Vertical or Horizontal Incision??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vertical or Horizontal Incision??? Vertical or Horizontal Incision???

Unread 08-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Vertical or Horizontal Incision???

Hi Everyone, I've been reading the forums for awhile now, but just decided to ask my own question. I will be having my total hysterectomy on the 23rd. I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m., I am getting nervous. I am overweight in my belly area and am wondering if the type of incision makes a difference. I love this site. I've learned so much. This is my first major surgery and I am more than a little scared. I am also going in Thursday to have a scan for my gall bladder, dr. thinks it may need to come out in the "near" future. Down to eating dry toast and "oodles of noodles". I feel like I'm falling apart!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2004, 09:58 PM

jdawn,

From what I've read, I don't think there's much difference in healing between vertical and horizontal incisions. I have a bikini cut that followed the scar from previous c-sections.

The type of incision usually depends on the doctor and what kind of work you will be having done.

For "falling apart," you sound pretty calm. Hang in there. Everything they say about the waiting being the worst part is true!

s
Cat
Unread 08-17-2004, 10:24 PM

I have done a lot of research on incisions because one doctor I went to said I would need to have a vertical incision and this bothered me. Luckily I ended up finding a doctor who did a horizontal incision, and I was very pleased. I even read medical school textbooks about this subject!
Horizontal incisions are better because they are stronger incisions. The reason is that they actually start by cutting you horizontally, but then they cut through other layers vertically inside, and they alternate directions of the cuts. This way they don't cut all the way through with one cut, so it's more secure. With a vertical incision, they cut all the way through with one cut so there's more chance of the incision coming undone. One medical textbook said that horizontal incisions are 30 times stronger than vertical incisions.
All this being said, sometimes they need to use vertical incisions for some procedures and these incisions are still usually fine. I hope this is helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2004, 03:30 PM

Hello, Jen and

It won't be long until you enter the Castle to begin your journey to good health. Please remember that the most important thing is not whether you have a horizontal or vertical incision -- it's that the surgery goes well and is complication-free. The "best" type of incision is the one that's right for you, based on your unique needs.

Best Wishes and Many s to You!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register