Did I make the right decision HELP!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did I make the right decision HELP!!!! Did I make the right decision HELP!!!!

Unread 08-19-2004, 05:23 AM
Did I make the right decision HELP!!!!

This is the hardest decision I have ever had to make. Being 37 and getting a hyst with ovaries being removed is scary. Does anyone know if hemorrhagic cysts can turn into cancer? These were my options. I have had heavy, painfull periods for three years now. Along with this I have had problems with cysts on my ovaries. The cysts have usually been nothing to worry about. But in April they were no longer just simple cysts but hemorrhagic cysts. Followed up in two months and the cysts were still there and bigger. My doc said this is not normal as they should go away at each new cycle. My options were to go on the BC pill and see if it takes the cysts away and helps with the periods. Oh by the way he thinks I have endometrioses also. Or my other option was to have a hysterectomy. I have decided to have the hysterectomy due to my elevated CA125 and the breast and ovarian cancer in my family. Am I being silly. I read the post op messages and they are all miserable. Tired all the time, pain when urinating, aches. My periods are manageable with pain pills although I have the bleed throughs. My cysts do not hurt me. Am I putting myself in worse condition than what I am in already? Anyone willing to give me there opinion on what they would do if they were me. I know this was my decision but I am hoping I made the right one. Pleeaasse respond someone with an opinion. All my friends say take it all out. I already had my kids and the risk of cancer is too great for me. Help!!!!

concerned and know getting confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2004, 07:02 AM

Hi auntem!
I just wanted to say in my humble opinion you made the right choice.
I had a hysterectomy last year due to a fibroid which was SO big it was pulling my uterus down onto my rectum (sorry, little graphic!) and I could no longer have a "normal" BM. I was feeling sick ALL the time, heavy bleeding and panic attacks. I also dealt with colposcopys for 8 long years to keep on top of cervical dysplasia, 3 laser surgeries on the cervix to remove pre-cancerous cells and years of major worrying "IS it gonna turn to cancer one day?"
Since my hyst, I can honestly say that I really Do feel SOOO much better! I did keep ovaries though! And The hyst itself wasn't all that bad. I was 40. Yes I was sore at first (abdominal hyst) and even now the scar is still a little numb but NOTHING I can't deal with. Waiting truly was the absolute worst part!! I swear!!! Yes, you feel tired at first but nothing was so terrible that you couldn't get through it.
I think I wouid rather feel good and know that the risk of cancer is gone than to worry and feel like crap forever!
Hope I've helped a little and good luck with it all! I'll be thinking about you and when all is said and done I think you'll know you made the right decision!
Sue
Unread 08-19-2004, 07:42 AM
Thank You

I want to say thank your for responding. It has been really tough but the support here on this side has been wonderfull.

Thanks again.
What would I do without the ladies of hyster sisters by my side.
Your the best.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2004, 08:21 AM

Anytime you have doubts, a second opinion might be a good idea. Consider seeing another doctor if you think there might be other options that your current doctor did not give you.

We are about the same age. I have been able to keep my ovaries, but there was a possibility I would have had the BSO with my TAH at 35, so I prepared for that possibility and I know that isn't easy.

Lots of s for you, dear.
Unread 08-19-2004, 05:01 PM

Hi Auntem,

I had a lavh & bso 2nd Aug, will be 37 in Nov.

Although Im still in recovery, I feel better than I have in a ve4ry long time. No weepiness no meno symptoms (yet). Most of the posts you have read seem to be negative ( but mostly during recovery) & you must remember that although you may feel well in yourself your body has been thru a very traumatic time, I am very eagerly awaiting the time my body heals & I will be living life like a normal person..

Not everyone has had a bad recovery & there are lots of women who's lives are greatly improved form this sort of surgery.
Everyone is different & that's the biggest challenge (no-one can tell you how you will be post-op) it's a little like russian roulette.
But I feel that knowledge, positive thinking & acceptance are vital to a successful outcome.

Goodluck with your decision (you dont have to have the surgery, if you really dont want too.)

Cheers from

Unread 08-19-2004, 05:11 PM
auntem

You have to also, remember that most Princesses do not come to post-op when they have no problems occuring. Some of us oldies still hang around for the new Princesses and LIW.

I had no symptoms like you, only a severe prolapse of uterus bowel and bladder, which was very uncomfortable no pain or bleeding. Had a few post-op problems, mainly because of the bowel and bladder repairs. Only wish that I had done the op sooner when I was younger and maybe have recovered faster.

Michelle is right if in doubt seek a second opinion. Only you can decide what is right for you.

The sisters will always be by your side. Good luck in your decision. for you.
Unread 08-19-2004, 09:36 PM
hemorrhagic cysts

I had a hemorhagic cyst 9 years ago. It was discovered when the pain was thought to be from a kidney stone. I was very ill at the time from bronchitis and had to wait. I was supposed to have it removed laprascopically but when the doctory inserted the scope into the abdominal cavity, all that came back was infectious material and blood (sorry so graphic;I'm a nurse). Apparently the cyst had absessed and ruptured with the scope. I had to have abdominal surgery. I lost a lot of blood when it ruptured and was close to getting a blood transfusion (My blood count was low prior to surgery because the cyst was taking in blood). My biopsy was not cancer. My doctor said these cysts are rarely cancerous. So my advice to you is to get it out as soon as possible before you have complications like me. I was never the same after that. The doctor messed up my incision and after he took the staples out it opened up and I needed to get home health care to pack the incision so it healed from the inside out. The infectious material from the abessses that ruptured into my abdominal cavity caused severe adhesions. My messed up incision caused a hernia a year after the surgery. The hernia came back a few years ago but I delayed getting it fixed because the doctor wanted to do a TAH BSO first so I could have mesh. I finally had my TAH BSO with hernia and mesh 10 days ago and hope I can finally get on with like. I will pray for you. Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register