CA-125 stressed & depressed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CA-125 stressed & depressed CA-125 stressed & depressed

Unread 08-06-2004, 06:49 AM
CA-125 stressed & depressed

I had a TAH in Nov. 2003. Iwas starting to feel much better when I started getting severe abdominal pain. I went to the er and the dr. did a cat scan. I have a complex cyst on my left ovary. I followed up with my gyn. and he did a CA-125. I received the results the other day. The dr. said my count is 116. He said it could be elevated because of the inflamation from the cyst or it could be endometiosis, but they are not ruling out ovarian cancer. I am waiting for the results from the ultra sound and transvaginal. Have any of the ladies here heard of this other than being ovarian cancer? I am getting very stressed and depressed from this. My family and I are supposed to go on vacation in 2 weeks and this is putting me in a place where I don't want to be. I need this vacation very badly. I am not looking forward to having surgery again. I have to see my gyn. again this tues.
When I told my son and boyfriend, my son told me to think positive and my boyfriend told me to "get out of here, you don't have cancer".
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2004, 07:53 AM

Karen
Waiting for tests results is very hard but try to stay clam. Many women have high CA 125 for reasons other than cancer, like imflammation or endo. Hopefully you will get the results soom and be able to enjoy your vacation.
Unread 08-06-2004, 08:04 AM

Hang in there, Karen. The waiting is the worst!

I hope for good news for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2004, 11:18 AM

s Karen

I am sorry to read about your situation. Especially as you anticipate going on vacation.
When you see your gyn on Tuesday to get results, if the possibility of ovarian cancer still exists, please get a referral immediately to consult with a gyn oncology surgeon. They are the experts when dealing with a potential ovarian cancer.
Your ob/gyn is not an expert in this area.
Best wishes.

karenann
Unread 08-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Karenann Gave Great Advice

Do see a gyn/onc if there is any suspicion of cancer. The waiting is the pits. All the "what if's" and not being sure is nerve rattling. Hopefully the CA125 is from endometriosis or inflammation.
Unread 08-06-2004, 11:36 AM

The same thing happened to me.I stressed for a month thinking I had OVCA...My CA125 was high.
I had complex ovarian cysts ..I had my surgery on 7/28 .They found endo and cysts and fibroids. The inital path report shows no cancer. My dr said shes 99% sure the false positive was from the complex cysts and endo. The cysts do cause pain. ....so see its probably just the cysts. Try not to stress out! You can PM me if you want with questions.
Bobbi
Unread 08-06-2004, 01:50 PM

Karen, I had a CA-125 of 200 prior to my surgery for a complex and LARGE ovarian cyst. I have a strong family history of cancers, too, and am Ashkenazic Jewish (another risk factor) and we were worried!

However, I also had a history of endometriosis, and sure enough, the cyst was an endometrioma and not malignant. That being said, since you've already had the hyst and presumably have scar tissue from that, I would always recommend the oncologists, as my (((friends))) here have said.

If it is cancer (a big "if"!) then the outcomes are so much better in their hands. And, if it isn't, well -- endo is also very tricky surgically, and your outcome would stillbe improved in their hands.

I realize just how hard it is to go on with life in the face of these worries. Is it possible to get a transvaginal Doppler ultrasound before your vacation? There is increasing evidence that cancerous masses have disorganized blood supplies, where the endometriomas have no blood supply. Perhaps results from that sort of study would help your peace of mind enough to get on with vacation plans?

Hope all goes well. Take a look at Solstice 19's post in this forum -- she had a similar story and her surgery did turn out benign (although, as an endo sufferer, it's not particularly "benign," either, but it is NOT life-threatening, generally).

Please try to enjoy your vacation. If that takes a short course of Xanax or sleeping meds to get through it, don't hesitate to ask your doctor!

Audrey
Unread 08-06-2004, 02:23 PM

HUGE S

I agree with your son try to "Think positive".

I too had a high CA-125 (235) with a pelvic mass. Luckily, my ovaries were fine, and the mass was a hematoma in my faliopian tube. I also believe that it was a blessing in disguise as they had found that I had cervical cancer.

Please hang in there, try not to worry (easier said than done, I know). Enjoy your vacation and remember everyone here will be praying for you that it is benign.

God Bless
Unread 08-06-2004, 05:59 PM

Hi ladies,
I would like to thank all of you for your support and suggestions.
I have started a list of questions for the dr. on tuesday & I hadn't thought about a gyn. oncologist. I am still waiting for the results from the ultrasound and transvaginal I had this past monday. The waiting is the hard part. I hate to wish the weekend away but I can't wait to see what the dr. has to say and see what kind of treatment plan will be needed. I am feeling somewhat better since I have the support I am getting from you ladies. I will keep you posted as to what the dr. says. My appt. is for tues. a.m.
I actually found this website before I had my TAH in Nov. 2003. I was searching the web for info and answers about the surgery. I am so happy I remembered this website.
Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register