Incisional Hernia Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incisional Hernia Surgery Incisional Hernia Surgery

Unread 08-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Incisional Hernia Surgery

Can anyone share their experience with an incisional hernia repair surgery? What to expect regarding surgery, recovery,
time off from work, the effectiveness and whatever else you can think of.

Any special questions I should ask the surgeon?

Did you have trouble fitting your clothes prior to your hernia repair? I still can't fit my pre-surgery clothes. I'm hoping
once my hernia is repaired I'll notice a difference in my clothes.

This is my story! I went to my Gyn last week because I thought I had an incisional hernia. I kept thinking that what I was feeling was normal and that I was possibly still healing. I also thought I still had the dreaded "swelly belly". I was having trouble
standing for a long period of time, I hurt when I coughed, sneezed or laughed. Not to mention, I thought the hard
bump I was feeling was a sign that I was still healing. Last week I asked my husband if he thought I had a hernia
and I proceeded to strain and make my stomach bulge. Hubby instantly confirmed my thoughts………..that's a huge
HERNIA!

My Gyn referred me to a surgeon which I will consult with tomorrow. My Gyn said my hernia is fairly large and that
I will need to be cut again and a mesh will be placed in my abdomen.

I'm so upset and depressed. I had such a wonderful experience with my hysterectomy and recovery, but I'm just not ready
to "RECOVER" again!

One thing I've learned, don't ignore ANY discomforts. If something doesn't feel right, call and/or visit your doctor.

Any words of wisdom are appreciated!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2004, 02:12 PM

I had 3 c-sections and my gallbaldder removed abdominally within a 4 yr period resulting in a huge hernia. I am having mine repaired when I have my hyst. I told the doc she was only getting ONE more shot at me, so she said she would work with a general surgeon who will repair mine with the mesh and close. I had the same discomforts you had. Be strong, you should feel a lot better once you are "repacked" for lack of a better word lol, gotta smile through this somehow~ GOOD LUCK!
Unread 08-11-2004, 02:51 PM
hi

Hi there, I was wondering, did you feel achy in the incision area when you sat for long or wore tight pants? Also, how did they dx the hernia? Did it show up on a ct scan, or could you DR just feel it? I am one year post-op, and I have been feeling the same pressure, tenderness that I've felt around 3 months P/O. I feel fine when I get up in the morning, but by days-end, I feel very achy & tender across the incision area. I thought it was adhesions, and I don't want to go back to the DR!
Good Luck to you, hope this surgery clears up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2004, 04:24 PM

Well there was the bulge that just never went away (only popped out like yours, when I coughed or sneezed), but yea I have a dull achy feeling by the day's end if I stand too long. My hernia was repaired temporarily when I had my last c-section. By the time my daughter was 1 it was back. It has progressively gotten worse, I can't wear pants with button and fly, I am reduced to wearing those "big girl" jeans, ya know the ones with the elastic and the drawstring. If I want to wear a normal pair of jeans I usually end up "paying" for it after a few hours, the ache gets really bad. It has gotten worse with time, the bulge is there all the time now. Get the surgery while you can tollerate it. You DO NOT want to have it get strangulated and have to have it repaired in the middle of the night in an emergency situation! Take care, and GOOD LUCK!
Unread 08-11-2004, 05:32 PM

To Whatsnormal:

As Missdawn said, those are pretty much my symptoms too. Wearing tight pants is very uncomfortable and most of my clothes are very tight fitting.

My Gyn diagnosed my hernia by feeling my stomach lying down and standing up and made me cough. I'm not sure what will take place with my visit to the surgeon. I'll let you know.

When you cough or laugh do you feel or see a bulge in your abdomen? If so, you may want to schedule a visit with your doctor. If it is a hernia it can enlarge and, as Missdawn said, get
strangulated and require an emergency surgery.

I wonder if I would have went back to my doctor sooner if I could have avoided being cut open again and have this procedure done by laparoscope.

Good luck to you too Whatsnormal........please go visit your doctor!

Best wishes to you Missdawn with your upcoming hysterectomy!

Thanks!
Unread 08-11-2004, 05:46 PM

to both of you, thanks for the well wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register