phone call from path lab--scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

phone call from path lab--scared phone call from path lab--scared

Unread 08-06-2004, 10:06 PM
phone call from path lab--scared

This afternoon after I got home from work, I discovered that the path lab at the hospital where my surgery was conducted had tried to contact me. Naturally, they would call on a Friday, and it was too late to call them back. Now I have to sweat out the weekend wondering what the call was about.

My mom says it can't be anything relating to my health. 1), my surgery was 8 weeks ago, and 2) any reports on my health would have to come through my doctor.

Still, there is a that voice in the back of my mind saying "but what if she's wrong? What if this lab is allowed to by pass the doctor? What if they misread your original diagnosis and your tumors weren't just stage 2 pre-cancerous but were in fact stage-3 cancerous, and the lab didn't feel they had the luxury of time to go through your doctor?"

My mom says it might just be something to do with my bill, but I only just got it like a week or two ago, so I can't imagine they'd already be demanding payment on it!

Help! I'm scared! I want this whole nightmare just to be over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2004, 10:11 PM

You poor thing... Having to deal with the "unknown" is tough... My grandmother always tells me to "prepare for the worst and hope for the best..." I know it may not help, but it gives me a wide array of thoughts and makes it a bit easier to deal with whatever happens... Good luck, and I will be praying for you... Diana
Unread 08-06-2004, 10:25 PM

I really doubt it could be test results. I had my final results after 1 week. Also, I think MOM is right, they would go through your doctor first to report any findings. I sincerely doubt they would take it upon themselves to contact you directly.

Think about it - your DR is the "liason" between the lab/you, why would they go around him/her???? Only your DR could really know exactly how the results would affect you and your treatment. After all, the lab doesn't know what was actually done to you.

I would be willing to bet it is something billing related. Maybe they have a problem with your insurance or something..................................... don't sweat it for the weekend. I really don't think it's anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2004, 10:43 PM

Thanks friends.

I didn't even know I had a serious problem until 2 weeks before my hysterectomy, and I didn't know what would be found until the surgery itself, so this has all been so sudden, I still feel like I'm treading the unknown. This has been especially unnerving as no one else in my family has ever experienced anything like it.

I'm so glad you were here for me this evening!

Marta
Unread 08-07-2004, 05:25 AM

Hang in there MoonMab!
I bet its something concering your co-pay or something !
Unread 08-07-2004, 06:10 AM

If your lab was contacting you about pathology reports, I have to be honest and say that this would be the first time I had ever heard of that scenario. They could be looking for any number of pieces of information, none of which are related to the pathology report itself. Any medical information should come only through your physician.

I'll quote Ellen (Margaret321) again: Don't waste a good panic! It's probably nothing significant.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and 'ers anyway that you'll be able to sleep and relax until Monday.

Unread 08-07-2004, 08:16 AM

I believe your Mom and others are correct -- any further pathology info would first be reported to your doctor who would pass it on to you. The path lab would not contact you directly about it. I think you can very safely relax for the rest of the weekend.

When you talk to the lab on Monday, I would let them know in no uncertain terms the stress, panic, etc. that phone message left for you on Friday caused. I would write to an administrative person at the lab also. They should review procedures for leaving messages -- simply don't on any day after noon or probably better, also leave a brief reason for the call.

Mary D.
Unread 08-07-2004, 08:21 AM

My pathology reports also came through my Dr. But, of course, when they called it was on a Friday when I wasn't home and had to wait til Monday. It does scare ya to death. But, just try to relax and keep busy doing something not worrying. It may just be a billing question or something.

Deanna
Unread 08-07-2004, 08:37 AM

Given the lamentable state of medical coverage these days, I'll bet it's something about your insurance, or your co-pay, or whatever.

And I agree with the others, I've never heard of a lab calling with the results.

I hope that you'll nicely let them know what stress this call has caused you.

Keep us posted....hopefully you and we will all be chuckling about whatever dumb question they were calling you with!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 08-07-2004, 09:32 PM

When I tried to call the lab and got their answering machine, I did let the woman who called me know that her call was very upsetting, especially because it was a friday and I would have to wait until Monday to know what was going on!

In my job, I also deal with client confidentiality and there is just no way I would ever leave any kind of messege on a client's answering machine unless I knew for sure that machine did indeed belong to my client. If I absolutely had to get hold of that person, I would make sure I had a second number. In fact, I had two other numbers listed on my patient information sheet, one being my work number. It wouldn't have hurt for them to try me at work. They wouldn't even have had to identify themselves as the path lab.

At the least, the person who left the messege could have started her messege with, "This is not a call about your medical results, but about your bill". Since she was sure I lived at the phone #, (my phone messege is a poem and does not include my name) then she could have left an explanation as to why she was calling.

Now I'm mad!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register