How are the supra-cervical & kept ovary gals doing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How are the supra-cervical & kept ovary gals doing? How are the supra-cervical & kept ovary gals doing?

Unread 08-22-2004, 01:21 PM
How are the supra-cervical & kept ovary gals doing?

Dear sister,
I know there are so few of us I was just wondering how you are all getting along? I had my surgery done on June 17, 2004 due very large fibroids that were still continuing to grow. It was getting past the size of four months, my uterus, and I am a teacher. This was starting to interfere with my job. I was also getting very severe cramps.
I went for the six week, and I combined it with my yearly because it was so close together, and that way I would not have to come back again just for that. After that the doctor said to come back in six months just to check everything out due to having surgery. I am not sure if I will come back or not for that. I guess it just depends on how I am feelling. Does hanyone have any thoughts or feedback on that? Also, please let me know how you are also getting along. I would love to hear.

Sincerely,
Solivia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2004, 01:42 PM

Hi Solivia,

Hey...your forum really caught my eye!!!

I was a big fibroid sister and I had a LSH and kept my cervix and ovaries. I am 4 months post -op. How time has flown by!!!!!!

I am doing great. No more fibroid pain...of course...and I like not having any more aunt flows and no more b.c. Yipeee!!!

I had a uneventful pre-op. No complications. I went for my 6-week exam in early June and I had a greenlight for all activities. My Dr. wants to see me again in October for my annual exam.

I might suggest the 6 month exam since you had surgery this year and it is probably more a "well-care" check just to make sure everything is okay. I think surgeons like to check their work too!!

Best wishes. Having a LSH was one of the best things I ever did. It gave me my health back and I feel very fortunate!!
Unread 08-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks for your response, History lady

Dear Historylady,
Thanks so much for your response. I would love to correspond with you again. I have two almost grown children, but I am still adjusting a little bit psychologically as well to this surgery. How about you? I am sure that in time I will be fine.
Sincerely,
Solivia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2004, 01:54 PM

I had my LSH June 1, and never felt better. I had my surgery without any true diagnosis - I had heavy periods, horrible cramps, etc. The pathology report showed that I did have two small fibroids, and the doctor said that I did the best thing for myself - things would have only gotten worse.

My recovery has been great, still get twinges once in a while, especially after exercise. I don't have to go back to the gyn until next June - Yeah!!!

I'm glad I did this, and wish that everyone could have as positive experiences as I have.

Krista
Unread 08-22-2004, 02:06 PM

Hey Solivia and Krista,

Nice to see two fellow LSH Sisters!!!

Solivia - the mental and the physical take time. I have two DD's, 16 and 21, and there are normal panges even at 46 that I will never have a child again.

And just think of all the positives of being uterus free and still cervix ladies. As I mentioned in my last reply, no more aunt flows, no b.c., no chance of uterine cancer, no continuing battles with fibroids.

And our health. Wow...how I took that for granted before I was diagnosed with fibroids.

Put a smile on your face, ladies!! We are very lucky to be LSH sisters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 08-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Your support is awesome!

Dear Sisters,
You gals are just awesome, and I love you all! Let's stay in touch and stay healthy!
Love ya,
Solivia
Unread 08-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Exactly! two grown children, and still some panges

Dear gals,
I am 46, I have two almost grown children, and I still have those slight panges as well, knowing I will never be capable of having any more children, not that I was planning on it at this stage in my life. But the feeling is so final, although I did not really have much choice in this matter. I know I will be much happier and healthier in the long run. I am starting to feel almost childlike again, with the lighter abdomen and no more periods. I guess I should start embracing the feeling. I will certainly start working on it.

Take care,
Solivia
Unread 08-22-2004, 02:35 PM

I'm 37 with a 7 year old DS. The idea of no more children hit me hard; I'm an only child and didn't really want my child to be one as well. However, life had different plans, and I divorced my son's dad, and my wonderful new husband has two sons and has had a vasectomy. So the chance of another biological child was pretty much out the window. During one of my blue periods before my surgery I had to tell my DH that if he EVER left me after this surgery, I would have to hurt him.

I am pretty much over that now, feeling wonderful, and so happy that I am blessed with the little guy that I do have! Plus, my son's dad married a woman with 3 girls, so he has the best of both worlds - siblings at his dad's house and his own space at home. Couldn't be much better!

Good luck with everything - we've made a big decision, and we should make it as positive as possible!!

Krista
Unread 08-22-2004, 02:36 PM

Hi ladies --

I'm a fellow LSH sister and have had a bit more of a troubled recovery than most. I started bleeding at 2.5 weeks post-op and an ultrasound revealed that my surgeon left behind too much endometrial tissue above the uterus. As it was so close to my original surgery, the bleeding was pretty substantial and I had to go on progesterone pills to suppress it. As of right now, I am scheduled to go back in to the hospital on 8/30 to have my cervix removed.

I am having tons of doubts about this surgery. At the same time I started bleeding, I also started having bladder difficulties that led to the suspicion that I might have a fistula. Thankfully that was ruled out, but it has taken me several weeks to really feel like myself again. Now that I'm feeling good, I am really doubting whether I want to go ahead with the cervix removal at this point. After having the "near miss" with bladder complications, I really hesitate to go back in for more surgery that could lead to real and lifelong bladder difficulties. (I had extensive adhesions between my bladder and uterus.)

I am seeing my surgeon again on Tuesday and will discuss with him the non-surgical alternatives to dealing with this bleeding. Many women here have dealt with mini-periods, and part of me is thinking that if my bleeding eventually levels off to a day or two of spotting or light flow that it might be better to live with that than risk bladder complications. As long as I'm not in pain and not hemorraghing like I did before the LSH, I think I can live with anything. It's risking major damage to my bladder that really worries me.

So we'll see what the future holds as far as the bleeding goes. Despite the problems I've had in my recovery, I am really feeling good now and am so thankful that the 12 years of chronic pelvic pain due to endo and adeno are behind me. Of course I'm disappointed to still be dealing with bleeding following the hyst, but I'm hoping it becomes manageable.

The way I look at it, I can always elect to have the surgery at some future date. But I cannot UNDO the surgery if I go ahead with it and have complications.

Wish me luck!
Unread 08-22-2004, 03:06 PM

Hi fellow LSH sisters! My surgery was on July 21st and, overall, went well. However, when he got inside, the doctor discovered that in addition to the multiple tumors which showed up on ultrasound, I also had adhesions and endometriosis. He was still able to do the surgery as an LSH but had to make the incisions bigger which required internal sutures and external staples. I am just so grateful to him that he was able to get it done, too! I am a teacher and had to be back at work on Augut 9th with the kiddos returning this past Monday, the 16th. It's been a very strenuous two weeks and I find myself more exhausted than I did after the first two weeks last year. This is due to the surgery, so I keep being reminded! I am 48 and never had children and had a really hard time adjusting, mentally, to the thought of this finality even though having a child at this stage in my life is not an option, due to my boyfriend having had a vasectomy years ago. A short 10 days after my surgery was when I SHOULD have had my next period. Once I realized how nice it was going to be with no pain, no pain pills due to that pain, no buying tampons and pads (had to wear both due to the heavy flow) and no more birth control pills to try and regulate the flow and pain, I quickly adapted mentally. I go back to the doctor on the 7th for a 7 week checkup and hope to be released then for ALL activities. Until then, I go to bed early at night and sleep a lot, take it easy at school and ask for help if I need anything lifted or moved.....THAT is the hard part, asking for help!! Good luck to all and hope your recoveries are speedy and uneventful!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register