How does Zoladex(goserelin acetate) compare to having no ovaries? Feels the same? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How does Zoladex(goserelin acetate) compare to having no ovaries? Feels the same? How does Zoladex(goserelin acetate) compare to having no ovaries? Feels the same?

Unread 08-11-2004, 08:30 PM
How does Zoladex(goserelin acetate) compare to having no ovaries? Feels the same?

Hey all you sisters out there, I'm hoping I can get some feedback to help me decide whether the Dr. should take my ovaries out or not. Surgery is three weeks away.

My blood count was so low, due to two large fibroids (Cantaloupe and Tennis Ball), that my Dr. put me on a drug called zoladex (same thing as goserelin acetate), which effectively simulates a fake menopause in the body so that the periods stop. Before that, I was losing so much blood every month, there was no way I could build up my iron, because it was all just flowing out the other end. Stopping the periods did the trick on that score. Otherwise they wouldn't have operated on me, too anemic. After only 2 months on this, my iron levels are now great.

The fake menopause continues as long as you are on the drug. The fibroids shrink a bit, but if I went off the drug, they would go right back to "normal" and my periods would also return.

My "menopause" hasn't actually been too bad. My question is this: has anyone else had this experience and then had the ovaries out? Do you feel the same without ovaries as you felt on the zoladex?

I was worried about having no estrogen left (if ovaries were removed). I am not a good candidate for HRT because both of my sisters have had breast cancer. I wanted to keep my ovaries just to have that little tiny bit of estrogen, but if getting them out feels just like I feel now in my "fake menopause," then I can handle it. In my case the hot flashes have not been too bad.

The only other symptom I have noticed is that I think my joints are a bit more stiff. I'm in pretty good shape physically other than the fibroid stuff, so having stiff joints is a really new and weird feeling for me.

I'm 53, and real menopause seemed to be nowhere in sight yet, so I'm really glad to be going for the surgery now. I tried to solve this issue other ways, but those ways, although they helped me in some fashion, were not effective in shrinking the fibroids and solving the low iron problem.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? I haven't noticed anyone mentioning zoladex in other posts. I'm not looking for medical advice, but just if in your experience, zoladex and having no ovaries feels like the same level of menopause symptoms.

Sorry it took me so long to explain it, and if anyone has read this far, thanks for hanging in there. I hope some of the post-op ladies look here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2004, 09:35 AM
How does Zoladex(goserelin acetate) compare to having no ovaries? Feels the same?

Hi, I don't have any experiences to share with you. I didn't have to take Zolodex.
I am sending you lots of s and hope that someone with experiences and info to share will come along soon

Unread 08-12-2004, 07:42 PM

Hi Jean,

Thanks so much for responding. I've been thinking about this issue a lot since my gyn visit yesterday, and I'm leaning toward having the ovaries out. I was fairly against it before, but now I think it's the right choice for me. I'd still be curious if anyone else has any similar experiences, but maybe the place to post is over on the post-op side.

Thanks again, Jean, I am feeling more secure as time goes by.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2004, 08:29 PM

Hi Ya ReedGurl,

I am only 35 BUT I have tried Zoladex earlier this year & now am 9 days post op from TAH & removed ovaries, I think the zoladex was more severe at this point, as the only trouble so far is when I have had 1 scotch & coke drink with my evening meal on 2 consecutive nights then had a mega night sweat at 2am in bed....last night NO alcohol only good old fashioned water with my meal & milo for bed & no sweats in bed, also my body seams to be able to regulate itself ok.

Me thinks my body is going NO to alcohol....Presently I am not on any HRT but I was told as soon as any sweats or the like started start taking it....I am going to my Gyno & seeing her & will get about taking some HRT.

So in answer to your question this side of the op. is far far better than I could have imagined, tho I do have a very very mild dull headache & feel mildly fuzzy in the brain department, which is most unlike me, BUT I am only 9 days post op.

Tho the thing I HATE the most is my swelly belly, & its numb....

cheers Vegemite
Unread 08-13-2004, 08:31 PM

Hi there vegemite,

Thanks for the info----very reassuring I'm feeling really good right now, and only 2 and a half more wks. to go until my big day at the castle.

Yeah, the rum & cokes sounded pretty vicious. I can't usually tolerate the hard stuff any more, just have to stick with wine or beer if I have anything at all.

Your body will probably let you know what it can handle and you can be the judge.

Have a great recovery, and I hope you continue to do well. You didn't sound fuzzy at all in the brain dept. to me, but I love how you said it! Thanks again for the feedback!

Reedgurl in Canada

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register