3 weeks post-op and Driving or Outing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks post-op and Driving or Outing? 3 weeks post-op and Driving or Outing?

Unread 08-02-2004, 08:59 PM
3 weeks post-op and Driving or Outing?

Hello Ladies,

On 8/4 it will be three weeks post-op for me. I'm recovering well but I'm very bored from being under house arrest. My DH thinks I need to wait till my re-check, which is on 8/6, and then I can go out of the house for my first outing. I've been able to walk in my front yard down about 3/4 houses and back or walk around in the house or back yard but other then that DH thinks I need to be in bed or on the couch resting.
I'm SO BORED and need some kind of highlight besides these little walks.

Please give me some support/Advice as to when its safe to go for a ride, to the grocery store, drug store, to rent movies, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2004, 09:10 PM

house arrest is terrible. go for the outing - anywhere- a little ride will do you a world of good. I am only 2.5 week an already back to work, not that I wouldn't have liked to have more time off, but my dr. told me that after 1 week I could do what I thought I could as long as I didnt' lift anything. You will get cabin fever if you don't get at out a little. going slow is good but going too slow isn't
jane321
SAH 7-12-04
Unread 08-02-2004, 11:10 PM

I had to get out of the house at two weeks post op. I was going crazy. I had my DH take me to the grocery store and I was so happy to get out although I couldn't stay long.
I have also noticed that little outings like that wear me out so I do keep them short. It will do you a world of good just to go for a short drive.
Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2004, 11:35 PM

Oh my - if nothing else, take a little ride in the car.

I am 3 weeks out and I have been back to Indianapolis 2 times already (4 hour trip both ways) for doctor's visits.

If you aren't safe to ride in a car at 2 weeks, I'm sure they would have told me.

I still don't really feel up to a big shopping adventure or something like that, but a ride to just get out of the house isn't going to harm you at all!
Unread 08-02-2004, 11:52 PM

I agree with the other ladies! I went with a friend to the grocery store and run some errands about two wekks post-op. You'll go crazy if you don't. I waited to drive till after I saw my doc, but my staples had busted open...all 22 of them and didn't heal until 6 weeks. It's so nice to hear someone feelin good

Love and Huggs.
Jodee
Unread 08-03-2004, 12:11 AM

I'm one week out today. My dr. said I could drive at two weeks, but I was okay to ride in the car as long as I felt okay.

I didn't intend to go out right away, but I came home from the hospital on Thursday and on Saturday my brother & sister-in-law had a serious car accident (she was life-flighted) and I had to go to the hospital with my dd (they didn't know the way). I did fine, but I was extremely tired the next day and very emotional.

Monday, I felt much better and went out for breakfast with my dh. Was pretty tired when I got home, but I did fine.

Hope this helps. Cabin fever has already started in on me, it stinks doesn't it??

Sallie
Unread 08-03-2004, 03:07 AM

I'm in the same boat, three weeks on the 4th

However, I have made it to the grocery store a few times for quick trips, th epost office to mail something one and then Sunday I went nuts. I went to church (after 4 hours sleep), then got talked into a trip to the store before going home, then worked for a few hours (telecommuting has saved my tush), and then went to my sister's for dinner... So, I spent today lying on the couch all day in pain

Get out of the house, but try no to run any marathons
Unread 08-03-2004, 08:24 AM

Get out but don't do too much. I was driving at two weeks post-op. Doc said as long as I felt up to it, and off the pain meds I could. But take it from me, don't do too much at once. I went to the mall at 2 1/2 weeks and boy was I sore afterwards....

Laurie
Unread 08-03-2004, 03:12 PM

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies, I put them all past my DH and he still wont budge. He says "okay, If on 8/6 the dr says its okay then you can go out with my blessing" I know he love and cares for me but GEHH!

Darn!!!! I want out of the house, block, street! Gehhhhh

Melissa
Unread 08-03-2004, 03:34 PM

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies, I put them all past my DH and he still wont budge. He says "okay, If on 8/6 the dr says its okay then you can go out with my blessing" I know he love and cares for me but GEHH!

Darn!!!! I want out of the house, block, street! Gehhhhh

Melissa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register