2 years ago i had my hyster..would i ever do it again? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 years ago i had my hyster..would i ever do it again? 2 years ago i had my hyster..would i ever do it again?

Unread 06-25-2004, 08:21 AM
2 years ago i had my hyster..would i ever do it again?

two years ago today i had my hyesyterectomy.... if i would of known then what i know now i NEVER would have had it done. what i have been through since the surgery has been inhuman. however through it all i relized that i have a strength and a will that i didnt even know existed. i found out i am definetly a survivior and i just dont give in or give up. i never thought i had all this in me. my faith and belief in god has grown to the point where i go to church every morning because i feel that He has saved me and helped give me the strength to get thorugh all i have been through. it has taken this long for me to start to feel better from the things that were robbing me of my life. i never gave up hope in believeing that i was going to get well and slowly i am. i am not perfect and may never be prehyster chris again. but.... i will take what god has restored in me and keep on going.for those who feel like i do that they never would have done this again(hyster) what ever you are suffering with... just believe and affirm everyday that you will get well and believe that you are not alone and there is a GREATER ONE who listens and will walk through everything with you even though you cant see HIM. the power of your mind and attitude will determine where you will end up. i found that out. affirming positive..believeing and not giving up brought me here today.... chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2004, 07:37 PM

Hello

I had my hysterectomy on the same day as you. I came here tonight feeling hopeless and ready to give up. I am still dealing with problems that have only been complicated since my surgery. You have given me hope. Thank you for your post and Happy Hysterversary to both of us!!!!
Unread 06-26-2004, 02:50 PM
To Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm happy to hear that you have faith and that God is helping you through these difficult times.

Like you, I also regret having the hysterectomy. Mine was a little more than two years ago. It has destroyed my life. The worst thing is, I had nothing wrong with me when I had the surgery. I went to the gynecologist for a routine pap smear/internal exam. He told me I had a fibroid tumor, and he convinced me that my only course of action would be to have it all removed. I had never been to this doctor before--it was my first appointment with him. Boy, did he see me coming!

Keep in mind, I had no symptoms. But I'll tell you, I've had plenty of "symptoms" since the surgery. With many of my health issues, it wasn't apparent to me that the hysterectomy was the cause. I'm talking about pain in my hip, back, legs. And I'm talking about extreme, incapacitating fatigue. I'm also talking about depression. Unbearable depression. And...since my surgery 2 years ago, I've gained 50 pounds!

I used to be an active, vital woman who enjoyed life. Now even I don't recognize "me".

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Margie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2004, 03:08 PM

Chris,
While I continue to have problems 5 years later, I don't regret having the hyst. Yes, it has changed many things for me, but not everything is bad. And I don't know for sure whether I would still be having these problems or not. So, while the hyst didn't fix all my pain issues, it did stop the bleeding, cysts, and my uterus from falling out.

I have found hormonal balance, now if someone would find out what's wrong with this of mine, figure out a cure for nerve damage and develop a magic patch or pill that will allow me to eat pizza and hamburgers I would be in the streets!

Unread 06-26-2004, 07:52 PM
2 years ago 6/25

Hi all of you 6/25/2002 Hystersisters!!
I am so sorry that some of my 6/25 hystersisters are still suffering from the after effects of their surgeries. I had to have this surgery (tah/bso) because of severe endometrial atypical hyperplasia and ovarian cyst. My mom died from uterine CA, so I had no other intelligent choice but to have the surgery. I did pretty good physically, a few bumps in the road but nothing as horrible as what some of you are going through, even after 2 years. However, I had the most insensitive, uncaring, arrogant doctor one could imagine. Some of his remarks were downright hurtful. When I read about others who have had such wonderful doctors, I cry. I'm not a very emotionally needy person, but this was such a traumatic event for me, that alittle caring would have gone a long way. I, of course, have since given that doctor his walking papers and have just started going to a new doctor, who seems to be warm and caring, but I just can't quite get over the trauma of the first doctor. I wrote to my first dr. telling him exactly why I was leaving him and, true to his character, he never called me to give an explanation for his attitude or say he's sorry.....I guess having a hysterectomy is never easy, one way or another, and our lives, one way or another, are forever changed . I pray that my hystersisters will find physical and emotional healing and that I will find healing of a hurting heart.

Huntingandmoon
6/25/2002 - TAH/BSO
Unread 06-26-2004, 08:07 PM
yr in ahalf since hyster would i do it again

HIYA EVERYONE, I KNOW I HAVNT BEEN HERE IN A WHILE. I HAD MY HYSTER. ON JAN. 31 2003 DOC TOOK MY UTERUS I HAVE EVERYTHING ELSE. IM DOING BETTER NOW I SOMETIMES HAVE PAIN WHEN HAVING SEX BUT NOT TO MUCH ANYMORE. WOULD I EVER DO IT AGAIN OH YES I WOULD DO IT AGAIN IM SO HAPPY I DID.

WELL NOW IM ON DISABILITY I FRACTURED MY LOWER BACK IN 2002 BUT ITS GETTING WORSE I NOW HAVE A PINCHED NERVE IN MY LOWER BACK LEFT HIP AND DOWN MY LEFT LEG. SO NOW GOT ONE PROBLEM TAKIN CARE OF NOW HAVE ANOTHER. OH WELL THATS LIFE I GUESS. BUT ATLEAST I GET TO SPEND MORE TIME WITH MY FAMILY LOL. OK ENOUGH DEPRESSING EVERYONE ILL LET YALL GO TAKE CARE.

HOPE EVERYONE IS DOING GOOD AND FEELING BETTER AND HAVING A NICE SUMMER. IM REALLY GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE LAST YR

LOVE YALL
Unread 06-28-2004, 05:55 AM

While there are things in my life that I don't particularly care for now (mood swings, weight gain, headaches) I never felt I had a choice about having my hyst. I had noticed a change in my periods over a period of 6 months (longer, heavier, cramps like I was 16 again) and went in for an early check up with my gyn. Following the regular check-up, he scheduled a endomitrial biopsy - done in his office. Called back in for results - stage 1 uterine cancer. He offered to send all my records to as many other drs. as I wanted to see for another opinion - but he has been one of the few people (medical or otherwise) that I trust totally and I went with his diagnosis. Despite the other problems that have come about as a results of the hyst and hrt, the bottom line is that it was discovered early (I credit this to him, he told me it was because I noticed a change and did something about it) and I am not going to die from this particular type of cancer.
Teresa
TAH/July 1999/Stage 1 uterine cancer

The biopsy came back - it was the size of a bb - l cm or less
Unread 06-29-2004, 07:00 PM

I had my surgery in May 2002. I to wish I had never had it done.
I am tired all the time, grumpy and can actually be down right mean. I just want to be left alone, the more time to myself the better I like it. Sounds bad I know, but its the truth. Gald to know that there are others out there that with regret also. I thought maybe it was just me.

Hugs,

Maysa
Unread 06-30-2004, 09:03 PM
i am glad there have been responses

i am so glad there have been responses ..... i was hoping i wasnt the only one that wishes i never had that surgery. but as i can see i dont stand alone. we cant take back what has been taken out of us to restore us to our old beings but we can make the most out of what is left and live on from there......chris
Unread 07-01-2004, 03:49 PM

I had mine almost 2 years ago and I wouldn't do it any differently. It's sad to hear that so many have had troubles since the surgery. I have had problems, but they were to be expected. However, I would do it all again. I have taken just about every kind of HRT there is to get it right and now it is. It was great up until 6 months ago when we had to make more changes but the hormones are getting back on track and things are great....well, with the exception of having to have surgery in 2 weeks for the Recto and Cystoceles. However, again, I knew that was going to happen because I actually had those repaired 3 years before the TVH. I will have to have it done about every 5 years but not because of the TVH.

Please look at the bright side of things and know that it can get better. I look at that everyday with a muriad of other health issues. Exercise, Eat Well, and take the meds that work to make you feel better. I am a resident expert on mood swings and depression, however, they make great meds that we have changes 101 times for that as well.

Take a step back and take a deep breath. There will be a bright side. Hope you all feel better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register