weight lifting and pets | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

weight lifting and pets weight lifting and pets

Unread 08-10-2004, 10:36 PM
weight lifting and pets

Hi everyone,
I'm six weeks post op on Thursday. That's when I see my dr. I was wondering if it would hurt to do some biceps and triceps exercises. I've been going to the gym and walking (or should I say strolling) on the treadmill and was wondering when I could add back some weights.
I was also thinking about how many of us have praised our DH for the incredible job they have done. My DH took such special care of me! I haven't seen anyone mention their pets. I have two Miniature Pinschers. Rocky is black and red and Latte is Chocolate. They think that this surgery has been the best thing they have ever experienced. They have been so faithful. It did not matter how many naps a day I needed they were always there for me, ready to take another nap. They have never just had me all to themselves and me staying in one place so much. They were so traumatized when I was in the hospital that when my DH would come home in the evening without me he would give them treats to calm them down and distract them. I finally started feeding them myself about two weeks post op and realized how much weight they had gained. Rocky gained 1 1/2 and Latte gained 1 lb. They only weigh 12 and 6 lbs to begin with. What a holiday for them. They got me all to themselves and got fat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2004, 10:55 PM
weight lifting and pets

Hi Joy,

I can't comment on the exercises - my surgeon said "you can ride your exercise bike when you feel ready" .. not much help was it ?

My DH is being such a sweetie too, going shopping for groceries - but I find I have to be Very Specific when I ask for something. I wanted broccoli - I got one piece I asked for mushrooms - I got this huge container of mushrooms *sigh* .

I missed my cats so much I had dreams about them while I was in the Castle. DH told me they were looking around the house for me. Now I find there is usually one within sight of me, spying silently - I think they have a roster to make sure I won't sneak away again without them knowing.
Unread 08-10-2004, 11:13 PM
weight lifting and pets

My dogs have also been a Godsend. They were so patient and velcroed to me most of the time after I got home from the castle. My little chihuahua's Rachael, Tiffany and Macie are all under four pounds, and sleep right up next to me as does my poodle. I have three other dogs but they aren't as mommy's dogs as those!! I do own a kennel, so it is easy to have so many, I'm sure we'd all love to hear about everyones pets and their help in your recovery.
Looking forward to hearing about them!!!
Hugs
Bobbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2004, 11:20 PM
weight lifting and pets

I can relate about the shopping. It's been almost six weeks now and I made dinner for the first time tonight with his help. I'm spoiled!
I think animals help you heal quicker. When I would start to feel stressed out they would always be there. My only problem was keeping them off my stomach and not tripping on toys.
Unread 08-11-2004, 12:06 AM
weight lifting and pets

I have a cat who sleeps on my stomach, when I sleep in the recliner, which I will probably be doing more after my surgery. She weighs 10 lbs, I'm having a tvh, will I have to keep her off my lap, and how will I do that without hurting my sweetheart's feelings?

Thanks, Lois
Unread 08-11-2004, 01:20 AM
weight lifting and pets

Well, Lois, so far my cats have slept higher up when I'm in the recliner, more on my chest than on my tummy, and that has been fine - except when one does the nipple-cripple by sticking a rock hard little paw on it !!

If your sweetheart doesn't want to move up, good luck! She may have to cope with hurt feelings - does she give you the 'sitting there like a sack of nuts' treatment? When they sit with their back to you and every hair on their body radiates disappointment ?
Unread 08-11-2004, 05:26 AM
weight lifting and pets

Hi Sister Joy,

My doctor cleared me at six weeks to go back to weight lifting and running, starting out slowly with both of course. I had gotten a bit soft, but hadn't lost all my muscle, thank goodness. I've started back with about half the weight I was lifting before and am doing a walk-a-lap, run-a-lap routine for now. Yesterday I did a mile and a half, with more running than walking, and last night my swelly belly was the biggest yet! No pain, though, so I guess I'll keep going - lol!

Mimi
Unread 08-11-2004, 06:00 AM
weight lifting and pets

I'm at 5 weeks post op and yesterday my doctor said it's OK to lift weights, especially for upper body workout. The motto is go slow and if it hurts, stop. He said that at this point I won't rip anything apart - so overdoing will just be an issue of getting sore.

On the pet front, my cat has been my best companion. He likes to sleep on my stomach. In my case, I nudged him down to rest on the top of my legs rather than on my incision. He was happy and I was happy!

Searchgal
Unread 08-11-2004, 08:54 AM
weights and starting back

My doc cleared me at 4 weeks to start back with the strength training/weights. I talked to the trainer at the Y about it, and he said to go back to what I was doing in January and start with those weights-they might be too light, but I could start there and work my way back up.

He said the most important thing to do is BREATHE! Don't hold your breath-that is what creates the interstitial pressure that can cause a hernia.

I could do all the machines at January's weights with extreme ease-except the abdominal machine. I had to cut that one way back-but it gets easier every week now.
Unread 08-11-2004, 10:43 AM
weight lifting and pets

Always get clearance from your doctor, especially for weight-bearing activities! You'll want to be certain that you have healed well and are healthy enough to take on this endeavor.

I am also a weight lifter. I bike, run, hike, kayak, and sail, too. All of those activities still scare me as a little overactivity caused my belly to swell WAY up the other day. I have been very active post-surgery, but I am waiting for official clearance before trying other things. I am sooooo afraid of having a setback!

I am having my 6-week check up tomorrow, even though I am 5 weeks post-op. I have travel planned next week, an added bonus on top of my leave and my doc wants to be sure that I don't need further testing, etc. before I leave for vacation.

Hugs,

Jackie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register