Recticele and Enterocele - 1 yr Post Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recticele and Enterocele - 1 yr Post Hysterectomy Recticele and Enterocele - 1 yr Post Hysterectomy

Unread 08-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Recticele and Enterocele - 1 yr Post Hysterectomy

I had a vaginal hysterectomy 3/2003 and now have been told that I have Enterocele and Rectocele (3rd time for Rectocele) and I need surgery again. My hysterectomy which went well and I still have my ovaries caused me to be constipated for the last year and with finding out why I am constipated they found these two conditions that may be the cause. I am in no hurry to go back under the knife and I am scared to have surgery again since my rectocele keeps coming back and that there are no guarantees it will help my constipation. I am so frustrated since I thought having a hysterectomy would help me and now I wished I never had it. Any help out there or related stories would help. I also wished doctors would tell you about your intestines falling out since your uterus is not there anymore before they proceed to do a hysterectomy so I could make a better choice knowing the risks for further surgery.

Constipated and Frustrated in Colorado Springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2004, 12:53 PM

Wow, I'm thinking I might have the whole rectocele problem myself and am going to the doctor tomorrow. Wish I would've done a little more research before my hysterectomy now, too. I've been feeling great, except for the constipation which all say is normal.

But what's not normal (I think) is having everything right there to come out, yet it won't. Tomorrow is 6 weeks post surgery and I can't believe this may be what is happening to me!

What's bumming me out (no pun intended) is that my constipation (or so I thought) I had so bad when I was taking iron pills for my anemia was the "straw that broke the camel's back"...it's why I finally opted for the hysterectomy. I did not want to spend any more time with that pain.

Now it looks like maybe I had the problem before? I don't know, but shouldn't the doctor know prior to the hysterectomy by doing a pelvic? I even went to the gyno after the terrible bout of constipation because I thought I ripped my rectum but she didn't even mention this problem.

If it wasn't for this website I wouldn't have even known there was such a thing as a rectocele and I try to be informed.

Hang in there.
Unread 08-05-2004, 08:56 PM

((((mcarlsonm))))) I'm so sorry you're dealing with all these issues, so far into your recovery

I had a Stage III Rectocele repaired at the same time as my hyst. That was 3 1/2 years ago and the repairs are still holding. It may because my doctor secured the area with additional stitches I do know that I had extended lifting and straining restrictions even after I was released to resume most of my normal activities. Even now, I am careful not to lift anything too heavy and not to strain. You might want to enquire on how your doctor intends to prevent further prolapses, since you've been having recurring problems in this area

One thing I've since found out, is that Biofeedback Pelvic Therapy is one good way of strengthening the pelvic floor in order to avoid incontinence problems and weakening of the pelvic muscles. I've been going to such a therapist for over a year now and was told that the incontinence issues I'm now dealing with could have been avoided if I'd been referred to her once the "nothing in the vagina" restriction was lifted. This may be something worth investigating. If a doctor prescribes the therapy, most insurance companies will reimburse the costs of the treatments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2004, 08:59 PM

(((Suzy))) You are still very early in your recovery and it's a relief that you are seeing your doctor. The symptoms you're experiencing could be caused by a number of things. Hopefully, the situation will be easily rectified.

BTW, it's not always possible to diagnose a prolapse just from doing a pelvic exam: depending on the severity of the prolapse, it may only be possible to diagnose it while standing up or through special tests. And, if your doctor is not aware of the problem, he/she may not even have looked for this possibility.
Unread 08-06-2004, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. I went to the doctor (well, physician's assistant, my docs on vacation) and she doesn't think I have a rectocele. She could tell something was going on with my bowels tho, so they recommended I drink 2 bottles of mag citrate (like they have you do for colonoscopy). Well, that seemed to have cleared things out! I have a follow-up next week when my doctor's back from vacation. I hope the whole plumbing will work OK now. I may have been partially obstructed since my surgery, I guess.

Thanks again for the reply. It sure helps to have support on these issues.
Unread 08-06-2004, 10:24 PM

((((Suzy))))) Thanks for the update. I'm so happy that you are not dealing with a rectocele and that the Mag Citrate helped

Please be sure to keep eating enough fibers to keep your digestive system functionning.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register