Set a date and am scared to death! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Set a date and am scared to death! Set a date and am scared to death!

Unread 08-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Set a date and am scared to death!

My GYN called today and said Sept.20th is the day! I am so nervous and mostly just scared.I have the pain med. reaction to deal with and the Doc. seemed a bit nervous about that himself. My other worry is will I be pretty much back to normal by the holidays? He wouldn't do the LSH but agreed to do a supracervical through the abdomen. He said the other way was to cutting edge still ,although in 10 years they would all probably be doing it. So I tried really hard but will do it his way... At least I get to keep my cervix and ovaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2004, 05:27 PM

Sounds like your nerves are like almost everyone else here. The day I got "the date" I almost fell apart. Then I managed to worry and be nervous almost every day until the day of surgery. Of course, the worries did no good whatsoever, but I just couldn't seem to help it. Strangly enough, the day of surgery, I was perfectly calm all morning. Calmer than I had been since the day they had set my date.

Try to keep your mind busy with other things. But that won't work all the time, so just let yourself be nervous. I am 9 days post op and doing just fine. No major problems at all and all of my "what if" scenarios didn't pan out to be true.
Susan
Unread 08-12-2004, 08:30 PM

Hello skygazer,

I think I was relieved too, as well as a bit scared when I got my date, I'd been putting it off for 4 years. I had to wait just over 3 weeks to the op, and it crawled by...

Now it is all over, it is worth it ! and like Susan, I had a thousand 'what ifs' that never happened.

Good luck !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2004, 01:32 AM

Even though I am an RN (...OR, maybe because I am an RN?!), I was scared to death looking that date in the face. My logical brain was really having to fight the emotional side! The most helpful thing I could do was to keep myself BUSY with preparations...getting the house cleaned, yard ready for Spring, my hair colored and cut, car serviced, lining up the financial situation, etc.......it almost felt like I was getting ready to die. Will have to admit, I was also irrationally (secretly, of course) afraid of THAT. Had never had surgery before. I drove everyone nuts at work fretting over it. Well.....all I can say is that the anticipation was much worse than afterwards.....I guess because once the deed was done, it was easier to concentrate on "surviving" the aftermath--come what may--than waiting for it to happen. I only wish I'd had this done MANY years ago!!! And, all that preparing I did to keep myself busy.........well, it left me in the most organized shape I've been in for years. Nothing like a little panic to light a fire under my butt! Lots of ladies here for you.....day AND night
Unread 08-13-2004, 09:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies,they do help and I will just stay busy as a bee and think on other things...like my sweet grandboy who I babysit while Mom works!I will miss him while recovering for sure!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register