should I do an enema? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

should I do an enema? should I do an enema?

Unread 08-12-2004, 04:00 PM
should I do an enema?

Hopefully there is a post-op sister out there that can tell me if given the choice to do an enema or not the night before surgery, would they? Does anyone think it might have helped them not feel constipated after the surgery? Is it a waste of time? My doctor says it's up to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2004, 04:05 PM
should I do an enema?

I had to do a bowel prep with the phospho soda so I didn't do the enema.

But I think cleaning out is good if your dr approves. I think it helps with recovery. Less to strain over, so to speak.

Good luck
Unread 08-12-2004, 04:12 PM
should I do an enema?

Thanks for your reply Woodsie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2004, 04:30 PM
should I do an enema?

Hi, I did the phospa soda as well, my doctor recomended it so that the inside would be as clean as possible for them to work......................good luck
Unread 08-12-2004, 04:43 PM
should I do an enema?

I don't think you should do an enema unless your doctor specifically tells you that you should. I'm rather surprised that he would leave the decision up to you. Some of us have to have a bowel prep because of the particulars of the individuals' surgery. Others, like me, had no need to do bowel prep.

No matter how full or not full the bowel is before surgery, the surgery itself will cause your digestive system to shut down. It will take time for the bowel to return to normal activity, regardless of whether you do any kind of bowel prep or not.

What's more important than what your do prior to surgery is that you need to follow your doctor's orders post-op about taking stool softeners...that is what will make a significant difference in your recovery. Some of the women here choose to eat lightly before surgery, others had a huge feast. Again, the state of your bowel before the surgery will have very little impact on how quickly your digestive system returns to normal. You might want to eat lightly the day before the surgery, make sure you have a bowel movement in the morning all on your own, and then follow your doctor's orders post-op about taking stool softeners.
Unread 08-12-2004, 05:12 PM
should I do an enema?

I had no bowel prep and no problems. I did eat a high fiber diet and take stool softeners. Good Luck!
Unread 08-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Enema or Not ....

I am glad you asked that question. I was wondering the same thing.
Cathy
Unread 08-12-2004, 08:04 PM
should I do an enema?

Hi there

I didn't do a bowel prep or anything, but a nervous tummy the night before my op took care of it all anyway

maribel writes that the digestive system shuts down - mine went into a coma!! (I posted the whole sorry tale just now in reply to ladyliz72's post called 'Home from the Castle...' so I won't repeat it here)

I don't think it makes much difference unless a bowel prep/enema is specifically indicated for the procedure you are having.

Good luck !
Unread 08-13-2004, 01:53 AM
should I do an enema?

The enema will clear your lower colon so that there will be no "accidents" or any immediate postop need to poop. Keep in mind that there are literally miles of intestines in you. Unless a person is having problems, or an oral laxative with an enema, most have a 2-day delay of stool in their colon at all times. Ever eaten highly colored foods....like Oreo cookies or spinach....and noticed that it took a couple of movements (2 days) before you saw it again? So, even if you have an enema the night before surgery, the 1st postop poop you have several days later will probably be what you had for your last full meal preop.....not anything you ate since. Pain meds and anesthesia will slow down your colon, too. SO........I really DO have a point...I'd do the enema the night before, take stool softeners faithfully postop and call the doc if you haven't had a movement by 3-4 days postop. The longer that last meal stays in your sluggish colon, getting dried out with time, the more problems and pain it's going to cause. Kinda gross, but true!
Unread 08-13-2004, 05:10 AM
should I do an enema?

Hi,
I was handed the enema the night before my surgery and asked if I would like to do it myself. - I was getting one - my only choice was whether I applied it myself, or had a nurse to do it.

That being said. The effects were nul!! However, maybe I didn't apply it correctly!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register