Post-op Adhesion Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op Adhesion Surgery Post-op Adhesion Surgery

Unread 07-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Post-op Adhesion Surgery

Hello Ladys,

I am having lap surgery 8/3/04 to remove possible adheasions and re-occuring endo. Had TAH, kept cervix on 2/24/03 and have been dealing with a lot of pain ever since. If I do have adhesions is there anything I can do to prevent their re-occuring. My new gyn seems to know his stuff when it comes to minimizing adhesion formation. I do plan on taking it very easy for 2 or 3 weeks after. Is that long enough? Dr.s seem to always underestimate recovery time.

Thanks, Hanna Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Post-op Adhesion Surgery

Hanna:

I had pretty extensive adhesions/ but no visible endo at the time of my lap. I went back to work on Friday afternoon for 1/2 day (extremely light duty) after a Monday surgery. I have a desk job, I mean, except to go to the bathroom, get a drink, I don't have to get up.

If you work outside the home, the type of job you have will probably play a large role in how soon you can return to full duty. The other big factor is how much work is done on you. Probably the more work they do, the more healing time you will need. But, just the poking around can make you quite sore, even if all they do is look.

Regardless of what the doctor says, I would not push a vaccuum, mop or do any heavy lifting for several weeks. Sometimes they are a bit over optimistic about what we can handle. I would wait as long as the doctor says or longer ....never, ever would I resume any activity before the doctor said it was OK.

The most important thing is to pay attention to how you feel and ease back into your life.

I hope your surgery goes well, that they find the problem and remove it for good!!!

s while you wait!
Unread 07-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Post-op Adhesion Surgery

I am sorry to hear that you are having some difficulties. Adhesions are common after surgery. The pain they may cause can be quite severe as can the possible complications they can cause. They are an almost inevitable outcome of surgery - about 95% of women undergoing a hysterectomy will develop adhesions. Not all adhesions will cause pain or problems. Some people go through life never even knowing they have them. Then there are those that can have a small amount of them but suffer a great deal of pain & sometimes ongoing health issues because of them. Their location and what they are adhered to can make a big difference in the issues they may create. Adhesions can be a very real aftermath of undergoing this surgery or any other surgery. Unfortunately our bodies form adhesions after surgery. Adhesions form as a defense mechanism to the trauma and tissue/organ handling that takes place during surgery.

Pelvic adhesions are abnormal bands of scar tissue that form in the pelvis and cause organs to stick or bind to one another. Adhesions occur in the majority of women who have pelvic surgery. Adhesions are a common and occasionally serious outcome of surgery of all kinds, including common gynecologic procedures, including hysterectomy. Adhesions that form after surgery in the pelvic area are among the leading causes of post-operative pelvic pain and small bowel obstruction.

There are certain techniques that can be used during surgery to help limit the amount that forms; for example: not using gloves that contain talc, limit the actual handling of organs, keep blood loss at a minimum and be sure that any blood that might have leaked into the pelvic or abdominal regions are cleaned up immediately. There are also products available that can be used during surgery that were developed to decrease formation also.

I had my right ovary removed lapraoscopically 8 weeks ago. I started having problems with cysts and pain about 9 months ago. I was having horrible pain with intercourse and bowel movements. My doctor had been watching the cysts for any changes - they had gotten larger and turned from simple cysts to complex cysts. My surgery was done laparoscopically. The right ovary was adhered to the top of the vaginal cuff and covered with adhesions and cysts - it was removed. My left ovary had some fluid filled cysts that were drained and then the ovary was wrapped in mesh to protect it. I also had many adhesions removed that were attached to my bladder, bowel, colon, and liver.

The only way to positively diagnosis adhesions is by having lapraoscopic surgery.

My doctor recommended a 3-4 week recovery period after my lapraoscopic surgery. By 4 weeks I was feeling pretty good.

I will be praying that your surgery goes well. After you have surgery be sure to let us know how you are doing.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 01:38 PM
hello

Hey there Hanna Lou. I am in Mount Airy. Not far from you. I am sorry for all you are going through. I had my TAH in Jan kept ovaries and they have been nothing but trouble. Good luck
Unread 07-29-2004, 05:13 PM
Post-op Adhesion Surgery

Hanna Lou,
Unfortunately there is no guaranteed way to prevent adhesions. There are some adhesion barriers on the market that may help, but they are not 100% effective. A surgeon's skill and expertise in that area can also help. But again, there's no guarantee.

Adhesions are not only the result of surgery but can also form after an illness. I had dense adhesions discovered during my first lap many years ago and it was assumed they were from a previous surgery. However, I didn't have a previous surgery in that area. I did, however, have pneumonia and a bad kidney infection.

There's some good information on adhesions in our Resources section here Adhesion Resources

Good luck next week! I hope the surgery will bring you some much needed relief and will have you on your way to painfree days and nights.
Unread 07-31-2004, 05:56 AM
Post-op Adhesion Surgery

Thanks for all the info. I will be taking it very easy and listening to the old body(creak). Will let you know how it goes.

Hannna Lou
Unread 07-31-2004, 07:05 AM
Post-op Adhesion Surgery

Hi , I am new to this site ... Good luck with your upcoming surgery. I will pray for you . Us women go through alot of difficulties that are never seen , so it is nice to have friends all around the globe that empathize ... I'm sure God will bring you through & in these times he seeks to draw us nearer to Him.
Unread 07-31-2004, 01:18 PM
Post-op Adhesion Surgery

Hanna,

I am in recovery from my lap surgery July 8. My dr found pretty extensive adhesions and used laser to get rid of them. I am pain free at this point and it is a great feeling after seven months of constant pain and no relief at all. I am unable to take pain killers of any sort so it was pretty tough to deal with. I have never had endo so I can't feel your pain with that but I know it it can get pretty bad. Good luck with your surgery and do what the drs say. I am 3 weeks post op and am ready to get my life back. I am getting back into things very slowly. I was told that by next week I can do just about anything I want. We will see. Swimming and lift calss here I come. Keep us posted on your surgery and progress. s
Unread 07-31-2004, 01:36 PM
Post-op Adhesion Surgery

Does anyone know a sister who had adhesions so bad that a lap wasn't good enough; they had to do a laparotomy (abdominal cut)?
This is my concern because I suffer from complications from an open incision that was treated for 10 weeks post-op. I have been suffering since. I will be seeing a new DR in August for a consultation. I will discuss this with my new Dr but thought I would ask on this thread. I was wondering if the adhesions are connected to the incision area can they approach it from a laparoscopy?
Unread 08-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Post-op Adhesion Surgery

Yes, they can do a lap adhesion removal even if the adhesions are stuff to the inside of the origional incision. I had this done by lap 6 months after my hyst. My opinion is that for the very best possible outcome in this type of surgery, to find a very very experienced surgeon. It gets complicated when adhesions are sticking things together. Take care, Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register