New Treatments, New Techniques, New Us!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Treatments, New Techniques, New Us!! New Treatments, New Techniques, New Us!!

Unread 08-11-2004, 04:43 AM
New Treatments, New Techniques, New Us!!

I have a friend named Donna.

Although Donna and I have never actually met we do share a common bond, Ovarian Cancer.

I was given Donna's name and number from my sister-in-law. Their children go to the same school. I called her and each time we spoke it was as if we had known each other a lifetime. We actually live in the same town and are hoping to get together for lunch before school starts.

Both of our jouneys began a little over two years ago. My tumor was operatable and removed with a ca125 number of 454, at that time. Donna's was too large to operate on so he did chemo first to try and shrink the tumor. Her number was in the thousands. After about 4 months of chemo, the tumor shrunk enough and surgery took place.

I got a letter in the mail yesterday from Donna. (yes an actual U.S. Post office letter LOL) and she asked me to share her good news with my hystersisters.

In July, she went to MD Anderson to meet with the research doctor and was admitted into the trial. She was the last person from the U.S. admitted into Phase 2. She did not qualify for phase 3 because she already had too much chemo.

She says that Anderson is an incredible facility and with this new treament she is hoping to conquer this disease.

The new drug she is taking is TLK286 in combo with carboplatin. She says that the drug only targets abnormal cancer cells and causes cell death. In July, her ca125 was 1716 and in August it was down to 719. She went on to say that after the initial 2 to 3 day yucky slump, she feels great. No Fatigue, high energy level, no hair loss, no rash, no nothing.

She wanted to tell everyong that great things are happening and that it is a new approach that works!!

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2004, 05:17 AM

Dear Rosalie....Thank you for sharing that with us. I am so glad your friend is doing well. The drug sounds very promising. Keep well.

Bertha
Unread 08-11-2004, 06:23 AM

Rosalie

Thank you so much for sharing that wonderful news about Donna.

I think all of us who have ovca, are so encouraged by that news!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2004, 07:34 AM

Absolutely encouraged by Donna's results!

Thank her for me for doing this trial and thank YOU for sharing her good news with us!

Unread 08-11-2004, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely ask my doctor about it.
Unread 08-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Donna

Hooray for her! MD Anderson seems to be THE place and I do hope that this drug will show its value in trials and beyond. Oh if we only had good trials here at UW Comprehensive Cancer Center... Nothing really for ovarian. Sigh...
Unread 08-11-2004, 03:06 PM

Rosalie,I truely believe MDAnderson is the best place for your friend to be. Although I don't have ovarian cancer ,I do have a sarcoma and MD Anderson is whom my ob/gyn refers with. It's the number one hospital for the treatment of Sarcoma. Thanks for sharing .

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register