What is fluffy-and overweight and obese? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is fluffy-and overweight and obese? What is fluffy-and overweight and obese?

Unread 08-25-2004, 03:51 PM
What is fluffy-and overweight and obese?

2 years ago I weighed 206 pounds-I am 5'4 and 3/4 inches tall and 54 years old now. Since then I lost quite a bit of weight. On my surgery report the gyn wrote 5'5" 160 pound, "moderately obese" 54 year old female.

Then at 7 weeks post op, I weighed 153 and he said I was probably about the right weight and should try to maintain that-I told him I planned on losing about 15 or 20 more, depending on how I look and feel. I am wearing a size 10 jeans, but I did have an abdominoplasty with the hyster-they took 2 1/2 pounds of skin and fat off.

Ok, I still have more weight to lose, but I know obese is a medical term, what exactly is obese as far diagnoses go? Do they use insurance charts or medically based charts, or BMI or what.
I noticed there are several threads about docs and their attitudes and refusing surgery unless somone loses weight.

I am confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2004, 05:25 PM

Hi praire,

I've worked as a nurse for many years and have seen many, many doctors describe a (seems to me anyways) normal sized person as having an 'obese' abdomen etc. I think they use the term to indicate there an overabundance of adipose tissue (fat) on a certain part of the body. I think Doctors believe that a patient can be in a normal weight range, and still be obese.

I wish I knew the exact web site. (don't though) but go to a search engine and type in BMI, you can add your weight, height, and sex and the site will tabulate whether you are offfically 'overweight' 'obese' 'severally obese' etc.

Hope this helps
Unread 08-25-2004, 05:51 PM

Obese? You have got to be kidding me!! I recently lost 35lbs. and went down to around 140 lbs. I am 5'4". I now in the last 6 months have gained back around 15 lbs. I would not however consider myself "obese". I am still in a size 9-10, have never seen or heard of an obese women wearing a size anywhere close to that unless she was like 4 foot and 12 years old.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register