Hysterectomy or close monitoring with cone? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy or close monitoring with cone? Hysterectomy or close monitoring with cone?

Unread 08-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Hyster or cone

I fooled around with doing biopsies and conizations for 2 years and ended up having a hysterectomy anyway. I had stage 3 uterine cancer that had started in my cervix and moved upward. It was the best decision I made! I already had 3 healthy children although I wanted more, so I went ahead and had the surgery and I feel so much better knowing that is one thing I will never have to worry about again. Cancer runs strong in my family, so it is a relief not to have that to worry about. Good luck on your pregnancy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Hysterectomy or close monitoring with cone?

No, my surgeon is only a gyn doctor\surgeon. I cant seem to find one in my area at the hospital I want to go to. I guess I need to just find one, not worry about the hospital he goes to and just get a 2nd opinion. I still dont feel totally confident that I am doing the right thing. I am so scared about my life being totally turned upside down after the surgery and being worse off than I am right now.
Unread 08-07-2004, 06:23 PM

Kimmikat,
I think you are in a good position to feel right about this before you do it. When your life if at a clear fast approaching risk the decision is easy. It is your choice. I just think since you don't have to rush you could get more comfortable with your doctor and your decision.
I would want someone who does this all the time with cancer in mind for myself.
best wishes.
I know this is hard.
Pamela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2004, 07:07 PM

Kimmikat,

Does your Doc. have a specific medical reason for YOU and YOUR BODY to have an abdominal hyster.? It seems odd to me that he will not perform it vaginally. It could be just his preference. If that is the case I would go elsewhere. The recovery from abdominal surgery is longer, harder and more complicated. I personally would not choose it. You should be able to have this done completly vaginally. Vaginal hysters. are not a new proceedure with little known about it. He should be well versed in it.

Well, we are in the middle of a move and my brain is going numb.

Blessings,

Wildflowers
Unread 08-07-2004, 07:55 PM

Pamela,
Having gone through almost the same experience as you when I was pregnant, I just wanted to remind you that I was here if you needed me.even though I had never had an abnormal pap before the one I had when I was pregnant, I went ahead with the hysterectomy after my daughter's birth.I was pretty sure that I wasn't having any more children but what really scared me was that I had a cone biopsy during pregnancy that came back showing no cancer(even though it was on 3 previous biopsies), yet when I had another biopsy after delivery it was definitely still there.so I just thought they could have missed it with the cone and I didn't want to take any more chances with 3 little girls to take care of. Of course it wasn't easy to have surgery 3 months post partum while breastfeeding and with a 3 and 1 yr. old at home, but I made it, and still feel good about my decision.I'm sure you will make a decision that's right for you too.
Amy
Unread 08-08-2004, 08:20 AM

Amy,
Thanks so much. Could you tell me when they said stage 1b to you. Was it when the examined the uterus after hysterectomy? I am going to have one. I just want to see if I can have it like you....3 months post partum rather than at delivery.
They said it would be better at delivery. I will find out their reasons for this before I continue. I still have 5 months to decide..as long as there is no preterm labor due to the cone I had at 12 weeks.
Pamela
Unread 08-08-2004, 08:42 AM

Hi Pamela,
They didn't tell me stage 1b until after the hysterectomy.I think it was 5 mm. invasion. Don't worry about your cone.I had one at 16 weeks and carried almost to term.did they put in a cerclage?
The only reason they did not give me a c section and do the hysterectomy then was because no cancer was found when they did the cone.To be honest, it may be easier for you to get it all done at once and line up lots of help.that was the hardest part for me. Friends and family had taken time off when the baby was born to help out and then had to do it again after my surgery so I was really feeling like a burden. Let me know if there's anything else you need.
Do you have any baby names picked out yet? You must be so excited to have a little girl on the way. PM or email me anytime.
Amy
Unread 08-08-2004, 05:28 PM

Hi Pamela,
If you are done having children after this pregnancy I would probably have the hysterectomy. It will relieve the constant worrying. Best of luck for a healthy baby and mommy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register