2 years ago i had my hyster..would i ever do it again? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 years ago i had my hyster..would i ever do it again? 2 years ago i had my hyster..would i ever do it again?

Unread 08-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Would I ever do it again? You bet!!!

I'm sorry that so many of you are having serious complications after surgery. It can make you wish you could turn back the clock and make a different choice, but since we can't, I pray that each of you will be strengthened and encouraged by this website and by all the wonderful ladies that share their experiences both good and bad with us.

To add a little positive experience to this post, I had my hysterectomy in July 2002 and have had very few problems. I would do it again in a minute. I have so much more energy now (before hyst was very anemic what with two week long periods), relations with husband are great (used to be only about one week out of the month where I'd feel even half way in the mood). With that said I did have one question:

Has anyone ever experienced the following problem? Every once in a while, if I'm not careful about how I get out of bed or off the couch, I'll get a sharp pain in my abdomen (usually happens if I twist the bottom half of my body to one side instead of rolling my whole body at the same time to get up). Do you think it could be adhesions? I'm not exactly sure what those are, but I think they're scar tissue. Just wondering if I should see my doctor about it, or if this is fairly common after surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Lucille in CA

I'm with you. I can relate to every word you said. These Doctors go on with their lives and nothing has changed for them, while our lives have been turned upside down.
Unread 08-11-2004, 02:12 PM
2 years ago i had my hyster..would i ever do it again?

Linda,

You are right about the licensing requirements, of course. Every state has there own licensing board requirements (it is not federally standardized) and yes, med school graduates have to complete their residency and pass the boards.

However, please note that I said "gynecologist" and not OB/gyn. There is a difference. Maybe not so much now, for the latest generation of doctors, but there are still plenty of doctors out there who are "grandfathered" into practice and who have NOT met these requirements or are NOT board certified. This is why the AMA, the FACOG and the ABOG all urge patients to check their doctor's credentials.

As a patient, one cannot just assume that their doctor is up to speed on the latest training and technology.

As for the difference between MDs and DOs, there is a difference in the training. If there was no difference, then there would be no need to distinguish between the two. A DO cannot, by law, put MD after his or her name. It is a violation of the law because they ARE different. Especially, as I said earlier, the older generations.

I'm glad you have complete faith in your doctor; every woman should be able to say the same; but every woman should also be cautious about having blind faith in their doctor without verification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2004, 11:21 PM
not alone

Well, Ladies, it is good to know one is not alone in the struggle. Would I do it again? If I had known what I know now, I would have certainly made it a last resort. I did not know that one might shrink a fibroid with progesterone. I would have tried it. I think I have beat myself black and blue emotionally because I didn't know all the new stuff one could try.

I think we are just uninformed like many of our doctors. Not only that, but many of them are men and they don't have a clue.....
I have nothing aganst men at all. I just think that they ( many male doctors)cannot relate and being the less sensitive of the sexes, they don't even think to check things out.

I have such a long slow recovery due to sudden and severe hemorrhaging right before surgery and then more during surgery. The Lord only knows what positions they put me in just trying to get that fibroid out vaginally. It was pretty big and I am not. I just know I was terribly sore all over. My ribs will never be the same again. Since I lost all my hormones from sudden weight loss, the bleeding and all, and didn't have a doctor with the knowledge enough to replace them properly, I went for 9 months with nothing. ( All he did was send me to a neurologist/psychiatrist.) I had granulation tissue inside which was extremely painful. He removed this and then I went back a couple weeks later. He did an ultrasound because I still had discomfort and said"See, your uterus is really gone" (Like I didn't know that) He never expressed any sympathy for me - only for my husband having to wait for me to get well enough to.... you know.....Never mind that I had no feeling in my body at all. I had no sensation in my skin and no desire in my mind. I was really a zombie. I had no energy at all. I found out through much prayer and journaling that what my body needed was progesterone - or at least this is where i needed to start.( I kept receiving the word "Baby") I needed other things too, but to get progesterone I needed to change doctors and this is what I did and I began to slowly improve. I have finally gotten many things into balance, but still suffer from memory problems. I don't think as abstractly as I did and can't multitask. It now takes me an hour just to get a meal ready for three people. It used to take me an hour to pack two different lunches.

Being an artist/creative type I was already a little -shall we say-"different". I am now more different than I was before. I still don't really know who I am yet. Things I tolerated before, I just can't seem to deal with now - like conflict for instance. I get really uptight about paying bills (takes me a long time to sort them out). I don't like being in crowds of people where they get too close or move around alot. Makes me want to run away.

I think anytime one is "injured" and does not get nurtured by those around us, it just makes the stress worse and sets us up for more problems. My relationship with my Heavenly Father has gotten more sweet and close because He was the only one who knew how He made me and how to fix what was wrong. He promised me restoration. (His idea of this may be a little different than mine). My husband is pastor of a medium-size church and lots of stress related to some ornery church members also took its toll. There were some difficult things going on during this time. My son (the youngest) was on a mission trip to Thailand right after the surgery. Hard to send your "baby" halfway around the world when you feel good much less when you don't.... Just kept praying and crying out and finally started getting some answers. Having been through one severe depression after the first baby, I didn't want to go there again.

One of the interesting things that has happened is that I say what I think now and although I am polite, I am more direct. Comes from simplified thinking. I have trouble with stammering and trying to find the right words so I tell people that they have to give me time to say things and please do not interrupt me. If they do, I just stop and stare at them till they hush.
Many folks have asked me "When are you going to get well?"
I just say "One day at a time." I have no reserve energy. When I need to stop, I just sit down. I cannot stand for long periods of time. It feels like I will pass out. To top things off, a year ago I got a bad bad case of the shingles. They went all around my middle and up and down my back. They were inside and out. I now have nerve damage from this. This affects the length of time I can hold anything - like can't hold my little grandbabies for more than 5 minutes. I am not able to exercise much because I cannot bend repeatedly. I cannot do my job as a floral designer because you have to hold out your arms to do it. This means I'm a little flabby. I also have to lie down during the day. I never did this before. I have just been put on DHEA to try to boost my energy level some. I also have digestive problems and am trying to learn what to eat and when and how much. Never had this problem before. All I ate for several months after surgery was potato soup. I have the symptoms of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue as well.

I am just trying to bloom where I am planted now. The "blooms" are smaller and maybe not as colorful, but hope is helping me keep going. May God keep helping all of you to keep on keeping on. I am blessed to have a husband who is at least trying to understand. I know some of you don't but, God is husband to those who have none and Father to the fatherless. He made us and knows what we need. He is creative and we are made in His image. He is Creative Solutions R US. Love to all of you. Gail
Unread 08-12-2004, 12:25 AM

gwk,

I don't know if you are on any other hormones besides the progesterone or DHEA, but if not, you may want to look into that. Your cognitive dysfunction reminds me of my own, which lasted almost two years until I got on NHT. When I was put on estrogens, my cognitive abilities immediately improved! It was totally amazing! Since then, as other hormones have been added to my therapy, I feel improvement with each and every one.

Our ovaries manufacture hormones that are used by every part of our bodies. If you still have your ovaries, that doesn't necessarily mean they are working. An endocrinologist can give you a complete hormone workup and in my experience, this was the only doctor who really helped me.

Hugs,
Unread 10-25-2004, 10:28 AM

Hi Sisters...

It's been a while since I've visited the site but this thread caught my interest. I had a hyst in 01'. My right ovary remains. I am glad to of had everything removed. Endo was taking over and the bleeding was severe. The only big drawback is migraines. I get 4-6 per month. I never had them before the hyst. except for the monthly single day headache before each period. My Gyn insists that it is not because of the surgery but I don't see any other reason. I went from the regular cycle headache to massive migraines that sometimes are up to 3 days in length. Any of the doctors that I have seen (ie; gyn, Neuro, GP..) all step away from the "removal of major organ" facts and always point to "it must be a food trigger" give me a break, I never had food triggers before the Hyst.
Well, my Neuro Dr. has been more receptive and I do see him tomorrow so hoping to get some good info.
Recently went through a C5 bulging Disc problem/slight disc herniation. Has anyone with a recent hyst noticing alot of aching in neck/shoulder/upper back? I could just be an isolated incedent.
I would love to hear back from other Migraine sufferers.

After all that, I'm still glad I had a hyst.
Unread 10-26-2004, 12:09 PM

Carlag-

Funny you mentioned the bulging disc thing. After my surgery in nov 03 about 2 months later, I started having pain between my shoulder blades. on my 6 week visit, I mentioned it to my OB/GYN, he told me to see my PCP, I did, had an MRI---4 herniated discs in my neck!
Now I do have lower back problems and have had herniated discs there before and we thought maybe the neck thing was related to work (nurse)....but you have brought up an interesting point :-)
Unread 10-26-2004, 01:02 PM

Marian,

Nice to hear from you. Very interesting to hear your story. For work I do Document control in engineering (just saying that can cause a migraine)
Saw my Nuero Dr. today, does agree that after the Hyst the receptiveness of the one ovary to create estrogen is low or something similar. Most likely when I overcome menopause (42 yrs now) the migraines will cease, til then I will have the migraines. He did say that any type of neck/shoulder muscle strain where the muscle tissue is involved it will enhance migraines.

Carla
Unread 10-26-2004, 01:15 PM
Re: To Chris

Quote:
Originally posted by margie92
Hi Chris,

I'm happy to hear that you have faith and that God is helping you through these difficult times.

Like you, I also regret having the hysterectomy. Mine was a little more than two years ago. It has destroyed my life. The worst thing is, I had nothing wrong with me when I had the surgery. I went to the gynecologist for a routine pap smear/internal exam. He told me I had a fibroid tumor, and he convinced me that my only course of action would be to have it all removed. I had never been to this doctor before--it was my first appointment with him. Boy, did he see me coming!

Keep in mind, I had no symptoms. But I'll tell you, I've had plenty of "symptoms" since the surgery. With many of my health issues, it wasn't apparent to me that the hysterectomy was the cause. I'm talking about pain in my hip, back, legs. And I'm talking about extreme, incapacitating fatigue. I'm also talking about depression. Unbearable depression. And...since my surgery 2 years ago, I've gained 50 pounds!

I used to be an active, vital woman who enjoyed life. Now even I don't recognize "me".

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Margie
Margie, I just had TAH on 10-04-04 & I came to this message board to see how some who had surgeries long ago are doing. I was horrifed to read yours & some others posts. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this & you didn't even need the surgery, <oops! site guidelines don't permit us to discuss legal matters on the boards> I pray for you to once again enjoy life.
jen
Unread 12-23-2004, 04:24 PM

Well here I am again !! Still with regret over this surgery that I had May 24,2002
Not a thing has changed and still wish to this day that I had never had it done !!!
This Has been My worse nightmare !! If only I could co back in time..........not in a million years would I had this God awfull surgery done !!!!!
This is just my opinion but what your body goes through and afterwards is just inhumane, not to mention the surgery its self !!
I would never recomened this to anybody !! This is Horrible !!
No wonder women end up on the Psch Ward !!
I really don't mean to put a damper on things but #1 They definetley do not give you enough information #2 The long term after effects #3 The darn can ruin your life mentally and physcially!! #4 With all due respect to the Hyster-Sister Group (which helped me during pre-op and post -op) (and difinetley no pun intended at all) But I went back and read all of my post and
and then went to the bedtime story section. It made me want to throw up !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maysa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register