dermoid cyst - hysterectomy or just cyst removal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dermoid cyst - hysterectomy or just cyst removal? dermoid cyst - hysterectomy or just cyst removal?

Unread 08-10-2004, 01:50 PM
dermoid cyst - hysterectomy or just cyst removal?

Hi everyone,

I have a grapefruit sized dermoid cyst on my right overy. I am scheduled for surgery on August 27. The doctor has given me the option of a hysterectomy and I'm not sure if I should have just the cyst removed or have the hysterectomy.

My OB says that while not medically necessary at this point, the hysterectomy can be justified based on my history. I have polycystic overy syndrome, although this is the first cyst. The use of birth control pills until last year has kept it under control. My uterus is enlarged to the size of a 2 or 3 month pregnancy and I have a few pea sized fibroids.

My periods are regular, but very heavy for the first few days. I don't have much pain and am not limited in my activities. I am 44 years old and do not have hot flashes or other signs of the onset of menopause.

Right now I have chosen to remove only the right overy and cyst. My OB says I will have a 2 week recovery period. My husband will be home the first week after surgery. I have a very active 4 year old son that I will be home alone with after the first week. My older kids will be back in school. The doctor has said that I have about a week to change my mind and have the hysterectomy.

I'm not sure which way I should go. Has anyone out there had just an overy/dermoid removal. How was your recovery? I know everyone is different and I just looking for some other points of view. Thanks for any input.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2004, 07:17 PM

HI! I am 43 and I also have a large dermoid cyst on one ovary and one fibroid on the uterus. I am having a hysterectomy on 8/19. I am having the ovary and uterus out. But I do have to make a decision as if I want to take out both ovaries. I could have chosen to not have the uterus out but I figured since I have a small fibroid on it, then I might as well get that out too! I just need some input on getting the good ovary out. Dr said that she thinks I should leave one if it looks ok since it will produce hormones. She did say there is a 20% chance down the road that the one will have to come out later. I don't think I want that chance for another operation but she said that having both out is such a shock and that I will go through a lot with out them. I think I am willing to go on hormones and not have to worry about the one ovary!! If anyone has any input on this, please let me know!
Good luck making your decision!
Karen
Unread 08-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Re: dermoid cyst - hysterectomy or just cyst removal?

Quote:
Originally posted by mchot425
The doctor has said that I have about a week to change my mind and have the hysterectomy.

I'm not sure which way I should go. Has anyone out there had just an overy/dermoid removal. How was your recovery? I know everyone is different and I just looking for some other points of view. Thanks for any input.
Dear Mary:

Welcome to HysterSisters

I HOPE your doc will let you change your mind all the way up til the time of surgery

You can use the *search* button at the top of this page to find other posts about dermoid cysts. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2004, 08:05 PM
removal of ovary

Hi there - I had an ovary removed last November. The recovery was about 2 weeks and at 3 weeks I felt like my old self again. It was tougher than my other laps in that an organ was removed. I chose to keep my uterus and other ovary for as long as I could. It was worth it even though I had to go back in July to have the full hysterectomy. I would do anything to keep your natural hormones and organs if you can. Even though it didn't work out for me I know I did everything I could to keep them and a hysterectomy is major recovery.
SashaB
Unread 08-12-2004, 06:26 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I am keeping my left ovary and uterus for now. This whole demoid thing came up so quickly. In June the lemon sized dermoid showed up on a CT scan that I had for a liver problem. My primary care doc said it would have to be removed, so I knew I was looking at surgery. It was a big shock when my GYN said I could have a full hysterectomy. I had just learned of the cyst 2 weeks earliear and had no pain or symptoms. I've never had problems other than heavy irregular periods, and they were controled with birth control pills.

I had prepared myself for the hyster, but after a pelvic ultrasound in July, she said "it wasn't medically necessary" at this time. The dermoid is the size of a grapefruit, but the 2 fibroids are the size of a pea. She said insurance might deny the hyster, but she could probably word her report to get it covered, based on my history of heavy bleeding. I don't want to end up paying a huge chunk of money if insurance won't cover everything. I know the cyst is growing because I now feel pressure from it most of the time. I want to get rid of it as soon as possible. I think the doc gave me a week to change my mind was because of the insurance process.

My OB says she doesn't know if I'll need the hysterectomy a few years down the line. I guess I'm willing to take the chance. She definately wants to leave the good overy for the hormones. Why remove a body part that doesn't need removing. If she opens me up and finds something different, then she can do the hyster.

My doc told me the left overy is working fine and she wants to leave it in so I go through a natural menopause. My mom had everything but one overy removed when she was 50 and never had to take any type of hormone replacement.

I think I may have had the uterus removed if I could have had surgery earlier in the summer. I have three kids and the littlest is a handful. He is 4 and has ADHD. Always on the go and very rough and tumble. He will be in preschool two morning a week. The big kids start school 2 days after my surgery. My DH will be home the first week, but I don't know if I could manage a six week recovery home alone with at 4 year old for most of the day. I think the 2 week recovery for just the cyst removal will be enough.

I happy to hear that the two week recovery time is about right. My doc told me I should be able to drive after a week or so. Since I've new had a lap before, I'm not sure what to expect.

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register