concerned | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-12-2004, 02:25 PM
concerned

i have been bleeding after intercourse and spotting between periods for the last two months. Also my periods are heavier and very very red!. i had loop diathermy in april this year for severe cell changes. i have been to the gp who has refered me to my gyn dr. i have had to wait 10 weeks for my appointment on 6 sept. i am really worried. has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2004, 08:34 PM
concerned

If I ever had to wait 10 weeks for an appointment, I would have definately found another doctor.

Obviously this is of concern and importance to you and I feel you should have been looked at sooner.

Glad that you are finally going to see a gynecologist though.

Rosalie
Unread 08-12-2004, 10:56 PM
concerned

Julie,
With symptoms like these, do not wait 10 weeks to see a gyn. Make an appointment with another gyn. Or skip that appointment completely and take all of your records to a gyn/oncologist. The doctor you were referred to should be seeing you right away since you symptoms might indicate cervical cancer or uterine cancer. Of course it could be other things causing your problems but with those symptoms no doctor should be making you wait for 10 weeks! Get another doctor.

When did you last see a gyn? when was your last pap smear?

Call your doctor and ask for the name of a gyn/oncologist and make an appointment. Even if you have to pay for that appointment, it's worth it for your physical health and your mental health.

Hugs and comfort,
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2004, 01:24 AM
concerned

Hi Julie, I'm with Denton. I had to see a gyn/onc and was seen in 2 weeks. Either have your GP push it through, or go see an gyn/onc. Get the first available appointment and ask to be called for a cancellation. This one size fits all, cookie cutter approach to medicine, scheduled by people with no knowledge of the potential seriousness of the problem drives me crazy! I've worked in health care all my life and I swear if you don't have an advocate, or advocate for yourself, you're at a real disadvantage. Good luck and get on it tomorrow. Cheri
Unread 08-13-2004, 09:39 AM
concerned

first of all thankyou all for replying to my post i was sooo pleased to answer your questions i last saw my gyn dr in April when i had the treatment for cin3 i am due for another smear in October. i was beginning to think i was becoming a bit neurotic about it as they dont seem in any rush to see me and i keep telling myself its probably nothing serious. But i am going to ring them to see if i can get in any sooner. its nice not to feel so alone. xx
Unread 08-14-2004, 10:03 PM
concerned

Julie,

I agree that you should definitely get in to see a doctor in the next couple weeks. Although your problems could be related to cervical cancer, they could also be related to you not completely healing from the LEEP (so get this taken care of but try not to jump to reallly bad conclusions). I can't say that I had bleeding after my LEEP but I waited 9 weeks to have intercourse. One thing I can say is that my periods have changed (although mine have gotten much lighter with almost no blood). I don't think it is all that uncommon to have changes in menses after a LEEP.

I also completely agree that you have to take your health into your own hands. After I was diagnosed with CIS and told that it was fine for me to wait 8 weeks for a LEEP, I decided I needed to take some action. My best friend is a doctor and she told me that a patient that complains or asks a bunch of questions gets an earlier appointment because the doctors and nurses don't want to deal with it. So, that is what I did - I called three times a day for 4 days. It resulted in my LEEP being moved up 7 weeks.
Unread 08-15-2004, 07:39 AM
concerned

Julie,

I see that you are in the UK....is the medical system there the reason for the delay in getting an appointment?

At any rate....I'd make as much noise as I could, to get an earlier date for a checkup. The symptoms may turn out not to be cause for alarm---but it'd be nice to know that as soon as possible! And if there's any problem brewing, you need to know that, too, and get it rectified.

Keep us informed.

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 08-16-2004, 01:30 PM
concerned

hi
i only had to wait 4 weeks for my colposcopy but when i was offered this appointment they said it was the first available one.
i was under the impression that i had to go for another colposcopy but its justa normal outpatients app. i think they do their best over here but the health service is so overloaded, but that doesnt help those of us who have to wait so long for appointments. its all done differently where you are isnt it?

to be honest i am seriously thinking of a hysterectomy as the worry and waiting is too much but i am terrified at the thought of it
thanx for taking the time to reply xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register