Any School Bus Drivers out there? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any School Bus Drivers out there? Any School Bus Drivers out there?

Unread 08-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Any School Bus Drivers out there?

HI All!,
I have seen all the teacher posts and was wondering if there are any Bus Drivers out there that have been through a TVH with A&P repairs. I am scheduled for surgery on 9/27/04. I am also a Hairstylist when I am not driving. So basically I work a 14hr day.
3 hrs driving then drive home, then 2 hrs. Hair, drive back, then 4.5 hrs driving Bus again , then drive home then 2 hrs. Hair. I am tired allready...phew!

I was wondering if anyone else drives for a living and how long did it take for you to get back to work and how did you feel when you got back to work ? Did you use a special pillow? Do you have any suggestions about what to do and not to do? I am very nervous about messing up all the good work my Dr. did. (I hope)Especially the A&P repair...OUCH!

I miss my kids already (all 60 of them) and I know it will be tough on the sub drivers to take over my crew. Anyone have any stories about dealing with kids after you returned?

Hope to hear from someone..I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

Take Care,
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2004, 04:58 PM

Hi Karen

I don't drive a school bus. The closest I've come to that is a minivan full of kids.

I did want to say, though, that I really admire anyone who can do that job. It takes a very special person to be able to drive safely and control a busload of often rowdy kids.

Kudos for the job you do to make certain the kids arrive safely to school and home again, in all kinds of weather!

You're a sweetie to be concerned about them having a substitute driver while you are out. I hope your surgery goes well and that you have an easy recovery.

s
Unread 08-20-2004, 05:11 PM

Thanks April,
I really do LOVE my job. I only wish I had a clue as to how it feels to Drive something that big after this surgery. I'm sure someone out there will tell me before I go to the castle next month.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2004, 06:16 PM

Hi! I am a school bus driver. This is my 3rd school year. Ugh! Why oh why?!?!? LOL - I do love my kids!!!!!
My surgery was June 16 (TAH/BSO - horizontal cut) and I returned to work August 2. My tummy has been fine. I haven't used any pillows or anything. The first week I got really tired, but that has improved. - Your schedule is FULL!!!! Whew!!!! I don't have another job between my runs. You are one busy woman! You go girl! - You'll just have to play it by ear when you retun to work. Maybe you could drive your routes first and then later ease into your hairstylist job (or visa versa)sp? and just see how it goes from there. Best of luck to you!

My only complaint is the HEAT! Why in the world do they want to start to school so early in the South????? It's sometimes hot here through October! No A/C on these buses. We have recorded temps up to 113 degrees (on the road) and 120 degrees (sitting idle) on our buses. Some kids have to stay on these buses for over an hour. Not to mention the special needs kids. Poor babes....they suffer the most. - Anyway.....we are working on getting A/C....school board meetings, petitions, etc.....I drive 6 hours a day. 2 in the am and 4 in the pm. - pre-k, high school, middle school. Those middle schoolers are a handful!- The county doesn't run these buses anymore. For the past 5 years a major transportation company has run them. You probably know which one it is to!!!! - Oh yeah......we have to do door to door service if at all possible.....I get my bus into some pretty tight squeezes!!!!!

Sorry to vent on your thread.

Do you use 2 way radios on your buses? Radio codes? 10-8 in service....etc? This year in our county, we have 257 buses operating! The bus I'm driving right now is an '03 - it is a 72 passenger bus. 38 feet long instead of 35 feet long. That tail-swing is a pain! - Even though I don't transport 72 kids, can you imagine 1 adult to 72 kids?!?!?!? The most I transport is my middle schoolers....usually 50 or so on any given day.

Negotiations are coming up with this company and if a lot of things don't change, there will be quite a few bus drivers that will not stay.....including me. - I like the hours, weekends and holidays off, and the pay is ok (could be better) The south is always the lowest paid. "But"......there's a lot of problems that come with that but......anyway....we have a Union....do you have a Union?

Oh well.....Thanks for letting me run my mouth! Stay safe out there!
Unread 08-21-2004, 12:20 PM

HI Miztrina,

I am so glad that you vented here

I drive High school and Elem. students during school year and special needs during summer. I know what you mean about heat...I wish we had A/C also but I don't see that coming anytime soon up here. When the kids ask me to turn it on I tell them all we have is 22/30 A/C... 22 windows @ 30 mph. They don't like that answer. As for those middle schoolers...GOD BLESS you! I hope to never a route with middle schoolers.
We are still run by the School District here I don't think they will ever go Chartered although there were a few heated arguements about that subjected last year. We do have a Union...if thats what you call it...not very helpful in most cases except for the fact that they keep us unchartered. Pay is OK... with split shift pay ($20 a day) we start at just over $11 plus split shift. We don't do door to door...THANK GOD! We have stops and THEY have to come to US. Except pre-k...do you have trouble with parents getting kids off the bus there? we do. and Yes we do use 2-way.....I'm 10-7 now...can't wait to 10-8 on Sept. 8th

I think I will cut down on Salon hours but can't lower drive times.

Thanks for venting and input...if there is anything esle you can think of to help me out please let me know.

Crank up those fans and get yourself one of those neck things you can put on freezer...that works for me.

Take care,
Karen
Unread 08-21-2004, 04:18 PM

Wow! They aren't starting school there till Sept. 8? It would be better here if they waited till September to start school.
Hmmm....split shift pay.....not here! Wow! That's an extra hundred bucks a week! (very interesting) I will bring that up at the next union meeting. Our union works hard for us...or at least tries to.
Hopefully our pay will increase with the new contracts. My pay (as most of us) will go up to $9.01 per hour next month. This is my 3rd year driving......I (all of us) should be making more than that. At least it's not minimum wage. I am thankful for that. - They took over the school buses one county over and they are starting them out at $10.88 an hour......the cost of living is NO different there than here. - We are so short of drivers. We have NO subs! It has been a mess.
As far as parents getting pre-k off the bus? Oh yeah! We have that problem to! Some parents see buses as a rolling day-care on wheels. If I got time, I'll try to swing back by.....usually we have to carry them back to the school. I understand someone running late or getting tied up in traffic......but it's the ones that are never there time after time! I'm sure you know what I mean. Problem stops....that's what we call them.
I'll have to find one of those neck coolers. Thanks! Right now I use hand towels and ice......LOTS of ice! LOL - Oh btw....the newer buses don't have fans! Ugh!
22/30 A/C I will definitely have to rember that one!!!!
I don't want you to think I hate my job......I don't! I love my kids! I just think that with the huge responsibility that we have, we should be paid better and treated better. - I had perfect attendance last year and all I got was a certificate....lol.....couldn't they have given me a little raise or bonus? *sigh
God speed to you when you 10-8 come September!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register