Pain getting worse, one week post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain getting worse, one week post-op Pain getting worse, one week post-op

Unread 08-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Pain getting worse, one week post-op

Can anyone give some insight? Surg was 8/10. Since 8/14 and through today, the pain has become worse. It is particularly one-sided, burning/searing type. It can be controlled when I don't move at all. I don't think it is well controlled with the pain meds. I am taking Vicodin 5/500 (one) about every 6 hours. I took one 2 hours ago, lay down and kept still for 45 min. I feel like I need another, the pain is still 7-8 with movement. I am also taking ibuprofen every 12 hours. I cut it back today to 600mg from 800mg in the hosp. I don't want to take too much pain meds. I feel that I am really pacing myself as far as activity goes. I am laying down 2 times a day and sleeping about 10-11 hours at night. My belly is swollen and bruised. Gas is manageable and movements are soft. I have been ok, doing fine, but feel like today it is all too much. I read about others that breezed through this,,,I am also doing ok, but I don't like the pain! Feeling a little desperate here! I would like some thoughts, I don't want to call the doc, I see her on Wed, and she will say take more pills. Should I just do that until it is under control?? Thanks, sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2004, 09:25 PM

I would call the doc.. That is what they are there for... Remeber the old saying No pain no gain.. .Well that isn't true.. Pain means something is wrong.. Warning lights and all.. Please call and see if it is normal no foul... But if not then you can get help....

Debbie
Unread 08-16-2004, 09:27 PM

sorry to say this but i agree with debbie call your doc i hate to bother them with little things too but there is something wrong and you need to be seen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2004, 09:41 PM

I agree with the other sisters - Please call the dr. The burning pain could be a sign of something being wrong - especially if it keeps up. My dr encouraged me to call no matter what if I needed them - someone is always on call.

Please call the dr - it is an important step in taking care of yourself.

Good luck,
Sallie
Unread 08-16-2004, 10:50 PM

Definately call your doc, you want to make sure that you didn't pull an internal stich or something, which is possible, and pain is always a sign of something, your pain should be getting better not worse, unless of course you ran a marathon today, don't wait, just call.

Kell
Unread 08-16-2004, 11:58 PM

Hi,

Pain is your body trying to tell you something's not right. You may be doing too much too soon. All you should be doing at this point is resting, drinking lots of water, and taking short walks. I don't think that lying down just twice a day is enough. Sitting for long periods of time can put a lot of internal pressure on your healing sutures and tissues, causing a lot of pain. Sitting should be limited to 15 to 20 minutes for the first few weeks.

Also, as the effects of the anesthesia and the pain meds wear off, and as the nerves start waking up, you may start "feeling" your surgery more. Be sure to take your pain meds as ordered. You're very early in the recovery process and it's important to stay ahead of the pain. If you wait too long, the pain is harder to control. Don't be afraid to take the pain meds. Your body will heal much faster if it's not having to deal with pain.

Yes, there are others who may have breezed through recovery, but everyone heals differently. It's important not to compare your recovery to other's. A fast recovery is great, but a permanent one is even better. It's more important to heal right the first time than it is to heal faster than anyone else. You only get one chance to heal, and this is it.

Here's a list of do's and don'ts to help remind you to pamper the

Allowed, Not Allowed – Click Here

Definitely give your doctor a call. Any new or unusual pain or symptoms should be checked out.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

s,

Lisa
Unread 08-17-2004, 12:30 AM

i had a few sharp pains that scared me and i did call me dr, and he said that it was not to worry all i needed to do was up my pain meds. i felt so much better having asked. your dr gets paid the big bucks, there is nothing wrong with calling him and asking a question, tha tis what he is there for.
Unread 08-17-2004, 12:33 AM

i agree with the post saying you may be doing too much. the first week, i was counting the number of times i got up, not the number of times i lay down! i just tried to walk a little every hour or so during the day. i didn't start increasing activity until the next week. please give your doc a call. the pain may be "normal" for overdoing things, but you may need to be looked at to make sure everything is all right. try to pamper yourself some. good luck! dee
Unread 08-17-2004, 08:55 AM

Call your doctor, you may have an infection. Although I have told my doctor he need to tell all his patients in pre op "it gets worse, before it gets better.
Unread 08-18-2004, 11:29 PM
thanks so much

Thank you so much for the support. Today I think I turned "a" corner...(not "the" corner, as I realize there are many more turns out there)...
My doc said to take the pain meds and don't be uncomfortable. I went back to about every 4 hours and the full dose of ibuprofen, which actually seems to be the most effective. I felt better and woke this morning with much less pain. I also received my "swelly belly" yesterday afternoon, and it has been sooooo soothing...I highly recommend the cold treatment!
My doc said that recovery is not a straight line, and I realized I will have good and bad days....the bottom line is listen to your body!
Talking to my doc was reassuring, if for no other reason than to let me know that I was right in needing more/better pain control. I am taking it easy. I have not yet gone on an "outside" walk.
Thanks tons!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register