was always OK between periods...for 25 years that is!! I had my first "bang" this January, underwent test after test, talked my doc into a lap by April and lost my uterus in June!! That's what it does sometimes...sneaks up on you and unleashes it's vengeance almost overnight!! My little head is still spinning!

Hugs!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Adeno/Endo Questions

Hi,

I have had both tubal and exploratory laproscopic surgery on different occasions. I thought the pain after the tubal was awful, much worse than from the lap or my hysterectomy. It was the worst!

After the lap, I was a little sore but nothing bad at all. I took advil for a couple of days and that was it. I even took my son to the dr the day after - I didn't feel fabulous but was able to get what absolutely HAD to be done, done.

Good luck.

Unread 07-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Adeno/Endo Questions

Hi Tootser,

I had the diagnostic lap and it was no big deal to me. It was done as an outpatient procedure. They made two tiny incisions - one below my belly button and one in the "bikini line" area. Took a look around and took pics of everything. The actual surgery time was only about 45 minutes. I was back home in the afternoon with a few pain meds. The hardest part was gas pains from the gas they use during the procedure, but it was tolerable. My procedure was done on a Friday and I was back to work on a Monday. I was sore from the incisions for a couple of weeks - but even that was tolerable. I had a diagnosis of adeno and had the bouts of diarrehea with it at times. Hope this helps.

Good luck,
Susan
Unread 07-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Adeno/Endo Questions

Wow, Susan....looks like you just had your surgery. Was it July 26th? I hope you are doing well.

Did you have the hysterectomy because of the adenomyosis? This is all kind of new to me. I'm in quite a bit of pain right now - but have only been that way for about a month or so. But that's long enough!!! So I'm just beginning this adventure.

Going on vacation next week and I'm wondering what else is going to happen to me before I get there or while I'm there! And I don't want to tell my 14 year old that we can't go....

I just call my gyno and see if there is anything he can give me....

Hugs to you....Tootser
Unread 07-31-2004, 03:58 PM
Adeno/Endo Questions

Hi Tootser,

I did just have my hyst due to the suspected adeno. I had "symptoms" of it and my doc was even more convinced after my lap due to the "boggy" feeling and the appearance of my uterus when they went in to take a peak. He wanted to make certain that endo was not there and fortunately it was not. I had the heavy periods although they did not last as long as some women here have had to endure, however, I did experience a lot of lower back pain. And I do mean a lot. It is something that has progressed over a long period of time and had finally gotten to the point that my quality of life was just awful. I couldn't seem to do anything without waking up the terrible "back beast" in me - and I mean anything. Hopefully the hyst is my savior. I'm on day five since my surgery and in a lot of ways I feel better than I did before I went in. I'm being a good princess and am keeping my fingers crossed. You've come to the right place with your questions/fears. This is truly a terrific place to come to - I know my fellow sisters have helped me tremendously and they'll help you too. Hang in there. I'm thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Hugs,
Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register