Afraid to have hysterectomy but afraid not to | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Afraid to have hysterectomy but afraid not to Afraid to have hysterectomy but afraid not to

Unread 08-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Afraid to have hysterectomy but afraid not to

Hi, I,m 32 yrs. old and have been suffering with endometriosis and
ovarian cysts that bust open and then return for quite some time.
I also suffer from what I,m guessing is a hormonal imbalance with symtoms of anxiety, depression,thinning hair,breast soreness,
constant yeast infections, headaches, digestive problems,
tiredness,dry saggy skin, heavy bleeding and clots,very painfull periods, anemia ,brain fog and did I mention depression? I guess you could say I feel like crap 90% of the time. I am currently taking prilosec 40.mg for my stomach and levoxyl for low thyroid. I have very bad anxiety and it is difficult for me to go to the doctor but when the symtoms and the pain in my side got too bad to handle I went to the doctor. He did a cat scan and found I had ovarian cysts but said that he could not tell if there was endo without doing a laproscope. My mother had endo in her 20s that was so bad it was even on her lungs, she was on the table for 9 hours. I was the only child she was able to have before her hysterectomy.
She has been on HRT for 30 yrs. now and has had numerous
problems and lots more surgeries for adhesions and breast tumors and all kinds of things. Anyway I had been pretty healthy
most of my life aside from having my gall bladder out when I was 21, until about a year after having my last child 7 yrs. ago when I
started to have really bad anxiety and phobias about germs and sickness and I gain about 70 lbs. in 4 yrs and all the other symtoms I listed followed. So now I can live like this no longer, I
had the laproscopic sugery done 3 mos ago which my doctor confirmed I did have endo which he lasered but said that one ovary was embedded in the bowel and he could not get it out all the way. It's been only 3 mos. since and I feel like I have another cyst about to bust which I can only compare with the pain of hard labor. I go next week to talk to him about having the hysterectomy and he will take blood to measure my hormone levels. I am scared about the surgery which he said could not be done laproscopic and I'm even more scared about taking hormones after. I'm only 32 and dont want to be without hormones so Im thinking of trying bio-identical hormones but doctors dont like to give anything that is not mainstream. I guess I'm just very scared about the whole thing and I tend to be very negative about everything anymore. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2004, 04:43 PM

Hello,

Some of your symptoms may subside if they get your thyroid in balance. I have graves disease *overactive thyroid*. The dry skin, brain fog, thinning hair, anxiety, head aches could all be caused by your Thyroid. It can also mess up your periods in a serious way.

Although getting mine in balance didn't help my female problems. But it did stop the symptoms I mentioned above plus the heart palphitations, hives, brittle nails, ringing ears and more I am sure I have forgotten. Most of the symptoms for high and low thyroid are the same.

In my case, having the hyst was one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

Good luck finding your answers. I hope you can find some peace with the help from your "sisters".

Unread 08-11-2004, 04:45 PM

Hi,

Sorry you have had so much trouble with your health, maybe the surgery will help with some of the problems. If you go to the top of the page and click on Resources there is a lot of info there for you to read so you are more informed about the surgery and post op.

There are a few bio-identicals that your gyn can perscribe one is the Vivelle dot patch and the other is Estrace pills. They both have estradiol in them which is bio-identical and you can get it in your regular pharmacy and not have to get from a compounding pharmacy.

I hope this helps and best wishes on your surgery.

Many women have this surgery and do just fine, so try to think positive and know that you are not alone.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2004, 06:17 PM

I agree with S. Ann that if you can get your thyroid squared away you may feel tons better. Once I had my thyroid surgery things were much better for me. That doesn't mean I'm not having to have a hyst., but I feel great otherwise. My trouble with the thyroid was that I had a multinodular goiter that had wrapped itself around my windpipe and was also pumping out a ton of hormones I didn't need. I couldn't sleep, my hair was falling out, and I would go into rages at the drop of a pin. Once that side was removed I was back to my old self and sleeping good once more. Low thyroid can do similar things -- either way you need to get that under control. Have you been on the thyroid board yet? http://thyroid.about.com/ should start you on that.

Sara

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register