CT Scan/Bone Scan - Need Info | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CT Scan/Bone Scan - Need Info CT Scan/Bone Scan - Need Info

Unread 08-23-2004, 02:24 PM
CT Scan/Bone Scan - Need Info

I am 5 mos. post op for Stage 1A Endometrial CA. Had total abdominal hysterectomy. When I went back for my 5 month check-up/pap test, my doctor discovered that I had never had a CT scan prior to the surgery and wants to do one now.

Of course, I am a nervous wreck. I have to drink 3 bottles of barium and then have an IV for the contrast. Is this really terrible? Does anyone have any suggestions to make it better? I am a total coward and thought that everything was behind me once I had a surgery and was given a relatively good bill of health. My gyne/onc. said that I was as close to 100% cured as he would ever say at this stage....that you really have to wait the 5 years but that I shouldn't worry.

Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2004, 02:32 PM

Hi I've had this done, and no, it's not really that terrible. I had to pick up the solution at the hospital the day before and drink it then; my best advice on that is get it COLD first and chug it fast.

Then, when I arrived for the scan the next morning, they handed me a cup of truly foul stuff to drink. It was very salty and it was all I could do to get it down - that was the worst part of the whole thing. You may or may not have that second 'cocktail' - my CT was specifically to look at my colon so they needed it.

Finally, the IV... of course you've had an IV before so you know what that's like... the only *twist* is that when they release the contrast agent into the IV, you feel a warm flush starting up high and spreading downwards through your body. It feels for all the world like you just wet yourself, but you didn't... if the technician hadn't warned me about that I might have been a little upset, but I knew it was coming so it was really nothing.

The scan itself doesn't take very long and is painless, and then you're out of there!

You can do this.

s,
-Linda
Unread 08-23-2004, 06:17 PM

Dear Smiley:

I just had my first CT Scan as well - 9 months after surgery etc.

I too was very nervous but I found my nervousness was worse than the actual test.

I just had to drink a very large somewhat strawberry tasting thin shake within two hours before the scan - it had a slightly chalky taste after a little while but bearable.

Then I had the IV contrast injected and knew about the possible warm flush and feeling like you'd wet yourself BUT I didn't feel any of these symptoms so it was very fast and was over before I knew it.

Let us know how all goes. We'll be thinking of you. Sending you

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2004, 09:46 PM

I had that when I was first diagnosed. It really wasn't bad. The IV is nothing and the drink is not great but not awful. I picked it up the day before and got it real cold before I drank it. The Tech told me that it would feel like I was going to wet my pants but I wouldn't. She was right, it felt exactly like that, but nothing happened.

Best,
Janie
Unread 08-24-2004, 09:21 AM

Dear (((Smiley))) The CT scan is very doable and nothing to fear. The "shake" is best taken when real cold; I was given it a couple hours before the exam. Also was warned about the "sensations" including warm/burning feeling in veins; actually felt a bit warm when the IV first went in but that went away and there was no real discomfort. BTW, many gyn/oncs will have follow-up patients take the CT scan once a year as a precaution and I certainly want my gyn to order an annual one for me. Let us know how you do.
s, peggiesue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register