burning | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-21-2004, 12:03 PM
burning

Sheri,

Eight weeks after my TAH in March, I developed a horrible burning/itching sensation in my face everyday. It begins around 11 am and continues until around 8 pm. No doc has been able to tell me why. I am on Vivelle dot, but it hasn't helped at all. Is this a fibromyalgia symptom? I have some of the things on the checklist, but this skin thing is driving me crazy.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2004, 12:20 PM
burning

Diane,
Have you seen a dermatologist? Is that your only symptom? You could try a different form of hrt and see if it gets better. That would at least let you know if it's the hrt causing it.

I don't have fibro so I can't help you with any first hand experience with it. However, if you're not having any other symptoms, it may not be fibro. You can check out our Resources section for more info on fibro HysterSister Resources
Unread 08-21-2004, 07:57 PM
burning

Hi (((Diane))) I'm so sorry you're dealing with this problem

While I'm not dealing with such an issue, I am all too familiar with allergic reactions and I'm wondering if your symptoms could be due to an allergy It could be an allergy either to the Vivelle dot itself or to an ingredient contained in the HRT. Might be worth your while to get tested for this possibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2004, 04:30 PM
burning face

I wasn't given the vivelle dot until after the burning began...my gyn thought that it would help, but it hasn't.
I'm thinking of going off the estrogen, since it hasn't helped...and I wasn't having hot flashes, but I'm scared this burning will get worse, I'm barely able to stand it now.
Should I go to a regular allergist?
Unread 08-22-2004, 07:29 PM
burning

(((Diane)))) Since the burning started before you started the Vivelle dot, it may not be an allergy you're dealing with. Still, consulting an allergist may shed some light on what your dealing with. I guess a regular allergist would be ok.
Unread 08-22-2004, 11:05 PM
burning

When I was having hot flashes I would have the "burning" sensation. I never was one for "sweating" which I know a lot of women associate with hot flashes. Hormones are very powerful components of every single organ of our bodies, nothing in our bodies works without some form of hormone and this includes the skin and vascular system.

I didn't have any luck with the rhuematologist, gynecologist or general practitioner but I did have great success when I finally saw an endocrinologist (and cardiologist).

I hope you can get some help and relief soon.

Best wishes,
Unread 08-23-2004, 05:14 PM
burning

Thanks Lucille,
I hadn't thought an endocrinologist would be necessary...when you had your hot flashes did your skin also become so sensitive that you can't put anything on it? Also, did you go on HRT?
Unread 08-24-2004, 08:12 PM
burning

Sometimes it hurts to put on socks and occasionally, it even hurts to move the hair on my head. Weird as that sounds. Mostly, I feel like I'm "sunburned" but of course, I'm not.

It's hard to tell where "hot flashes" end and an immune disorder begins but yes, I am on NHRT (naturally compounded, bio-identical) and that has stopped what I perceive to be the "hot flashes" entirely. It has also helped GREATLY with those other weird symptoms and aches in my joints and bones. (Not to mention the greatest benefit of all for me; cognitive function!)

In my research, I've discovered that auto immune diseases often rise following hysterectomy and this makes sense to me. (PMID: 9803240) There are those who argue that "hysterectomy" itself can't cause it and that it's "oophorectomies" instead, but more and more research is pointing to hysterectomies contributing to ovarian failure so whether or not you still have one or both ovaries, you may want to get a good hormone work up. (Some examples: PMID: 8651007, PMID: 12737673 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] and http://www.the-bms.org/facts_sh.htm <Link has been submitted to the Resources Library>)

This sure helped me! I hope you can get some relief too.

Hugs,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register