scared to death | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared to death scared to death

Unread 08-31-2004, 11:28 AM
scared to death

Hi to all-I am 38 years old and have cancelled my hysterectomy 2 times. I am terrified of the after affects. I have heard so many horror stories that I have convinced myself that the pain I have every month is not as bad as the surgery. My sister in law had her surgery and has gained an enormous amount of weight and her personality has done a complete turn around. Does this happen to everyone? Can someone tell me how long it will be before you feel normal again? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2004, 11:50 AM
scared to death

I had a partial hystectomy when I was 31. My uterus was prolapsed and I felt like I was havingpre-menstrul back pain and bloat 3 out of 4 weeks every month. Cronic pain becomes draining on all aspects of your life. Surgical pain gets better everyday until it becomes past tense.

I now need to goback for surgerysoon to get rid of a cantelope that is growing on my ovary. once this is done, the whole "factory" will be shut down.I've lived very happily without my uterus and yes I gained some weight,but the absence of pain every month was well worth it. I'm 51 now and have no regrets about living with pain. It's well worth it,and I bet you won't believe how painful it's been until it's not there anymore. Good luck!
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:56 AM
scared to death

Hi! I just wanted to tell you my POSITIVE story. I was 44 when I had my hyst. I just wish I'd done it as soon as the doctor recommended it as an option instead of going thru several other treatments. My surgery went smoothly. I was only in the hospital for 2 nights. I felt great after a couple of weeks but didn't go back to work until 4 weeks.

Will you be keeping your ovaries? I did and I don't have any hormone or mood swing problems. I'd have to say my personality has only improved. It's great not worrying about the heavy bleeding interrupting plans!

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2004, 12:10 PM
scared to death

Hi! I cancelled my surgery this past summer because I was scared too. But I have to say I am reconsidering because my pelvic pain is not getting any better.

What gives me hope about the operation is that I know 5 women who have had it and have said it is the best thing that has ever happened to them.

I know this might not be of much help but I think in the end you've got to trust your gut on this one. I also think that you need to be ready to do it. My doctor said if I wasn't ready, there was no point in doing it.

Good luck!
Sue
Unread 08-31-2004, 12:35 PM
scared to death

Thanks to all of you. I think I am ready. I feel like that movie the runaway bride. (ha!) I keep scheduling then cancelling. But I guess its ladies such as yourself that give me some light at the end of the tunnel. There are many more positives to having this done than not. I have no children and recently became engaged to a man with 3 wonderful children-so god has given me that and I beleive he will help me with my decision. I will keep you all up to date when it gets closer. Again thanks so much to all of you. Take Care!
Unread 08-31-2004, 01:23 PM
scared to death

Bon Lou
I am 39 years old, and had my surgery 13 days ago. If your story is anything like mine, you are tired of the pain and bleeding that happens each month. I too was scared about my decision, as a matter of fact, my dr presented the idea and gave me two months to think and explore. She is a very wise woman, because there are a lot of fears and horror stories out there. But... I am fortunate to know at least 9 women that I work with, attend classes with, or live in the neighborhood with who have been supportive and honest about their hysterectomy experience. It made a huge difference in my own decision. Do you have people like this you can talk to? This site is a good first step.

You are going to have a couple of days of real pain, I will not lie to you. And recovery may seem stressful, but everyday just keeps getting better and better. I am not taking the pain medication as much and am walking outside. As for how your mother responded, everyone is a bit different. I weigh lots now and have other issues to work through. I have never regretted the surgery because I am free of the pain, the bleeding, and the stress and anxiety it all caused. As my friends would say, it is the best thing I have done. Anything beyond this is a piece of cake.
Unread 08-31-2004, 01:40 PM
scared to death

Hi Bon Lou
I, too, was VERY scared about the entire thing - I tried to cancel at 6:30 a.m. on the day of my procedure which was scheduled for 8:00 a.m.!! The anxiety was unbearable. The part that was most anxious for me was the castle stay - wasn't worried about the pain really - just that castle stay and the thought of all the nausea and vomiting I kept hearing about. My dr finally convinced me to just go to the hospital (I was already 30 minutes late!!) and we'd talk about it there. I got there and everyone was very patient although they knew they had alot to do for me in a very short time at this point; I fought it even after I got there and talked to the doctor; finally agreed to just something to help calm me down and that was it - the rest is history. So far everything is going well; the castle stay was very anxiety laden for me for no reason whatsoever other than my own irrational thoughts I guess. They made sure I had Ativan to help with the anxiety and many anti nausea meds. The recovery is going as well as could be expected. This was a very tough decision for me especially since I wasn't having all the pain and discomfort and bleeding that everyone else seems to be experiencing; in fact, I haven't had a period in almost 4 years due to chemo from a bout with breast cancer but there was the possibility of ovarian/uterine cancer, so logically I knew it had to be done just had difficulty getting over that anxiety hump. You need to talk to your doctor NOW, let him/her know your fears, anxieties; if your dr is like mine, they'll do everything in their power to make you comfortable; but they have to KNOW about it before they can help you through it. I have no regrets at this point.
Good luck,
Gloria
Unread 08-31-2004, 02:55 PM
scared to death

Thanks Gloria and Marge. Its nice to see that my fears are not just all in my head. I know that other women survive this every day. I am going to do a lot more studying on it-I have 2 and a half months before the surgery. So in that time I think I can learn all I need to. Glad your both doing well. Hope your recoveries are fast and easy. Take Care!
Unread 08-31-2004, 03:15 PM
scared to death

Hi, I certainly understand your freeking cause I am the same way and I have under 2 weeks to go...I certainly know the anxiety though and it feels like I am going to loose my mind but I realize that its the best for me and it will be over soon enough....Hugs, Denna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register