Stored blood for surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stored blood for surgery Stored blood for surgery

Unread 08-06-2004, 12:43 PM
Stored blood for surgery

Has anyone given their own blood for surgery?

My surgery is less than 2 weeks away and I had 2 appt. to give 1 pint of blood on each day. Knowing that my iron level is always low, I have been taking lots of iron pills, eating red meat, etc. I barely squeaked by with hemacrit of 33, the minimum for giving to yourself. But my blood pressure was low at 95/70.

Everything went fine until they finished with the blood. I guess with low iron and low blood pressure, I passed out. They woke me up with my head down, feet up, and wet towels on my face. (I remember hearing one of the nurses telling the other "Don't worry about her make-up, just get the towel on her"). After an hour, they let me go home. But I can't go back and give the 2nd pint. In fact, I can't ever give blood (min. hemocrit for the general population in 39).

It was an awful experience, and of course, with my hormone in a tizzy, I ended up in tears... Has anyone else had any blood issues?

Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Stored blood for surgery

Katie,

I did not have the same experience giving blood for my hyst.

However, I had a similar experience when I had my DD 22 years ago. I had her in an alternative birth center which at that time, were not usually in hospitals as they are today. I lost a lot of blood with her birth and I did not want to be transferred to a hospital for a blood transfusion.

After she was born, I got up to go the the restroom and...bammm. I woke up on the floor wondering how I got there. It was really embarassing and most of all I was glad I wasn't holding my DD at the time.

And today, I have low BP like you and I experienced some dizziness in post op, if I got up too quickly. You might want to check with your Dr. about that.

I am just glad you are alright. You could have hurt yourself when you fainted. The most important thing is that you are okay.

And you know what?? It wasn't those nurses "first rodeo" when it came to someone fainting while giving blood. I mean some people probably faint from just seeing the sight of their own blood!!! Smile and know you got through a pint!!!!!!

Good Luck.
Unread 08-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Stored blood for surgery

History Lady,

Thanks for your reply. I know what you mean about being embarrassed. At the Red Cross, there were all these brave people around giving their blood and platlets for strangers and I could barely give blood for myself. What a wimp I felt that I was.

Good reminder on telling the surgeon/anathes. on the low BP. When I woke up from gall bladder surgery, by BP dropped to 60/30 and had everyone freaking out. I'll be sure to tell them.

Thanks again for the good wishes.

Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Stored blood for surgery

My surgery is on Aug. 19 and never gave it much thought about blood. Does everyone get blood during surgery or only if something goes wrong? I never had surgery and have not met with my Dr yet(aug. 10) so if it wasn't for this message board, I wouldn't know too much other than I am having everything removed. I have been trying to read all the messages out here so I know what to expect. This group of people is wonderful and I know I will get through fine! Thanks again!
Unread 08-07-2004, 09:08 AM
Stored blood for surgery

Hi, Katie!

Hope you are feeling better from the dracula incident!!

Dee
Unread 08-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Stored blood for surgery

Thanks Dee. I'm much better now. Just going crazy waiting for the big day.

Shoeprincess, I don't think that many people need blood during surgery, but ask your surgeon. I am getting a lot of uro things fixed which will lead to longer surgery (4 hours). So I did it "just in case" I needed blood. In hindsight, if I knew how my body would react to the blood loss, I probably would not have done it.

Best of luck,

Katie
Unread 08-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Stored blood for surgery

Katie,

Hi, sorry to hear about your donating experience. I was just barely able to donate my 2 pints because of my hemo levels. Luckily for me I did not need to recieve blood during my hyst as most do not. The good news is though that since my hyster my levels have been back in the normal range and holding steady. I hope you will have the same luck. I also have a low blood pressure, but I have a higher heart rate...go figure.

s

Donna
Unread 08-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Stored blood for surgery

Katie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your blood donating experience.

I donated ahead of my surgery and tolerated it very well but it turned out I didn't need the blood at all.

In some ways I think I shouldn't have donated ahead of time (I really did not want to have a transfusion if it came to that) and I think my BP would have been much better if I hadn't. (It was 90/55 for most of my hospital stay as far as I could tell.)

Take heart. Talk to your doctor about your donation experience and don't give up. Keep taking your iron and watch your nutrition as your surgery date approaches. Get yourself as strong as possible before you get to the hospital and recovery will be that much easier.

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register