Anyone ever taken Ativan? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone ever taken Ativan? Anyone ever taken Ativan?

Unread 08-25-2004, 11:26 AM
Anyone ever taken Ativan?

My doc prescribed it for anxiety related to chronic pain caused by endometriosis. I've never taken anything like it and I wonder if it will make me zone out or anything like that?

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2004, 12:09 PM

I have taken it on occasion, also Xanax for anxiety. Depending on the mg. is how it will affect you. Since your Dr prescribed it, I would say he thinks it is good for your symptons. Anytime I get something I am not sure of, I take it at a time when I have no other commitments and see how it affects me. We are all different in our reactions. Good luck.
Constance
Unread 08-25-2004, 01:03 PM

Hi,

My doctor prescribed it when my journey to a hysterectomy began back in March. They were doing tests for cancer first and I was panicky and could not sleep. I had taken Benadryl to help me sleep and she said that this was better for me.

I still take it on occasion if I am stressed and cannot sleep.

Hope you feel better.

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2004, 02:36 PM

I took it the whole time I was pregnant because I was stressed out about hyperemesis and being unable to eat. It didn't put me to sleep because it was very low dosage, .5 mg... now when I had dental work doneand needed to be as unaware as possible, I was presacribed ativan 2.0 mgs and it worked well to put me to sleep.
Unread 08-25-2004, 04:00 PM

Hey! I am a pharmacist, and I might have some help for you. Ativan is a member of the same class of drugs as xanax, valium, etc.... If taken for a concrete reason, for a prescribed amount of time, Ativan can do wonders for transient anxiety . Never be afraid to take a half dose of any of these meds, and try them at a time when you dont have to drive, or watch small children, in case you have an extreme reaction. Once you see how it affects you, increase your dose to the amount prescribed by your MD.
Unread 08-25-2004, 05:23 PM

I completely agree with above post. Never take it if you have to drive. Although your reaction maybe different, ativan makes me feel a little loopy... but completely eases any anxiety, which is great. I would just not do anything of real importance while on it.
Unread 08-25-2004, 05:55 PM

I do know ativan is addictive. I work in a mental hospital and alot of our clients are on it and seek it as often as they can. Please be very careful. My Gyn put me on 50 mg zoloft for anxiety and depression. I followed up with my GP. He upped the zoloft to 100mg and put me on .05 clonzapam 2x a day for anxiety and to help me sleep. Since I went back to work 7 weeks ago I have lost interest in home life. I feel zoned out. I quit the clonzapam aa few weeks back. I called my gyn who put me on the zoloft and he said the dose was too high, cut back to 50 mg. I also asked how to wean off of it. He gave me answers that my GP refused to talk about. All he said was stay on the 100mg and he would see me in 6 months. I feel much better on the 50 mg and plan on cutting down to 25 mg in a couple weeks as my gyn suggested. I will be off of the zoloft in a couple weeks.

Be careful with the ativan. It would scare me to take it.
Peggy
Unread 08-25-2004, 10:08 PM

I have take ativan occasionally.. I have a .5 dose. I use it for my anxiety and restlessness. It doesnt zone me, I never drive when i take it,not that i couldnt, just dont feel anyone should drive with any kind of narcotic on board. I feel like it helps me less anxious, I have taken 1mg and i do tend to get a little sleepy ..I would only take 1mg before a procedure. As far as addiction, I dont see the need to take it everyday. i have used 40 pills in 4months, so about 10 A month..If you do have high anxiety i feel is a good drug for me..we are all different

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register