How long for the Swelly Belly? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long for the Swelly Belly? How long for the Swelly Belly?

Unread 08-03-2004, 12:05 AM
How long for the Swelly Belly?

I got a pillow the other day at Target. It's so soft but firm enough to provide support. It's got a microfiber cover, so the fabric is so soft! The kids fight over it all the time, I keep reminding them I got it for my tummy for after surgery!

Now, I've been reading a lot still and I'm curious, I can't remember if I already asked this...I don't think I did....

How LONG does this swelly belly last for? I'm tall and thin and I'm scared nothing will fit after surgery but I don't want to buy a bunch of clothes that I won't use for long either!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2004, 02:33 AM

i personally,am 3 weeks post-op,and have minumal swelly..ive used a abdominal band,and a gel ice pack..they have both really helped with swelly!..

tah with bso on 7-12-04
Unread 08-03-2004, 04:18 AM

I had very minimal swelling too, but I couldn't stand anything pressing on my abdominal or crotch area for quite sometime postop.....just very sensitive I guess. Jeans were a real

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2004, 08:17 AM

HI, I had a tah/bso with a large incision so I had quite a bit of swelling at first. It went down slowly day by day. It took a couple of months to be back to fairly normal.

My pre op clothes always fit but were very uncomfortable for a couple of months. I didn't buy a lot of new clothes because, like you I didn't want things that I would were only for a short time. What I did buy were a few pair of loose elastic waisted pants ( still wear them around the house ), and a couple pairs of comfy pj's.

Swelly belly seems to be different depending on the type of hyst and whatever else has to be done. Some ladies have quite a bit of swelling , others have had none.

Best wishes.

s
Unread 08-03-2004, 02:04 PM

Rebz,

Today is my 2 week anniversary! Woohoo!
I have very minimal swelling, mostly after being on my feet for awhile. I try to lay down during the day to take some of the gravity out of the belly area. I found that much of my swelling was due to the gas and extended time on my feet.

As far as clothing. At 2 weeks I'm still not wearing any undies LOL.
Just can't stand anything up against the incision. I have found some 'sundresses' those with the little spaghetti straps that hang freely over the belly area (not tight) are the absolute best!
My belly is still swelled just enough that it holds the material out so that it doesn't touch the incision. I can't bear to wear pants or jeans. NO WAY!.. oh yea.. mine was what they call a bikini cut, so underwear is out of the question especially 'spandex' lol.
any suggestions here would be appreciated.. thank goodness the dress is not see through.

Best of luck, and may you have a speedy recovery.

((((HUGS))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register