Severe headache with orgasm | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe headache with orgasm Severe headache with orgasm

Unread 08-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Severe headache with orgasm

I had a hysterectomy in 1988. I've been on HRT for years. I switched doctors and he put me on Vivelle dot patch 2 x week. He also put me on Estratest 5 x week. I've been feeling great since January. No hot flashes, sleeping like a baby, normal libido
. I had reconstructive vaginal surgery and TVT bladder surgery 7 weeks ago. First time to have intercourse since surgery was 1 week ago. Developed a severe headache with orgasm which lasted about 30 minutes. Then it turned into a dull headache for 2 or 3 days. Same thing happened 2 days ago. Could this be from too much Estratest? It felt like my head was going to explode. Very, very scary. I am 49 years old. Has anyone had this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2004, 12:37 PM

Please phone your doctor's office about this or make an appointment to be seen. I would not do anything to cause an orgasm until I saw my doctor, if I were experiencing this symptom.

We should report any new negative side effect to our doctors.

Let us know what your doctor says!

In the meantime,
Unread 08-18-2004, 05:21 AM
it's ok

My dear partner (male) actually used to get them - it has a medical term.

The doc should be able to give u medication (tablets) to take just before sex so u won't have the headache.

They do stop eventually though they can come back again for a short term. He had it about 12 times over a time of 6 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2004, 02:03 PM

Thank you "Michelle35" and "My Sweet". I called my OB/GYN and talked with him. He had never heard of this so he called a neurologist friend who said these headaches are quite common and that they should go away in about a month. However, he did want me to have an MRI of my head which I will have tomorrow. I am still a little concerned, because my head has hurt for the past 9 days. I am eating Tylenol like candy. My husband is still afraid to touch me because he thinks I'm going to have a stroke. I guess I'll find out something tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Unread 08-20-2004, 07:06 AM

Migraine with orgasm is fairly common.
But these sound severe! I'm glad you're getting the MRI.

I noted that you're taking Tylenol, but my doctor always recommended ibuprofen for a migraine. I found it was much more effective. Migraines are about blood vessels dilating and constricting and ibuprofen affects that while Tylenol does not. So if you can take ibuprofen, that might be a better pain killer to try.

Orgasm also involves blood vessels (and I think nitric oxide in teh blood which involves dilation) so that's why some women have the unfortunate connection.
Unread 08-25-2004, 07:12 PM

Hope your mri went well. Please let us know if it went okay. I had one (not for your reasons though), it was fine. I do wonder how much Estratest you're taking, and I think it is possible it could be too much. I also had problems with
too much Estratest as well that seemed in part at least neurological (it was nerves/muscle)and involved some unpleasant spontaneous involuntary side effects (not physical like hair/skin) no physical contact needed, no conscious thought triggers. I only need a tad of it each day, and the rest of the hrt comes from estrogen and progesterone. Good luck.
Unread 08-25-2004, 10:41 PM

Hi there, I've been lurking for a couple of days, but just had to reply. I also get these headaches. My doctor calls mine coital or exhertional headaches. Most everyone hit the nail on the head, (pardon the pun) they have to do with blood vessels, and the like, but there is no known cure, only treatment for the symptoms. I had an MRI to rule out anyurisms, and it came back clean. I was told not to do anything to cause a sudden rise in blood pressure, (yeah, that's gonna happen!) and that they are annoying but not dangerous.

Hope you feel better soon.
Aurora
Unread 08-28-2004, 08:14 AM

My MRI came back negative. I was glad to find out that, yes, I do have a brain. My doctor wrote me a prescription for Imitrex, a migraine medicine, in case I need it. Apparently these "benign coital/exertional headaches" are quite common, but they sure scared me to death. My doctor sent me some literature he got from a neurologist. It appears they are most common in people who have a history of migraines. I had severe migraines from about age 10 through my early 20s. I take 5 Estratest (green ones) per week. I wondered if perhaps I was getting too much testosterone, but from everything I have read, I think everything is okay. There is such a fine balance with these hormones. I hope I have hit upon the right combination. I sure appreciate everyone's feedback/concerns! Thanks so very much!
Unread 08-30-2004, 03:02 AM

Estratest comes in 2 different strengths and both are green. The full strength is dark green with 1.25 estrogen 2.5 testosteron and the hs is half strenght which is light green and is .625 estrogen and 1.25 testosterone. I am guessing that the doctor gave you the half strength just because he added it to the v-dot. You might be getting a bit more of a build up of the testosterone. Perhaps try gradually tapering down to perhaps 3 a week and see if they get less frequent.
Unread 08-30-2004, 04:07 AM

Sorry - I thought u only got the headache when u had an 'o'.

Because I have granulation the local doc gave me estrogen creme to insert vaginally - the instructions on the box said twice a week - but the doc told me to use it twice a day for the first three days then every second night - I got a headache one night in the middle of the night - I NEVER ever get headahches normally.

When I woke up with the headache in the middle of the night I thought maybe it was because I had too much estrogen in my system. The headache was only on the right side of my head which was weird.

Since I've dropped back to using the estrogen twice a week - no further headaches. Maybe it is the estrogen?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register