Listen to your body.......Up coming Incisional Hernia Repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Listen to your body.......Up coming Incisional Hernia Repair Listen to your body.......Up coming Incisional Hernia Repair

Unread 08-18-2004, 04:28 PM
Listen to your body.......Up coming Incisional Hernia Repair

Listen to your body and if something doesn't feel right, PLEASE go see your doctor.

I thought my aches and pains were normal and that I was still healing. I also thought
I was still experiencing that dreaded "swelly belly" and that I just had to accept that
my stomach was now lopsided. Then, I realized I had this huge bulge………hmmm
could this be a HERNIA????

I'm 4 months post-op and scheduled for an incisional hernia repair next Friday.
My incision will be reopened and a mesh will be placed in my abdomen.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience with you all and to remind everyone
not to ignore symptoms that don't seem normal. All of our bodies do heal differently
and what may be one's symptoms/diagnosis doesn't necessary mean it's yours.

I would love to hear from anyone that has had any experiences with an incisional hernia repair.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2004, 04:47 PM

Hi there,

Sorry you are having so many problems! I had an incisional hernia after a laproscopic appendectomy in November. I had my incision at the top of my belly button reopened and made bigger and a mesh patch put in place. Couldn't lift anything over 10 lbs for 4 weeks, but that was about the only restriction. I was home the same day.

Good luck
Unread 08-18-2004, 04:52 PM
hi

wow I am sorry too hear you have to go through .With that. Do you work?How long will you be off?If any.Take care.I will be thinking about you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2004, 05:27 PM

Been there....done that.....

I had an incisional hernia after I had emergency surgery for bowel obstruction. My surgeon repaired it the first time without mesh, and I developed another hernia soon afterwards, so he put mesh in during a second surgery. He was supposed to do it the first time but said my tissues "looked so good". I don't trust his judgement anymore, so I had his partner assist my gyn with the hyst instead of him.

As to what to expect: After the expected post-surgical pain wore off, I had milder sort of prickly pain for quite a while. This was the only surgery where I had a drain put in. The doc didn't warn me about that, so that was a rather unpleasant surprise. I have to say that I was surprised at how long the milder pain lasted, but considering how many stitches they needed to put in the mesh, I guess it makes sense. When I finally healed, I felt great! I am glad I had it done, and when they did the hyst, they just sewed up the incision in the mesh again. I guess I have bionic abs!

Be prepared to take it easy for quite a while if the incision is large. And don't blame yourself. Sometimes, your body just doesn't heal as well as you would like.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Best of luck to you!
Nan
Unread 08-18-2004, 10:55 PM
who-me

Was just wondering did you experience any pain with your hernia?

Thanks,
Mel
Unread 08-19-2004, 07:59 AM
valjosmel

Hi Mel,

I really haven't been experiencing pain, but more of a discomfort. On a normal day, I feel a fullness in my stomach. I can't stand for a long period of time because then I'll get really uncomfortable. I had a very busy weekend a few weeks ago. I was on my feet that entire Saturday and I was SO uncomfortable. I found myself HOLDING my stomach. The next day, I WAS hurting...........a soreness feeling.

I've read that some hernias can cause symptoms of pain and/or a bulge in the region of the hernia defect. In addition, as the hernia enlarges, they become more prone to complications (Incarceration and Strangulation) as intestine may become entrapped within the hernia. Then an emergency surgery may be required.

My doctor told me that my hernia was so large that he wasn't concerned about incarceration.

Most of my clothes are tight fitting and I can't wear them right now because of the "bulge" in my stomach. I bought a few elastic waistband outfits to wear until after surgery.

Hope this helps!
Unread 08-20-2004, 07:06 PM

Your email caught my attention. I am approximately 8 weeks out from my partial hysterectomy and have been having unusual pains in my navel area.

When I went for my 4 week checkup, my doctor told me he thought I may have a hernia or that the pain in my navel may be a result of muscle strain. He told me to check back with him in a few weeks if it wasn't better. Although the pain is a bit better now, if I do too much the uncomfortable feeling in my navel returns.

The best way I can describe it is that it feels like someone is trying to poke through my belly button from the inside out. I also continue to have quite a bit of swelling in my belly. How long does it take for the swelling to go away?

Were your symptoms anything like this? I'm sorry I can't help you with any hernia operation advice but thought you might not mind letting me know if any of this sounds familiar to you.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.
Unread 08-20-2004, 08:21 PM
I might be a hernia expert!

I couldn't believe someone was asking about hernias. I had a TAH left SO 10 days ago with a hernia repair with mesh.

I had abdominal surgery 9 years ago after a hemmoraghic ovarian cyst absessed and ruptured while undergoing a laparoscopy. My GYN then did an abdominal incision to remove my right ovary and tube.

A year later, I noticed a bulge along the left side of my incision. My family doctor sent me to see a surgeon who said I had an incisional hernia.

At the time of my hernia surgery, I was 40 years old. The surgeon said I really should have mesh put in but he wouldn't use mesh unless I had a hysterectomy. He said if I ever had a hysterectomy or became pregnant the mesh would be a complication. So I had the hernia repair without mesh.

I noticed a slight bulge about two years after that but ignored it. It grew and grew and I knew it was a hernia. My family doctors and GYN noticed it but I didn't want a hysterectomy.

After waiting years for a relationship and babies that never came, I knew I needed something done. The bulge on my left side was huge. I couldn't find many underwear that fit and had to special order pantihose that were at least 4 sizes too big to go over the lump. I had to wear long tunics to cover it.

When I had a failed endometrial ablation last year and my GYN was worried about endometrial cancer because my lining was so thick, I said yes to a hysterectomy. However, I insisted on getting the hernia repair at the same time to have one incision and one recovery.

I ended up with a new GYN and a new surgeon who agreed to work together and share their "turf." My surgeon said my actual hernia was on the orginal incision line (which he reopened for this surgery) in the front but my intestines came out through that and were lying on my left side just under the skin. I was in a very dangerous situation.

So my advice to you is RUN! Get the incisional hernia repair. Do not wait for complications. I had two major surgeries at the same time. Actually, I am recovering well from the hysterectomy but I was sent home witn two drains because of the hernia. Where my intestines sat under the skin had it's own circulation and it needs to drain. I have a drain under the mesh because I have so much fluid in that area.]

Please take care of yourself. By the way, this surgeon said I could have had the mesh when I had the first hernia repair. He said mesh can complicate pregancy and further abdominal surgery but I can be handled.

Karen
Unread 08-21-2004, 06:47 PM

All of these posts seem so familiar. I had a TAH in December and with the exception of my side I feel great. I have what looks like a tube running along my left side towards my groin. My regular doctor wanted me to see my gyn and my gyn wanted me to see my regular doctor. Finally this week I told my gyn that I was feeling great except that I am really sick of the pain in my side. After an exam she thinks that I either have a small hernia or a torn muscle. She suggested accupuncture. Two accupuncture treatments this week and I feel like I have been treated by a prize fighter.
I am really not an alarmist, I really don't like to complain about the pain, but I am tired for my stomach swelling up all of the time. I am down to 1 pair of pants that fit and although I have gained a few pounds, it is not enough to justify my new size.
Has anyone ever hear about accupuncture for this kind of problem. I really like my gyn, but it seems like a test other than just poking me might be a better idea.
Unread 08-21-2004, 09:43 PM

Can your regular doctor refer you to a general surgeon? There is probably one who has experience in hernia diagnosis and repair in your area. Sounds like another opinion might be helpful.

Hope you can find both answers and relief-
Nan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register