any one have a hernia and how long off work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

any one have a hernia and how long off work? any one have a hernia and how long off work?

Unread 07-29-2004, 01:43 PM
any one have a hernia and how long off work?

Hi All,

After having a radical hysterectomy, going thru chemo and radiation, I now have a hernia. If any one has had that type of surgery, could you let me know what it was like and how long you were off work? I am really worried about the off work time. I don't have much vacation time left and my gyn/onc is 3 hours away so every office visit is 1/2 day off work. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you wonderful sisters!

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 04:45 PM

Hello and Welcome to Cancer Concerns

I too had a hernia after having chemo and radiation. But, my hernia repair was done along with another major surgery. So I really can't tell you the recovery time on that. I do know that even 3 months after the surgery I tried to lift a 5 gallon bucket of paint and felt something unusual (sufficet it to say I didn't lift it again to put it in my truck I had someone else to do it).

Depending on what type of work you do will greatly determine how long you will need to be off. If you do heavy lifting, I would take as long as needed to be completly healed. If you have an office job, you could probably go back sooner. Just talk it over with your doctor and your boss/supervisor as to how long you need to take off and what kind of duties you will be able to do once returning to work. (such as light duty, no lifting etc...)

Keep in mind that you only have one chance to heal right.

God Bless and take it easy.
Unread 07-29-2004, 06:05 PM

Judy
Sorry about the hernia. Some hernias can be repaired by laparoscopic surgery but you still will need a few weeks recovery depending on you job.

Good Luck

's
Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 06:31 PM

I just had a hernia repair on 7/12 and have not yet gone back to work. My doctor said 4 weeks off and then I can go back with no lifting for at least 2 weeks. It does kind of depend on how big the hernia is and whether they can just stitch it up or if they put mesh in. Mine was very large and I had mesh which resulted in 4 days in the hospital. I know of people who have had small hernias repaired and it was done as an outpatient and they went back to work within a couple of weeks. Also it probably kind of depends on what you do.
Unread 08-02-2004, 03:38 PM

I'm glad I found this post! I am 5 weeks post op today and although I haven't been lifting too much - just little bits more and more each day - I have a severe pain in my right side that has been there for 5 days - It feels very tender and "like toothache " inside with a constant ache, but there are no lumps. So what does a hernia feel like as my doctor said on my initial consultation to take it easy as doing too much could result in a hernia. So what does it feel like?

Thanks Jane xxx
Unread 08-02-2004, 05:52 PM

s Judy

I too have an incisional hernia. It popped out about a year after my ovarian cancer surgery. Right by the incision on the right side.
It has grown bigger over the past two years. It is painless, but a bit unsightly. I keep putting off getting it repaired. They can tell from CT scans that it is coming through a large opening, so it will not strangulate.
Your gyn onc is probably not the doctor for the job. Hernia repair too often fails. With or without mesh. I say this from having been an ICU nurse for 30 years. You should seek a general surgeon who specializes in hernia repair. At the very least, if you truly want your gyn onc doc to do the repair, ask how many they have done.
Best wishes to you. I guess my time too will come for the repair.
It is just so hard to make that elective decision.

karenann
Unread 08-03-2004, 07:34 AM

Thanks to all for the information. I see my gyn/onc today. I don't think he wants to do the surgery. I think he just wants to monitor it. I hope. Thank you for giving me hope that I may not have to have the surgery right away. I have seen enough of hospitals and doctors for awhile. Also since my original surgery and all thru my cancer treatments I have pinned my hopes on a Disney world/cruise vacation this October. If I have to have surgery right away, my hopes will be dashed. Thanks KarenAnn, I will be going to the doctor with alittle lighter heart. Maybe I can wait until at least next year to have the surgery. Also may I say having something great - extra special to look forward to, made my treatments (chemo and radiation) seems less bad.

Judy
Unread 08-06-2004, 06:44 PM
hernia

Hello, I was just wondering what a hernia looks like, I think that I have on at my surgical site, very minimal pain though. All replies will be greatly appreciated.

8cm borderline tumor & BSO lapo & bikini cut 5-8-03
Ovarian staging, TAHBSO,& Lymphadenectomy 10-16-03
All clear
scars are about 1 inch apart (henia)? in between
hugs
Mel
Unread 08-06-2004, 06:56 PM

Hi Mel

My incision was vertical, from the right side of my belly button, to my pubis. My hernia was first noticeable as slight bulge to the right side of the incision, next to my belly button. That was about two years ago. Over the past two years it has grown larger, but still remains painless.
When you lie flat, it should disappear. Place your hand in the area as you lie flat. Cough. Do you feel the bulge as you cough or strain? Most likely that is an incisional hernia. Not all that uncommon after abdominal surgery.
But do have your doctor check it out.

oxoxo karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register