2 years ago i had my hyster..would i ever do it again? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 years ago i had my hyster..would i ever do it again? 2 years ago i had my hyster..would i ever do it again?

Unread 07-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Regrets about surgery

Hi,
I just joined the forum today, and it was great to find this topic.

I wish I could say it's nice to know others feel lousy two years after your surgery....but I don't wish this on anyone! I've begun to wonder if maybe I have fibromyalgia since I ache so severely and nothing OTC seems to relieve the pain. Maybe it's just from not sleeping. I probably never get more than 4 hours a night, and like many of you, the fatigue is debilitating. I have to force myself to take a shower each day (sometimes I don't!) and doing menial household tasks is sometimes impossible.

I actually miss working! I had to quit due to my insomnia and achy-ness and fatigue. I surely miss the income, but also the intellectual stimulation. My brain is definitely not working well. I was driving home the other day and missed the turn to my house. I'm only 46, and I don't think I have Alzheimer's yet. My cognitive abilities are just shot. I think the surgery just made my existing problems worse. I think my doctors have just been putting bandaids on me in the form of drugs and surgery, rather than really taking the time to find out the cause of my symptoms.

It helps to have you ladies out there. At least someone else understands! I thought maybe I was just becoming a hypochondriac....

Thanks for sharing, even if it's just about your pain. I'll keep you all in my prayers, and maybe if we keep sharing our experiences, we can help find treatments that will help us!

Hang in there, sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2004, 06:32 AM
2 years ago i had my hyster..would i ever do it again?

Hi Ladies,

I've been lurking here lately.....and I came across this thread. I too wish I had never had my hyster.....although there was no way I could have not had it. I was in so much pain from the endo I had no choice. Now, I have more problems than I could have ever thought. I knew I would be dealing w/hot flashes b/c I cannot take hrt, but the fatigue is awful. I have to make myself get up and going every morning....once I'm up, I need a good hour before I even begin to feel like moving. The fatigue is bad on/off throughout the day. Sleep? What is that?? I thought I didn't sleep before, now I am like a zombie!! 4 hours a night is good for me....anger....lots of it..hard to get a grip on my feelings at times. I don't want to be around people....at all. Without God in my life I am not sure what I would do....dare to think. Depression hits hard too....all this definitely has an effect on my family. Poor hubby....pain w/sex....we may make love once every three months...I thank God for a Godly man! That alone hurts me more than anything. I don't want to be close to him....the pain and sweat is too much to handle. I feel I am so weak now. That I have aloud my body to take over. My thought pattern is nill....I cannot remember important things anymore. It didn't bother me when I forgot where the tape is or where my fingernail file is but forgetting to pay bills on time is not a good thing.....I do have arthritis and REALLY need to go to a doctor, but I am so tired of all of the tests and they don't even look at my records.....I am tired of telling my story....only to end up with another pill (or 4) to take to see if it's gonna fix my problems. I can barely afford the meds I take now. My daughter is 13 and I see already that she is going to have problems like I did w/her period....she already sweats like me....and very moody at that time. She skips periods, has clotting and headaches too....just like I did when I was young and everyone (including my mother) said that was normal. I used to pass out, get diarhhea...what is normal about that?? I have so many problems I couldn't begin to list them, it is very depressing to only be 38 and have to live in this shell. I know I have to return to 'a' doctor, I'm just trying to figure out which one/type to go to. Right now we cannot afford the extra bills..w/out me working it is tough...on all of us. Well, I am rambling now. Just wanted to agree that I too wish I would have never gone through w/the hyster....even though I know there was just no other option....I pray for all of you that you will all feel better. May God Bless and take care of you and your families!

Lisa
Unread 07-15-2004, 02:19 PM

I know how you feel......Oh, do I know !!

Lots of Hugs,
Maysa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2004, 01:23 AM

Hi

I feel so guilty about complaining in my new post since I am just going on 8 months post op...after reading all that you ladies have been through. I am so scared though that I am going to end up the same way my bowels are such a mess and I am thinking they will never be the same I don't sleep and all the people I work with think I should feel so good. I thought that at after 7 months I would feel better and every time I get this HRT shot I get a vaginal infection maybe I am asking for to much to soon but from the looks of it even my GYN is worried about my bowels after this long with the problems, I just wanted to say how bad I feel for complaining when you all have suffered for so long...Take care you will be in my prayers
Unread 07-17-2004, 05:20 PM

Well, ladies I do not know if you are on any vitamins or not. I have found a vitamin from GNC. It is the Ultra Mega Womans vitamin. I found if I miss one I get the hot flashes and night sweats. I do get them but they are not very often. I tried this a long time ago for fatigue from feeling lousy from the fibroids. It is not for everyone but you might try this. It has helped me.I hope I do not feel this lousy in a few years. I do want my weight to go down. I do not want to get depressed. I hope we do get this figured out. I am not on any HRT. I was going to try without it nad see how things go. Please let us know how all of you are doing in this long raod to feeling better. \

I will pray for all of us .
Unread 07-17-2004, 05:27 PM

I've been taking that Ultra Mega Woman's Vitamin for a few months. Haven't really noticed if it helped, but I'll pay attention more now if I miss a day. I haven't really had many symptoms yet. I guess just lucky or maybe I still have hormones in me from pre-op.

Deanna
Unread 07-17-2004, 06:19 PM

Hey, Sisters!

For a long time after my hyst, I was not feeling well at all. (I'll spare you the details here...if you want to read my saga, go to "Meet Staff" on the More Hyster Sisters pull-down menu.) I am happy to report that for the last few months, I have felt "much improved." Not "sensational" all the time, not like I felt when I was 25 years old....but better than how I felt at my worst point.

Last fall, when I was about 8 months post-surgery and feeling pretty awful, I had a couple of long talks with one of my cousins, who is a clinical psychologist. (I traveled to southern California, where she makes her home, and spent a few days with her.) She was speaking to me as a loving cousin, not as a therapist, but, after all, she cannot "separate herself" from that which she was educated and trained to do. I told her that much of my distress stemmed from the fact that I was yearning to feel like "me" again. I wanted to get back into my comfortable old skin and feel exactly like the person I was before I had my surgical menopause "change" and all of its disruptions and negative repercussions. She told me that it may be best to stop yearning for my "old self" and to start learning to accept and come to peace with my "current self." I feel her words were very wise.

In partnership with my doctor, I have consistently but patiently worked to be the best "me" that I can be. My insomnia has finally been conquered (at least for the time being) with Trazodone, which is not even technically a sleeping pill. My HRT regimen (which had to be "tweaked" a couple of times) has made me feel energetic and mentally balanced.

If I have any advice to give to women who are still struggling months and years after their hyst, it would be to continue seeking solutions to your problem, but, at the same time, come to accept what you have been dealt. No matter how bad off you may be, you surely must know that there are countless unfortunate, suffering souls walking this planet at this very moment, who would trade places with you in a minute. Just do the best you can this minute, this hour, this day, and feel proud of yourself for doing so.

Many s to all!
Unread 07-17-2004, 10:37 PM

While I don't regret my hyst I do know that I have changed in many ways. I have extreme fatigue; I have trouble getting up to go to work and on weekends I have trouble getting up at all. Getting a shower feels like it is beyond me on my worst days. I am depressed and feel like any kind of a vibrant life is beyond me. I feel old and used up. However, I don't blame this on the hyst. I wish I had my whole life before me. But I don't and I regret much in my life. I wish that I could live to be so old that where I am now could be like starting over. This has been a very bad time.
Unread 07-18-2004, 12:22 AM

Dear Carmen,

Thank you for the very inspirational message. I really needed it!

Jan
Unread 07-18-2004, 05:19 AM

Hi sweetie!!!!!!! It's Pam. I have thought about you SOOOO many times over the last year that I have been away and I have to somewhat agree with ya on the "Would I ever do it again"

I just posted and unfortunatly am having MORE problems, but I also have faith in God that he will help me through this once again!!

I can say I HAD to have my hyst since I had precancerous ovaries and was bleeding so bad and in so much pain I thought I was going to die. BUT, I also wonder 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, what my life would be like without all of these problems that keep torturing me for what seems like forever.

I am in for surgery #9 and if you want to count all I have to have done we can actually make it #10!!! I almost lost my DH and had NO family with me through ANY of the surgeries and my life seemed so lost. I have confided in you many a times abgout how I felt and I sometimes still feel like my world is crashing around before me. It is only then I have to face reality. I CANT go back and change things and I sure cant control them. SO, what do I do????? and hopefully one day I will be able to somewhat function like a normal person again...

I hope you have found some answers since I talked to you last and I still hold you close to my heart!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register