How Can Family And Friends Help Me After Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Can Family And Friends Help Me After Surgery How Can Family And Friends Help Me After Surgery

Unread 08-16-2004, 09:15 AM
How Can Family And Friends Help Me After Surgery

Hey Ladies,
I need help. My friends are asking me how they can help after surgery. Because I haven’t gone through this I am unable to tell them what I need.

Sisters I need help! Let me know what I can tell them

Poo Bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2004, 09:32 AM

Hi,

Here are some suggestions for ways friends can help (if they're truly sincere with their offers.)

First, suggest that they don't come visit in the hospital for a few days. The last thing you'll want right after surgery is to have to entertain. The last day that you're in, you may be up to visitors, but earlier than that you may be too out of it to give them your full attention.

I'm not sure of your situation, will you have family to help out during recovery? If not, then if your friends can call or stop by for the first few days to check on you and help with any household chores or shopping that may need to be done, that would be great. If you're alone, you should also have someone with you when you shower for the first few times.

Friends can also help out by bringing food for you and your family. Perhaps they can make casseroles which can be frozen and reheated, or can bring by take-out food for a week or so.

The best way friends can help is by just being there for you when you need them - whatever those needs may be.

Best wishes on your surgery and s,

Lisa
Unread 08-16-2004, 09:38 AM

Something nice that my neighbors did for me was arrange dinner brought over by someone every evening the first week I was home. Even tho I didn't have much of an appetite at first it sure was nice. They could bring over your favorite foods. I craved "comfort food" like chicken noodle soup, things that were bland, not too spicy. Friends also brought over two huge baskets filled with snacks (individual servings of pudding, applesauce, hard candies, cookies, chips ) reading material (books, magazines) Easy to fix foods, like single serving soups, etc. , cross stitch, crossword puzzle book. It was wonderful. Also they offered to run errands for me if I needed something.....DH was great so I didn't really need anything, but it sure was nice to know they were there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2004, 10:16 AM

Ladies,
My DH will be coming and going with work and friends are willing to do anything. They keep asking and I don't know what to say. Didn't think about the shower. Thanks.

As for food, I have decided to eat lightly. Fruits and vegetables with min. meats.

Pooh Bear
Unread 08-16-2004, 10:29 AM

ask them to bring meals everyday, even if it from taco bell, you husband should be able to focus on taking care of you when he gets home form work, not making food for both of you.,

also if you need meds picked up, food, any errands you normally do, while they are out.

after 2 weeks or so you are really going to start going nuts in the house, so ask them to come over and visit( but one such good friends that you feel like you do not have to entertain)
Unread 08-16-2004, 10:38 AM

During the two weeks are you mobile?
Unread 08-16-2004, 10:42 AM

My DH has been great! He is the only one helping me!
Having him having him to help me get in and out shower for the first few days was great! He even shaved my legs! And touched up the polish on my toe nails! (There have been a lot of first around here!!) He basically makes sure I have everything I may need before he goes to work. He had to go to work 5 minutes after I came home from the Castle. But, I had everything so I was okay. The hardest thing the first day was getting out of bed by myself. And of course the dog kept barking all day to go out!! Go figure!

I have found that there is more gravity since my surgery! Everything falls on the floor. So the most helpful thing I bought is one of those grabber things (Walmart had them for $10). I would be lost with out my grabber when I am alone.
Unread 08-16-2004, 10:53 AM

Melba,
What a wonderful DH.

Poo Bear
Unread 08-16-2004, 10:54 AM

Food food food! Get them to bring you some meals. When I broke my arm, so many people brought food that DH didn't have to even think about cooking for two weeks. It really helped. With my hyster, my aunt and Mom fed us for the first week. Then I asked DH to take a little more time off work to be with me and I think it made my mom mad because after that, she wouldn't come over without a specific invitation and she hasn't brought any more food. I feel bad for DH because he truly hates shopping and cooking, and he's had to do quite a bit of it.
Unread 08-16-2004, 11:00 AM

Astarte,
You are lucky, because your Mom was there. My Mom is not coming for my surgery, which makes me sad.

Poo Bear

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register