D & C ? Please Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

D & C ?  Please Help D & C ? Please Help

Unread 08-08-2004, 05:06 PM
D & C ? Please Help

I recently went to a new Ob/Gyn and because I have heavy bleeding during my periods she did a ultrsound and a biopsy. I found out after the endo biopsy and an ultra-sound that i have Endometrial hyperplasia w/atypia. I am going to have a D and C on Sept 2nd to find out how bad it is and whether I need a hysterectomy. I have been really upset since I found this out. I have been reading a lot of the posts here and it has helped me to understand a lot of what my doctor has told me. I am so scared even of the D and C , I would be relived if anyone can share with me what happens during the D & C . I had a lap in 98 and I was so sick from the anesthesia... is it possible to get a local or do they give you general always for the D & C.

Thanks Sandi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2004, 05:40 PM
D & C ? Please Help

Sandi, I don't know that I can be much help. I had general anesthesia for the D&C (which was early in the a.m.). That was my first time with anesthesia. I was very nauseous from it after. I spent the day in the hospital, but went home around 6:00 p.m. After sleeping it off at home that night, I was fine the next day.

The next time I had general anesthesia was for the hyst. I was told to tell the anesthesiologist prior to the surgery about my experience / nausea after D&C. I did and he adjusted / added drugs to the mix so it was a much better experience the second time. You should have a brief conversation with the anesthesiologist before going to the operating room.

Good luck. Try not to worry.

Mary D.
Unread 08-08-2004, 05:41 PM
D & C ? Please Help

I had a D&C last Nov. I was under general anesthesia, but i think an epidural might me an option to discuss with your Dr. I had no problems with the procedure and was fine the next day. The procedure is to dialate your cervix so the Dr can get inside the uterus to see what is going on in there. I didn't have any pain except for mild cramps the night of the procedure. Was only at the hosp for approx 4 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2004, 05:58 PM
D & C ? Please Help

I have a friend who had hers with just the use of a new type of anesthesia called Propofol. I had a colonoscopy with its use, and woke up clear, with total recall of everything up to and including the fact that it burned going in . But I had zero recollection of the procedure itself, just the way I like it I've always felt nauseated from anesthesia too, but then I've come to realize it's the Demerol and Vistaril that many anesthesiologists still use that cause it. I ask for Versed instead, and that's been plenty! I just know that I can't take demerol or morphine; the nausea is worse than the pain.

So ask about propofol. It's VERY short-acting, and my friend said that it was no problem for her D & C. I know that I felt just fine afterward, and only didn't want to eat b/c they'd done a lot of biopsies on my stomach in the process, and it still did hurt. Otherwise, though, I felt perfectly OK for the rest of the day, eating a more or less normal dinner that night.

Hope this helps, and good luck. You may be one of those ladies for whom the D & C is "curative." Take a look around here with our search engine; if you put in "endometrial hyperplasia" or "endometrial cancer" you'll find a number of posts. Some women, if it's very early stage, have opted for a trial of progestins, such as Megace, or the Mirena coil. There's a lot of posts about both on here.

The more you learn, hopefully the calmer you'll feel. Knowledge is power, in my book -- I find that the more I know, the easier it is to feel "in control" and that I have choices. Sometimes they are hard ones -- but at least I've known that I went into my decisions knowing as much as I could about what I was dealing with.

Good luck! I sure hope it doesn't come to a hyst for you -- and if it does, well, you have lots of excellent, supportive, and friendly company!

Audrey
Unread 08-08-2004, 06:00 PM
D & C ? Please Help

Hi Sandi, I had a D & C to remove some polyps and submucous fibroids, the polyps were biopsied and found out I had endometrial hyperplasia w/atypia even though my endometrial biopsy 2 weeks before was negative. Apparently the polyps happened to be in a different location in the uterus so I was fortunate the MRI I had done showed the polyps. I had a general anethestic because of the procedure was going to be lengthy. I felt fine in recovery, had some cramping that evening, but was fine the next day, and went to work the day after. I'm sure you told your dr about your reaction the last time, this will make a difference I'm sure with what they do for you. Good luck, I hope you have good results.

Deb
Unread 08-08-2004, 06:04 PM
D & C ? Please Help

I had a D & C along with a cone biopsy back in February. I had an epidural and the surgery was done on an outpatient basis. I was in 6:00 a.m. and home by 2:00 p.m. The surgery itself took less than 30 minutes, however, you have to stay in recovery until you can urinate and until you can use your legs. (You actually have to stay longer a little longer with an epidural as opposed to a general). I had no pain at all - before, during, or after. I was amazed. You'll do just fine. Try not to worry. Waiting is the hardest part.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register