Hot flashes years after a Total Surgical Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hot flashes years after a Total Surgical Hysterectomy Hot flashes years after a Total Surgical Hysterectomy

Unread 12-10-2000, 12:55 AM
Hot flashes years after a Total Surgical Hysterectomy

Has anyone had hot flashes years after a Total Surgical Hysterectomy? Prior to my surgery I was having night sweats, etc. I'm 48 years old now, had surgery 4 years ago this month and have been fine till now. All of a sudden night sweats and other symptoms of menopause are happening again. Remember,I had a TOTAL hysterectomey. I'm not on any HRT. How can this be happening???? HELP....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2000, 02:09 PM

Hi Deb,
I'm a bit confused and the terms the docs use can be a bit confusing too! Usually a total hysterectomy means taking cervix and uterus. A total hyst with bilateral salpingo oopherectomy means the same but they also took your ovaries, meaning you would go into surgical menopause immediately.Is that what you are saying that they took your ovaries and you went through an adjustment period and for some reason couldn't take HRT? And now it's happening again?
Unread 12-10-2000, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lily
Hi Deb,
I'm a bit confused and the terms the docs use can be a bit confusing too! Usually a total hysterectomy means taking cervix and uterus. A total hyst with bilateral salpingo oopherectomy means the same but they also took your ovaries, meaning you would go into surgical menopause immediately.Is that what you are saying that they took your ovaries and you went through an adjustment period and for some reason couldn't take HRT? And now it's happening again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2000, 06:23 PM

Lily,
Your Confused....How do you think I feel??? ;o) Actually your not confused. You understood perfectly what I was saying. I was in a menopausal state when I had my surgery. My Ovaries, Tubes and Uterus were removed. Thus putting me into "Surgical Menopause". I did HRT only for the first 6 months post op.,but didn't like the side effects(ex: weight gain, bloating). So, I stopped my HRT and have been fine since then. Until now! Here I am, 4 years post op. and beginning to feel like I'm going into a menopausal state (night sweats,chills)AGAIN! This can't be possible....can it? Can this be happening without ovaries? Does HRT prevent these symptoms from happening even though I don't have ovaries? I'm so confussed! I haven't found any infomation regarding a Post Op.Surgical Menopause without HRT and the side effects there of. Anyway, my response to your questions is "YES". Got any ideas??????
Unread 12-10-2000, 06:49 PM

Whooooooooooohaaaaaaaaaaa! Lucky gues on my part I haven't heard of it happening but I guess it's possible. What happens is that the adrenal glands in some women can convert hormones and if you had no symptoms then it's possible that's what your body has been doing. Also losing weight or gaining it can have a bearing on how much estrogen we store. Thinner women can't store as much. So if you lost a lot of weight recently that could explain it possibly. It could also be a problem with testosterone - that will give you hot flushes. The adrenals may have been converting it to estrogen and now they are not doing that as effectively.
I'm thinking that you should have your thyroid tested as some symtoms of menopause are very very similar to a thyroid condition, common amongst us menopausal women anyway. By thyroid I mean not just TSH, but T3 and T4 as well to get a true picture.
What estrogen did you try before? There are many choices not just Premarin or Estratest. The more natural ones seem to suit us better and have less side effects. I guess you realise that surgical menopause is totally different from 'natural' menopause. In natural menopause your ovaries still produce small amounts of hormones which contribute to your overall health. With surgical menopause HRT is advisable to help prevent serious disease processes, heart disease, osteoporosis, etc. It really is beneficial in the long term to try and find a HRT that suits. Without ovaries the benefits outweigh the risks.
Hope this helps.
Unread 12-10-2000, 11:07 PM
Post Surgical Menopause w/ Sweats

It's me again. *You seem to be quite knowledgeable in this arena. *I just had a physical and had a Thyroid panel done among other blood test which were all fine. (I also had 90% of my Thyroid removed about 27 years ago.) However, I have gained about 15-20 lbs. in the last 6 months and my Cholesterol level was high. Well, I will be finishing my physical next week and maybe will have some answers. *I will be having my annual mamo and a bone density test done as well. Premarin is what I took. I'll be starting a regime of HRT by January, I don't have a choice, I just don't know what my options are. Do you know if Doctors in general are in favor of Natural Hormones? The funny part is I asked the Dr. to check my hormone level and was told it was a waste of money. She said it's obvious that my estrogen and serentonin(sp)levels are low being post surgical menopausal and not using HRT. She wants me to wait till all the results are in before she considers doing further testing. In the mean time, I'll just sweat to death. I'll laugh if I have too much Testosterone! Thanks for your input.
Unread 12-11-2000, 02:10 PM

Hi Deb,
Well that narrows it down a bit, it's good you are having the full physical done. For info on the different estrogens available and whether they are natural or not go to:
http://www.hormonejungle.com/
The drop down box on RH side gives a lot of info, so you will be well armed.
Premarin is notorious for side effects, probably the worst of the lot but because it's been around so long a lot of docs are reluctant or uneducated and they stick to it.
If there is a compounding pharmacist in your area it would be worth seeing them (or seeking one out)and asking which docs are prescribing the naturals. The pharmacists are the best judge of who's up on what. It will save you a lot of time in the long run and probably a lot of bad side effects too! Good luck - and think yourself lucky that your not over here (Australia) at the moment - after a cold winter we are sweltering Turn up that air conditioner Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register